PDA

View Full Version : Let's take a look at our matchup with UCA and McCahalan their Ace....

CadaverDawg
05-28-2013, 11:17 AM
First of all, we've got to be happy to see a RHP, and one that we faced and beat this year. We will likely combat him with Pollo, and UCA hasn't seen him this year. I like that Pollo will be facing them, because they are not a power club and Pollo can limit their running game from the left side.

As for our lineup, I see Cohen going with our typical lineup against RHP's, BUT do you go with the hot hitting Henderson, or matchup with Robson? Robson had some good at bats in the SECT, but I would start Henderson due to post season experience as well as his solid glove in LF.

I'm expecting a lineup similar to this....

Frazier SS
Detz DH
Renfroe RF
Pirtle 2B
Rea 1B
Bradford CF
Henderson LF
Frost 3B
Ammo C

Personally, I hope that South Alabama beats Mercer and both of their Aces pitch in that first game. Mercer is the scariest team in our bracket to me, because they are a power club that hits a lot of HR's and extra base hits. In a big park, that can hurt us. Plus, Mercer has a better pitching staff depth-wise....according to numbers anyway.

One good thing about the possible Mercer matchup in game 2 is that we will have Graveman going, and that is who we want going against a team with power. Not only is he our best, but he's a ground ball guy.

Just my thoughts after looking at the opponents.

Sandman14
05-28-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't know personally, but Todd has mentioned mercer lacks pitching depth.

Also, I don't have the stats in front of me, but why would we want Frost at 3b? He's made about 2 great plays all year and seems to crucify us every chance he gets with errors at 3b.

the power hitting of mercer would be scarier in a small park, not a big one, right? the ball just gets right out of the yard in a small park. the big park favors the small ball teams.

agree about graveman. it works out perfectly to have him already settled into the Saturday role.

Cohen HAS GOT to get Porter in the lineup. I'm going:

Frazier SS
Detz 3B
Renfroe RF
Pirtle 2B
Rea 1B
Bradford CF
Henderson LF
Porter DH
Ammo C

CadaverDawg
05-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Again, the lineup I listed was what I "expect" from Cohen....not necessarily how I would do it. That is also why I have Frost at 3rd. Cohen will likely start Frost at 3rd against a RHP so that he can DH Detz bc he thinks Frost is a better 3rd baseman.

And based on Mercer's stats..........they have two really solid starters and not much after that. I was talking about starting pitching depth. In other words, Mercer can throw their Ace against South Alabama, and then come back and throw a better pitcher in game 2 than any other team in our Regional can throw at us in game 2.

Also, in regards to the power hitting comment...Yes, in terms of HR's I like our park. But again, a power hitting team will hit more balls in gaps, and that can hurt you in a large park.

Read the stats and think about what Cohen does before completely dismissing half of my post.

maroonmania
05-28-2013, 11:32 AM
I actually would think a power club like Mercer would be at a disadvantage in our park. One thing that hurt us last year was playing a power hitting Samford in a smaller park like what FSU has. And we did beat UCA on the Friday night game with their ace pitching but it was only a 4-2 game so whoever we pitch, and I am assuming its Pollo, we will need a quality start from them.

Actually at this point my 3 starters would be Pollo, Graveman and Fitts. I just don't trust Lindgren any more because he is too susceptible to a melt down inning where he gives up 4 or 5 runs. Fitts may give up a hit here or there but I haven't seen him just suddenly lose it on the mound like Lindgren seems to do lately. I would probably go to Lindgren as the 4th starter with a quick hook if he gets into early trouble.

SaltyDawg
05-28-2013, 11:35 AM
I like that lineup Cadaver. I'd switch Ammo and Frost though- always liked a "leadoff" type hitter in the 9-hole.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2013, 11:39 AM
You guys would be wrong about the big park hurting them. The dimensions are very similar except for RC Field.

Mercer's field dimensions:

Field dimensions Left Field: 330 ft
Left Center Field: 370 ft
Center Field: 400 ft
Right Center Field: 350 ft
Right Field: 320 ft

Dudy Noble Dimensions:

Field dimensions LF: 330, LC: 376, CF: 390, RC: 374, RF: 326

SaltyDawg
05-28-2013, 11:40 AM
I still trust Lindgren, I don't know why but I'd like to see him get the nod over Fitts for Game 3- with a very short leash. Y'all realize that we have moved our fences in from last year- but it is still a bigger park than most. I'd prefer to play USA to beat Mercer also.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2013, 11:40 AM
I like that lineup Cadaver. I'd switch Ammo and Frost though- always liked a "leadoff" type hitter in the 9-hole.

Yea, I was really trying to think like Cohen, so it would give him a RH bat before Frazier and Detz late in the game if they brought in a LHP. It wouldn't allow them to matchup with several straight lefties.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I still trust Lindgren, I don't know why but I'd like to see him get the nod over Fitts for Game 3- with a very short leash. Y'all realize that we have moved our fences in from last year- but it is still a bigger park than most. I'd prefer to play USA to beat Mercer also.

I'm with you, Salty. Let Lindgren pitch game 3, that way IF there is a game 4 we have Fitts and staff instead of Lindgren and a potentially burned up pen. Just keep Lindgren on a really short leash. But remember everybody, Lindgren pitched great pre conference....and these teams aren't Vandy. He pitched fairly well against South Carolina.

maroonmania
05-28-2013, 11:44 AM
You guys would be wrong about the big park hurting them. The dimensions are very similar except for RC Field.

Dudy Noble Dimensions:

The biggest difference is the fact the ball just doesn't carry well at our park moreso than the exact dimensions. Although even without that 24 feet is still big difference there in the RC power alley. Seriously, when is the last time we have given up multiple HRs to an opponent in the same game. It may be all the way back to the LSU game with Mason Katz hitting 2 himself in the first game of that series but there aren't a lot of teams out there with a Mason Katz type player.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2013, 11:48 AM
The biggest difference is the fact the ball just doesn't carry well at our park moreso than the exact dimensions. Although even without that 24 feet is still big difference there in the RC power alley. Seriously, when is the last time we have given up multiple HRs to an opponent in the same game. It may be all the way back to the LSU game with Mason Katz hitting 2 himself in the first game of that series but there aren't a lot of teams out there with a Mason Katz type player.

Yea, but I think you're taking my point the wrong way. Home runs can get you back in a game, or put a game out of reach, quicker than anything else in baseball. I don't like the odds of a team stringing together multiple hits against our staff and beating us. But I COULD see a team that hits a lot of HR's and Gappers stringing a few together against our contact pitchers and scoring several runs on just a few hits.

But, yes, your point is valid.

Coach34
05-28-2013, 12:00 PM

Dudy Noble Dimensions:

While true- the ball doesnt carry the same at different parks. You damn near have to Mark McGwire to hit it out of Dudy-Noble in CF

SaltyDawg
05-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Yea, I was really trying to think like Cohen, so it would give him a RH bat before Frazier and Detz late in the game if they brought in a LHP. It wouldn't allow them to matchup with several straight lefties.

Ah, true. Didn't think about the top of the lineup. Maybe Demarcus 9-hole. At this point though I have zero confidence in Robson. I think he'll be a good player for us one day, but just not his time right now. I think his speed is valuable off of the bench as a pinch runner in a late game situation.

War Machine Dawg
05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
I go with Robson over Henderson. Henderson's hitting on late is a blind squirrel finding a nut, so far as I'm concerned. And there's no difference defensively between them.

And if I see E5 Frost at 3B aGAIN, I may hurl. Put Detz there, DH Porter. That's our best lineup.

Todd4State
05-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Dudy Noble Dimensions:

When I was doing my article last night, I wanted to know how many of Mercer's hitters were LH, and for some reason they did not list that. I thought that was sort of odd, but it's very pertinent information relative to their ballpark. I would not be surprised at all if they have several LH hitters in their lineup.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2013, 12:21 PM
When I was doing my article last night, I wanted to know how many of Mercer's hitters were LH, and for some reason they did not list that. I thought that was sort of odd, but it's very pertinent information relative to their ballpark. I would not be surprised at all if they have several LH hitters in their lineup.

Good point. They could have taken advantage of their short RF all year

maroonmania
05-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I go with Robson over Henderson. Henderson's hitting on late is a blind squirrel finding a nut, so far as I'm concerned. And there's no difference defensively between them.

And if I see E5 Frost at 3B aGAIN, I may hurl. Put Detz there, DH Porter. That's our best lineup.

I am starting to get a little skiddish on Robson's defense. First, he had the misplay in CF on the ball in the SC game while CT was pitching and then in the SEC tourney he kept playing so far back that balls that should have been routine flies were dropping in for singles. Now maybe he was being told to play that far back but it didn't work in any case.

Coach34
05-28-2013, 12:34 PM
You can give up on Cohen playing Porter- and at this point, I'd just wish he didn't after he has been wasting away on the bench the last 2 weeks.

SaltyDawg
05-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Hendo has to be the guy in left, IMO.