PDA

View Full Version : How close was Chris Jones to being a bear

starkvegasdawg
09-30-2014, 12:26 PM
From an ESPN.com article:

"I wanted to go to both schools, to be honest with you. That's why I struggled with it," Jones said. "Most people from Mississippi understand it, but people outside Mississippi don't really understand it. Either you grow up in a Mississippi State house or an Ole Miss house. I was a little different. My momma liked Ole Miss and my daddy liked State."

Picking between the two schools was excruciating for Jones, but leaving the state was never a consideration.

"This is my state. I wasn't going anywhere else," he said. "It was important to me that I represent this state, and you're going to see more and more players doing that. Everybody knows there are great players here, and you don't have to leave the state to go play great football."

"Up until then, I was planning on going to Ole Miss," Jones said. "That's where I was going, but my dad talked me into going to Mississippi State. It was really close, but I'm glad I chose State. It's what was best for me."

msstate7
09-30-2014, 12:32 PM
What's om's weakness on defense? Stopping run right at them. Add Chris jones to their team and they'd be unbelievablely good. Thank God jones came here

thf24
09-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Interesting, I thought we'd heard through the whole process that his mom was pro-us and his dad was pushing Ole Miss.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2014, 12:36 PM
I never knew it was this close as well. All I ever heard was that Chris was fine, but that his father was the one wanting him to go to Ole Miss.

Turns out, I had it all backwards. He almost went to Ole Miss and his mother was the one that liked Ole Miss and his father liked State.

Is this true?

hailmari
09-30-2014, 12:37 PM
That's what I've always heard. Momma is the State fan, I thought.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2014, 12:37 PM
What's om's weakness on defense? Stopping run right at them. Add Chris jones to their team and they'd be unbelievablely good. Thank God jones came here

They'd still not be able to run the ball on offense and they would still have Dr. Bo at QB.

cheewgumm
09-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Doesn't really matter. I've heard over the years of countless players we "almost" got.

Pointless...though I know fun to speculate.

thf24
09-30-2014, 12:39 PM
I never knew it was this close as well. All I ever heard was that Chris was fine, but that his father was the one wanting him to go to Ole Miss.

Turns out, I had it all backwards. He almost went to Ole Miss and his mother was the one that liked Ole Miss and his father liked State.

Is this true?

That's what I've always heard. Momma is the State fan, I thought.

Since that's at least three of us who were under the same impression, could be typical ESPN getting their facts backwards.

msstate7
09-30-2014, 12:41 PM
They'd still not be able to run the ball on offense and they would still have Dr. Bo at QB.

Yeah I was just talking about defense

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Why do strange, odd things always happen when Ole Miss is involved in a player's recruitment?

When we beat out most any other school, there never seems to be strange occurrings, but, with Ole Miss, the oddest stuff happens.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Nice story don't buy it but nice story. Mom said on signing day that it wasn't a close decision & she had her mind made up long ago that Chris was coming to MSU. Mom was in contact with Mullen the whole time letting him know that her son would be coming to MSU.

gtowndawg
09-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Nice story don't buy it but nice story. Mom said on signing day that it wasn't a close decision & she had her mind made up long ago that Chris was coming to MSU. Mom was in contact with Mullen the whole time letting him know that her son would be coming to MSU.

Did the Mom say at signing day he was going to State (no matter what)? Who knows I guess.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Check out the 1st quote in this article.

http://chickasawjournal.com/2013/02/06/signing-day-jones-and-shumpert-pick-mississippi-state/

RougeDawg
09-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Jesus, ESPN is a complete joke trying to drum up this weekend. Jones lives with his mom. He only went on the OM visit because his dad was enticed to bring him. ESPN has everything exactly backward as usual. What a bunch of dumb F*cks.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Jesus, ESPN is a complete joke trying to drum up this weekend. Jones lives with his mom. He only went on the OM visit because his dad was enticed to bring him. ESPN has everything exactly backward as usual. What a bunch of dumb F*cks.

This

Rosebowl confirmed tonight that Low must've made a mistake in the transcription because the true story is that the mom wanted MSU and the Dad wanted OM. Low pretty much just screwed it up, unless, CJ forgot the real story, which would open up Pandora's box

Obiwandawgbroni
09-30-2014, 10:18 PM
This is another one of bspn's attempts to make it seem like something it wasn't. And on top of that they got caught getting their story all mixed up. I wish cj would just come out and tell on the cheating bastards.

DancingRabbit
09-30-2014, 11:36 PM
I think we should just let the whole issue rest for now.

dawgsfinnaeat
10-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Finishing second in recruiting is like finishing last. It doesnt matter

Political Hack
10-01-2014, 06:10 AM
that's incredibly inaccurate.

thf24
10-01-2014, 07:24 AM
I'd say either ESPN is misquoting or badly paraphrasing him, or he's trolling them.

defiantdog
10-01-2014, 07:56 AM
This kind of reminds me of fletcher Adams naming OM his leader even though he had no intentions on going there. Could our players be trolling the media for shits and giggles?

Dawg61
10-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Finishing second in recruiting is like finishing last. It doesnt matter

This!! Why are we STILL talking about Chris Jones recruiting?! He's a sophomore now. ESPN is awful.

mic
10-01-2014, 08:33 AM
This!! Why are we STILL talking about Chris Jones recruiting?! He's a sophomore now. ESPN is awful.

I agree.. Why are they worried about this.. Why not run a story on the #1 recruit in the country that year..
Basically sounds like someone form the OM PR dept wrote the article , sent it to ESPN and said here use this...

scottycameron
10-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Don't believe this Chris Jones guy. He doesn't even reveal who his sources are. Stick with the recruiting gurus, they do this for a living. This Chris Jones guy acts like he was there, truth is, NOBODY actually knows what went down and what was said behind closed doors. He wasn't a fly on the wall. I'd like to see Rosebowl go one on one with this dude in an interview. My money would be on Steve.
You gotta love crutin"!!!!!

hailmari
10-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Well, the article is wrong in another area so the writer could've been off elsewhere. Hugh's brother did not go to State. I just asked him.

chef dixon
10-01-2014, 12:17 PM
He likes Ole Miss so much he threw up the landshark during the egg bowl last year.

RougeDawg
10-01-2014, 01:00 PM
He likes Ole Miss so much he threw up the landshark during the egg bowl last year.

I threw up while drinking Landshark one time.**