PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss fans bragging about stuffing Memphis' "explosive offense"

blacklistedbully
10-01-2014, 04:17 PM
This is where the infamous Ole Miss hype comes in. They want you to believe Memphis was a quality win because Memphis was explosive offensively versus UCLA. Here's the problem with that:

Look at UCLA's defensive results in their other games. Pretty much every team that has played UCLA has either had their best offensive performance in total yards, or has come close. ASU amassed 626 total yards in their 35-point blowout loss to UCLA. Here is a partial list of teams that did an as good or better job of defending UCLA's opponents than did UCLA:

Weber State
Richmond
Austin Peay
Middle Tenn
North Texas
Kansas
New Mexico

In fact, of the 13 other teams UCLA's opponents have played, only 3 did appreciably worse than UCLA in total offense given up. So please, let's not pretend putting yards up on UCLA is the sign of a formidable offense. Some of these teams are FCS, and 4 of the FBS programs are in the lower half of the FBS in total offense. UCLA is currently ranked 99 out of 125 FBS teams for total defense. That's pretty telling on its own, but then consider that 3 of the 4 teams UCLA has played have the following Total Offense ranks:

#70 Virginia
#76 Memphis
#110 Texas

How bad does a defense have to be to rank #99 out of 125 when 3 of the 4 teams they've played are the above?

Start digging a little deeper at Memphis and their "explosive offense", and you discover:

Memphis opponent Austin Peay gave up 545 yds to Memphis, but 620 yds to Eastern Illinois.
Memphis opponent Middle Tenn gave up 480 yds to Memphis, but 718 yds to Western Kentucky.

Is Memphis really an "explosive offense" or is it more likely they have simply played really poor defenses?

In short, I think the truth is, UCLA is terrible defensively, relying on their offense to win for them, and Memphis' "offensive explosiveness" is due to the terrible defenses they have played, not because they have a great offense.

Holding Memphis to 104 yards is good, but let's peel away the hype and realize it was not a case of "holding down an explosive offense". Hype, hype, and more hype. Don't buy into it.

Tdawg
10-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Can you get us some data like that on OUR game? Impressive, VERY in depth research

msstate7
10-01-2014, 04:22 PM
That's a lot of research. Did you get any work done today? Haha

TimberBeast
10-01-2014, 04:30 PM
That's a lot of info but in this case it's not needed. UM fans thumping their chest about stopping the high powered, explosive offense of MEMPHIS, is freaking plenty embarrassing enough for them. They might just want to be quiet on that one.

BossDawg
10-01-2014, 07:44 PM
UMiss fans would brag about a damn enema if Freeze gave it to them. I'm not surprised.

blacklistedbully
10-01-2014, 11:19 PM
For your reading enjoyment, I give you the delusional fool and habitual liar, OleMissGuy:

Originally posted by OleMissGuy:

Too many people are focused only on the Ole Miss spread offense. They are putting up very impressive numbers, but the defense is better.

Memphis put up a ton of yards and points against top 10 UCLA. They have an explosive offense.

Against Ole Miss they did not break the 100 yard mark for total offense until their last possession with less than a minute left when the defense was just watching the clock.. Out of their 104 yard total, 42 came on one long pass which led to their only 3 points. They had negative rushing yardage for almost the entire game and ended up averaging .7 (notice the .) yards per carry.

Ole Miss is giving up an average of only 8 points a game, has never trailed for even one second in a game and most of those points were scored against the 2nd and 3rd string defenses late in blowout games.. Don't think the #1 defense has given up a TD in 4 games.

Yes, the offense can score, but against Bama it will be the defense that decides it.

Yes, I predict Ole Miss over Bama in a defensive struggle. You heard it here first.

The Miss St. v A&M game is a puzzle. Ark ran all over A&M. State will, too. But the State pass defense has been atrocious, giving up hundreds of passing yards to lowly UAB. A&M will torch that defensive secondary. Who wins? Tossup.

LSU/Auburn could be surprising. LSU has tons of talent but Jenning was a walking drive killer. New QB could mean a totally different offense. Another tossup.

whosyourdawgy
10-02-2014, 05:56 AM
Don't get me wrong, the Rebs whipped their ass. But watching that game, the Memphis rb's were awful. When they ran a sweep play, I don't see how any defense worth a shit wouldn't tackle his slow ass for a loss. I was amazed that was the best they had. The kid may run a 4.3 for all I know but he was running a 5.0 in that game.

Political Hack
10-02-2014, 06:44 AM
Memphis was down 4 points in the 4th. Any Rebel bragging about that game needs shock treatment therapy.