PDA

View Full Version : I am watching the A&M vs Ark replay and.....

Jack Lambert
10-01-2014, 08:12 PM
How can any A&M fans think our game with them is a automatic win? They look terrible all around. You can't convince me that Ark is better than LSU but when you go to their boards you think Arkanasa is a real good team, LSU suxs and we are over rated. Like I said I am not impress with them at all.

I am a little worried simply because MSU has not done very well with Sumerlins offense but watching this replay I feel way better about it.

RC3
10-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Biggest takeaway from that game for me is that kenny seemed to struggle at times when under pressure. We need to shake his ass up early

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2014, 08:18 PM
How can any A&M fans think our game with them is a automatic win? They look terrible all around. You can't convince me that Ark is better than LSU but when you go to their boards you think Arkanasa is a real good team, LSU suxs and we are over rated. Like I said I am not impress with them at all.

I am a little worried simply because MSU has not done very well with Sumerlins offense but watching this replay I feel way better about it.

They've beaten us easily two years in a row, and they probably only halfway watched our game against LSU. They probably look at us in the same way we look at Kentucky.

Jack Lambert
10-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Biggest takeaway from that game for me is that kenny seemed to struggle at times when under pressure. We need to shake his ass up early

If he struggle in side the state of Texas how is he not going to struggle when there is 65k cowbells ringing?

RC3
10-01-2014, 08:27 PM
We can't ring them while he is under center or during the play. Duh **

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Gonna be honest, this will be A&M's 3rd straight game away from home. How excited are they going to be about waking up early to play an 11:00 game in Starkville, MS?

I could be totally wrong and Sumlin is the greatest motivator of all time, but I'm not sure I see it. This point seems to be getting lost to all the analysts trying to break down this game.

A&M played @ SMU two weeks ago, which is equivalent to us playing at the Liberty Bowl.
Last week they played at Cowboys' Stadium in a very physical, grinding, emotional game, which is like us playing at the Liberty Bowl. Similar distance from campus.
Now they've got to catch a flight on Friday, wake up early, and play in Starkville at 11:00 AM....

If they come out flat, I won't be the least bit surprised

Jack Lambert
10-01-2014, 08:34 PM
We can't ring them while he is under center or during the play. Duh **

Once the ball is snap it's game on again but I don't think the ringing is going to stop.

IMissJack
10-01-2014, 08:49 PM
I follow Texags, and they are hanging their hat on our secondary being ranked 121 out of 125 in the nation.

msstate7
10-01-2014, 08:52 PM
I follow Texags, and they are hanging their hat on our secondary being ranked 121 out of 125 in the nation.

Which is a very promising stat. How confident would we be if aTm ranked that low in rush defense?

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2014, 08:53 PM

Let them keep thinking that. I think they are in for a big surprise.

IMissJack
10-01-2014, 09:06 PM
I'll admit I don't like that stat either. As an MSU fan you cannot logically say a positive stat such as rushing is valid for MSU and the secondary stats are not valid. The stats speak themselves. We have not played well against the pass.

RC3
10-01-2014, 09:11 PM
We've given up about seven bad plays. That may be a lot and you can't really make excuses for it but it doesn't necessarily mean our secondary is garbage either. They have a chance to prove themselves this weekend and I think they'll be up to the task. Hope so anyway

TrapGame
10-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Even Weiner here in Jackson broke down those stats on his show this afternoon and found that we were freakishly inept in the UAB game and without those 1 in a 1,000 type throws from a freshman no one had film on we look a lot better in secondary. He even went so far as to say we surprise A&M with a very solid performance in the secondary Saturday.

IMissJack
10-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Well I hope so as well, but I can tell you that sitting in the endzone of Tiger Stadium, I could see there were some receivers running open, that Jennings did not find because he was either under pressure or just missed. One time in particular the TE was running uncovered down the middle to the field, and he through it to someone else.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2014, 09:20 PM
I'll admit I don't like that stat either. As an MSU fan you cannot logically say a positive stat such as rushing is valid for MSU and the secondary stats are not valid. The stats speak themselves. We have not played well against the pass.

Agree, but the timing of many of those plays leads me to believe that it was more of a focus problem and not a talent problem. LSU needed a half back pass to get a big passing play until our defense mentally shut it down late in the 4th quarter.

Again, our secondary has played poorly at times, but I'm not convinced that it's a talent issue and something that can't be fixed.

We will find out for sure Saturday because I can guarantee our secondary will be focused and would have had 2 weeks to fix issues.

gravedigger
10-01-2014, 09:21 PM
The term you are searching for is whistling past the graveyard

Bothrops
10-01-2014, 09:21 PM
This game will be a tougher test than Lsu. They have a much better offense than Lsu, and Aggies ain't looking past this game. We need to be ready.

We need to be ready.

MabenMaroon
10-01-2014, 09:24 PM
That stat is skewed by a handful of plays from 2 games. One game (UAB) when we were playing extremely vanilla defense and the game was never really in doubt, the second game (LSU) when they were in desperation mode and we had some db's trying to be heroes going for interceptions rather knocking the damn ball down.
I would strongly suspect that Coaches Collins, Hughes and Townshend will probably have that aspect under control. The other 95% of the passing against us has been handled rather well. If the game is in doubt, there will be no way that folks will see us in a 3 man front with our db's playing 15 to 25 yards off the wr's .
It has been pretty clear from interviews the past two weeks that the coaching staff has learned some lessons. We had the same problem last year early in the season and the db's and staff drastically improved as the year wore on. This year, we are way ahead in development compared to last year.

Belegal
10-01-2014, 09:28 PM
I know we can't ring when qb under center- what about standing in shotgun looking to sideline or calling signals?

IMissJack
10-01-2014, 09:30 PM
I think you have to stop when center is over the ball, not when QB is under center.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2014, 09:33 PM
This game will be a tougher test than Lsu. They have a much better offense than Lsu, and Aggies ain't looking past this game. We need to be ready.

We need to be ready.

I think it's about the same test. LSU has a better defense than A&M, but A&M has a better offense. We are playing in DWS rather than Tiger Stadium at night, we have had a week off, A&M is playing their 3rd straight road game, and this one at 11:00 AM following a physical, emotional game last weekend.

We'll see, but I don't view this game as the monumental challenge that others may. We will have to play well, but I think, if we play well, we should win.

DancingRabbit
10-01-2014, 09:49 PM

So, is our secondary waiting in the weeds? Could our UAB and late-game LSU pass D failings lull the Ags into complacency?

For their fans, heck yeah.

For some of the the players, maybe. Coaching staff - not likely. I figure the coaches watch enough tape to not take the bait, and they're telling the players. But some of the players won't listen.

I won't ever fall for the vanilla thing again, but I think the DBs are better than they showed on those 8-10 bombs that labeled them the weak link.

RC3
10-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Our DBS, safeties and fast as shit linebackers can tackle. Look they are going to catch some balls. Tackle. Keep them out of the endzone

RC3
10-01-2014, 09:52 PM
And I predict that either wells or bmac takes a pick 6 to de casa

TimberBeast
10-01-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm watching the game tonight too, only in the 2nd quarter but so far Arkansas scares me more than A&M. I guess they are going to get better as the game goes on but I'm not impressed so far.

Augustus
10-01-2014, 10:50 PM
I'm watching the game tonight too, only in the 2nd quarter but so far Arkansas scares me more than A&M. I guess they are going to get better as the game goes on but I'm not impressed so far.

There was nothing to be impressed by until the 4th quarter.

We missed a wide open receiver for a TD (by the way, I'm an Aggie. Howdy), Pope caught an easy TD pass but then promptly tripped over a yard line and landed on his face. Josh Reynolds dropped a TD pass and another catch that would've given A&M a 1st down inside the 5 if he doesn't score. And so on.

We failed to play safe on a punt. Cost us a TD.

4th quarter was better. Defense finally shut 'em down and offense started clicking. And by clicking, I mean catching the football.

Hopefully we'll play 4 quarters against y'all, because it'll be ugly if we don't.

RougeDawg
10-01-2014, 10:54 PM
We've given up about seven bad plays. That may be a lot and you can't really make excuses for it but it doesn't necessarily mean our secondary is garbage either. They have a chance to prove themselves this weekend and I think they'll be up to the task. Hope so anyway

I will say all but one of the big plays (trick play vs LSU) have all occurred when we were either tinkering with defensive scheme/personnel or when we called off the pass rush and our DLineman were not going after the QB and were simply playing more contain the pocket. I have watched every replay, and when we want to play our defense we don't give up big pass plays. When we half ass rush and make sure QB stays contained, and lab all drop into mid coverage we give up long plays. Most of the big plays are when we are man with no help over top, and we aren't rushing the passer. All of these characteristics are not our normal defense. When we do our thing, nobody does a damn thing against us. We will pressure Hill and force some turnovers. Ark defense is a cake walk compared to ours.

urfatso
10-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Do you guys seriously ring cowbells? I can't wait to hear that. What is the story behind this?

TimberBeast
10-02-2014, 01:30 AM
There was nothing to be impressed by until the 4th quarter.

We missed a wide open receiver for a TD (by the way, I'm an Aggie. Howdy), Pope caught an easy TD pass but then promptly tripped over a yard line and landed on his face. Josh Reynolds dropped a TD pass and another catch that would've given A&M a 1st down inside the 5 if he doesn't score. And so on.

We failed to play safe on a punt. Cost us a TD.

4th quarter was better. Defense finally shut 'em down and offense started clicking. And by clicking, I mean catching the football.

Hopefully we'll play 4 quarters against y'all, because it'll be ugly if we don't.

I appreciate your view but after watching the entire game I'm still not impressed. A&M had about 3 big plays that even kept them in the game. Arkansas dropped 3 or 4 interceptions. I hope it goes our way Saturday but I'm not seeing anything special in that game. Run the ball Mullen.

RC3
10-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Do you guys seriously ring cowbells? I can't wait to hear that. What is the story behind this?

You're gonna hate em. That's why we do it

TheRef
10-02-2014, 07:22 AM

http://www.alumni.msstate.edu/s/811/index.aspx?sid=811&gid=1&pgid=761