PDA

View Full Version : Good article on how hard it is to stop our offense.

boarmassage
09-30-2014, 01:09 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/9/30/6868409/dan-mullen-mississippi-state-offense-coach

War Machine Dawg
09-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Hell of a find. I learned a lot reading that. This offense is definitely built to force the D to be wrong, regardless of the choice they make. Particularly liked how they break down our play-action game by using the pulling guard.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2014, 02:17 PM
outstanding article. I don't like the way it ended, and am not sure why people believe Mullen will leave. He has recruited more dual threat QBs behind Prescott, and this offense should continue to roll for years to come. Why would he leave that?

messageboardsuperhero
09-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Anyone who thinks our O-Lines under Mullen have sucked because they haven't created "push" needs to read this. Our blocking scheme isn't about "pushing" the defense back- it's about blocking at angles to create creases to run through, then forcing the 2nd level defenders to make a decision between the RB and QB... Then when the LBs and safeties get paranoid about stopping our backfield on the zone read option, we go play action.

TrapGame
09-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Mullen's not leaving a top #10 program to go rebuild a bloated, archaic, fallen dynasty of yesteryear. He's got it made in Starkvegas.

DancingRabbit
09-30-2014, 02:45 PM
The author was just on 92.9 and picked MSU over aTm

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Anyone who thinks our O-Lines under Mullen have sucked because they haven't created "push" needs to read this. Our blocking scheme isn't about "pushing" the defense back- it's about blocking at angles to create creases to run through, then forcing the 2nd level defenders to make a decision between the RB and QB... Then when the LBs and safeties get paranoid about stopping our backfield on the zone read option, we go play action.

I am pretty sure Coach34 has been preaching this for the last two years. Also note this: "Players like Prescott or Tim Tebow, who are above all tough and versatile, are more likely to excel than players with a few elite skills or drop-back acumen." I think that hits the nail on the head for what we saw with Tyler Russell as QB. Tyler was a great Dawg, but was a square peg in a round hole.

Goat Holder
09-30-2014, 03:07 PM
I think that hits the nail on the head for what we saw with Tyler Russell as QB. Tyler was a great Dawg, but was a square peg in a round hole.
I don't think anyone will every deny this. What I personally didn't like is the people that said Mullen held Russell back. I think Russell probably did just as much here as he would have done anywhere else, save for Alabama, simply because they had the most dominating OL in the country. I think Mullen HELPED Russell more than he hurt.

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't think anyone will every deny this. What I personally didn't like is the people that said Mullen held Russell back. I think Russell probably did just as much here as he would have done anywhere else, save for Alabama, simply because they had the most dominating OL in the country. I think Mullen HELPED Russell more than he hurt.

I don't disagree with any of that Goat. Unfortunately Tyler got caught in a massive change of how the college game is played. If you put him on our 1991 or 1998 teams, we would probably have a statute of him outside DWS (and Sleepy and Wayne are 2 of my all-time favorites).

Pollodawg
09-30-2014, 03:46 PM
The biggest difference between Dak and Tyler is that Mullen has to reign Dak in. He had to pump Tyler up. And, truthfully, Tyler never got used to the lights or the stage. He was a hometown hero in Meridian where he was the biggest and baddest. In the SEC, he was just another middle-of-the-pack QB. Tyler is a great guy, and he's a nice person. He is. We all know that. He just never clicked like we all wanted him to.

Not to abuse a deceased equine or anything......

Pollodawg
09-30-2014, 03:48 PM
And what I mean by Dak has to be "reigned in" is that Dan and Co. have to keep him in check. He would go for it every fourth down and actively looks forward for the opportunity to stiff-arm somebody's chin strap in two.

Goat Holder
09-30-2014, 03:52 PM
I don't disagree with any of that Goat. Unfortunately Tyler got caught in a massive change of how the college game is played. If you put him on our 1991 or 1998 teams, we would probably have a statute of him outside DWS (and Sleepy and Wayne are 2 of my all-time favorites).

Yeah I wonder about that sometimes. I personally think he was pretty average, but honestly in MSU perspective that's pretty damn good. And that's why he set passing records here. He could hit wide open receivers, and that's a luxury we hadn't had in a long ass time. But you said it best earlier.....he was a great DAWG.

Coach34
09-30-2014, 04:41 PM

seems like I wrote about just that very thing only 1 short month ago

Johnson85
09-30-2014, 05:32 PM

Whether Mullen helped or hurt, Russell was hurt by our wr corps. He never had a legitimate downfield wr to stretch the defense. You give him this years line and receivers and he looks a lot different. Still don't want anothe pocket passer with Mullen, but Russell didn't have complementary parts.

smootness
09-30-2014, 06:22 PM
That's one of the best sports articles I've ever read. Great stuff.