PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Committee all but admitting they're getting ready to hose the SEC

starkvegasdawg
10-01-2014, 02:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11613931/how-do-cfb-playoff-committee-members-view-conference-strength

Article states that the committee members they interviewed are not putting any stock into the the strength of the conference when selecting the 4 playoff teams. Translation: if we did that then at least 2 of the teams would be from the SEC west...if not 3...and we can't have that. We have to get overrated teams like Notre Dame and FSU into the mix. At least OSU already lost or you could include them too.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit of the only the SEC champion makes the cut. If we thought the BCS was controversial then we all need to buckle up come final committee selection. We ain't seen controversy like what we're about to see come December.

thf24
10-01-2014, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't necessarily like it, especially if it ended up screwing us, but I think that's the way it should be. The main argument here is just like it was against the BCS, that often it's not who everyone thinks/knows are the two/four best teams, but in what championship determination is that ever true? You'll never be giving everyone who deserves one a shot unless everyone plays everyone else, and since that's not possible, might as well spread the representation around a little. I'm also a believer in the idea that if you don't win your (power) conference, you don't deserve to play for a national title over others who did.

Miss. Stake
10-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Why? The top 2 teams the BCS would select will be in the semifinal. You gotta win to get in. SEC may be deeper than it ever has, but lacks true elite teams outside Bama. If 2 SEC teams deserve to get in, then i have confidence they will do that. If not, well the team left out should have won.

Alldawg
10-01-2014, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=thf24;259270 I'm also a believer in the idea that if you don't win your (power) conference, you don't deserve to play for a national title over others who did.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. If you want to play for a National title, win your own conference first.

BulldogBacker
10-01-2014, 02:34 PM
The Committee is not going to select the best 4 teams. Anyone who believes that is delusional. They will select the 4 teams with the best record AND biggest media draw. This will be a media circus. With the strength of the SEC West, we very well could go to Atlanta with a 7-1 or even 6-2 record. If we won the SEC with a 6-2 conference record, and 11-2 overall, I don't think we would be selected.

starkvegasdawg
10-01-2014, 02:40 PM
I agree with this. If you want to play for a National title, win your own conference first.

Even if the team that won their conference and got in would struggle to be .500 in your conference? To me that is penalizing teams just because of where they play. Whoever comes out of the west should make the playoffs. Odds are they will dismantle the east opponent in the SECCG. But whoever finishes right behind the west winner is more than likely a top 4 team. Especially if they are 7-1.

cheewgumm
10-01-2014, 02:45 PM
If it's going to be the case that only one team per conference
Then we would be better off getting into the big 12 or acc or
Just about anywhere else than here, right?

joedog
10-01-2014, 02:45 PM
The problem is not the committee but rather the sample size they have to chose.

4 teams is just ridiculous and no better than the BCS. Many have said 8 would be good but I think 11 would work great.

11 teams gives you the 5 power conference champs plus the 6 next highest ranking teams as wildcards. The wild area play each other and the three winners then go with the 5 champs to an 8 team bracket. The conference champs get a bye for winning their conference. No way a team with a chance at a national title is left out of that scenario. It would add one extra game for the conference champs and two for a wildcard that wins out over the current 4 team system now.

Just plan out the bowls accordingly like they did with the 4 teams. The capital one could host a wildcard along with some of the other mid level bowls.

The excitement to see if your team would make the playoffs would keep people interested longer and would allow proper representation of a dominate conference.

Just my 2 cents on the idea.

LiterallyPolice
10-01-2014, 02:49 PM
The Committee is not going to select the best 4 teams. Anyone who believes that is delusional. They will select the 4 teams with the best record AND biggest media draw. This will be a media circus. With the strength of the SEC West, we very well could go to Atlanta with a 7-1 or even 6-2 record. If we won the SEC with a 6-2 conference record, and 11-2 overall, I don't think we would be selected.

I agree to a certain extent.... but in order for this to be sustainable they have to maintain credibility, especially in the first year.

If they don't choose the SEC Champion they can kiss that credibility goodbye. Now THAT would be a media circus, and not a good one for the selection committee.

campshelbydog
10-01-2014, 02:50 PM

That's not fair to teams in a conference that is actually worth a shit. They should pick the 4 best teams, conference be damned. Every team in the West could win most every other conference out there. The best teams should go to the playoffs.

FlabLoser
10-01-2014, 02:53 PM
The committee adds politics to the process and they will certainly screw things up.

Legal issues forced the NCAA's decision to form the committee. The committee insulates the NCAA from the playoff selection process. Because an objective committee pics the playoff teams, little schools and conferences can't sue the NCAA with anti-trust based claims that some scheme is locking out the little guys.

So, until the NCAA is dissolved, we're stuck the the committee.

confucius say
10-01-2014, 02:54 PM

I could not disagree more. The best 4 teams should be in, period! If they are all from the ACC, then fine. But you have to at least attempt to get the best 4 teams in.

By your logic, Bama should not have been playing in the title game following the 2011 season, as they did not win the SEC, or even the SEC west for that matter. Bama was obviously the best team in the NCAA. Some average (ok, maybe above average) BIG 10 or Big 12 team should have been playing. Totally disagree. When you actively and openly stop trying to get the best 4 teams in, you lose all credibility.

HoopsDawg
10-01-2014, 03:28 PM

That is ridiculous. There have been a ton of Super Bowl champs who didn't win their division. Select the best 4 teams, period. Here's an example, Bama goes undefeated and wins the SEC, they are in. MSU goes 11-1, there 1 loss is at Bama by 3 points. You leave MSU out and take an 11-1 Ohio State team who won the Big 10, but lost to Virgina Tech? I don't think so.

CadaverDawg
10-01-2014, 03:38 PM
I could not disagree more. The best 4 teams should be in, period! If they are all from the ACC, then fine. But you have to at least attempt to get the best 4 teams in.

By your logic, Bama should not have been playing in the title game following the 2011 season, as they did not win the SEC, or even the SEC west for that matter. Bama was obviously the best team in the NCAA. Some average (ok, maybe above average) BIG 10 or Big 12 team should have been playing. Totally disagree. When you actively and openly stop trying to get the best 4 teams in, you lose all credibility.

Exactly.

Not to mention everybody doesn't even play everyone in their own conference...so you may not even have the best two teams in your conference playing in the conference championship. Look at the SEC West for example....do you think the SEC Championship will have the two best teams in the SEC in it this year? Hell no, bc 2 West teams won't be in it.

BLITZII
10-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Humans have always been involved but they are more infused into the selection process now. I think we get what is best for television ratings....we will see a team from large audiences of college football.

Oregon, Alabama, Ohio State and Florida State - Of course this all depends on these teams either going undefeated or with one loss.

PMDawg
10-01-2014, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't necessarily like it, especially if it ended up screwing us, but I think that's the way it should be. The main argument here is just like it was against the BCS, that often it's not who everyone thinks/knows are the two/four best teams, but in what championship determination is that ever true? You'll never be giving everyone who deserves one a shot unless everyone plays everyone else, and since that's not possible, might as well spread the representation around a little. I'm also a believer in the idea that if you don't win your (power) conference, you don't deserve to play for a national title over others who did.

So if we lose to Bama by 3 on the road, we shouldn't get a chance to rematch them on a neutral field (if that's our only loss) just because we didn't win our conference due to said road loss? Sorry, but I disagree.

RC3
10-01-2014, 05:00 PM
My prediction. An 11-1 west team gets left out for the sec champ, fsu, Oklahoma and some other team that isn't better than the 11-1 sec team; Norte dame, or a PAC 10 team with one loss, or michigan state if they don't lose another one or Ohio state, even byu if they win out. They just aren't going to put two sec teams in it if there are 3 other teams with perfect or near perfevt records from other conferences. Just gotta win it all

starkvegasdawg
10-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Humans have always been involved but they are more infused into the selection process now. I think we get what is best for television ratings....we will see a team from large audiences of college football.

Oregon, Alabama, Ohio State and Florida State - Of course this all depends on these teams either going undefeated or with one loss.

I think OSU's ship has sailed this season. They already have one loss and I think Michigan state gives them #2. They are not a very good team without Miller at QB.