PDA

View Full Version : What would your gameplan be for A&M?

cheewgumm
09-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Mine...and I'm no coach, but here is my fan's view:

and it's really simple:

1) Run JROB 25 times.
2) Pound Hill every play possible.

TrapGame
09-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Agree on both counts.

I've posted before that our D needs to keep Hill in a pressure cooker for four quarters.

MetEdDawg
09-30-2014, 11:41 AM
I would run J Rob a lot but the overall goal of our offense should be to shorten the game. I'm ok with us doing some hurry up if we've got a personnel grouping that is having success on a drive, but I think we need to run clock as much as possible. Wait a little longer to snap the ball, take a few more seconds when you can on your pre snap read. That kind of stuff takes discipline from all involved and I think we have that.

We also need to stay multiple on defense. Can't be predictable. We have to mix up blitzes, mix up position groupings (I'm a fan of having Wells and Jackson on the field at the same time), and be as physical as possible. Finesse teams can struggle with physicality. I like jamming guys at the line in these type of offenses that will slant and out route you to death before they hammer you over the top.

HoopsDawg
09-30-2014, 11:42 AM
I would run J Rob a lot but the overall goal of our offense should be to extend the game. I'm ok with us doing some hurry up if we've got a personnel grouping that is having success on a drive, but I think we need to run clock as much as possible. Wait a little longer to snap the ball, take a few more seconds when you can on your pre snap read. That kind of stuff takes discipline from all involved and I think we have that.

I think you mean shorten the game bub.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Bring the house and hit Hill. Even if we give up some big plays, still be aggressive and hit Hill. A&M's offense thrives on RHYTHM. If we play aggressive, we may give up some big plays, but we will also make some big plays and keep their offense from getting in RHYTHM. If A&M's offense doesn't get into a RHYTHM, then we will win the game.

On offense, I would use the same gameplan we had against LSU. A&M will load the box early in an effort to stop the run. We need to use short, high percentage passes to loosen it. Once we show success with this, the running game will begin to open up. Once it opens up, pound it and make their ass quit.

chainedup_Dawg
09-30-2014, 11:49 AM
I'll add to that.

3) be physical with their WR. Knock them off their routes at the line and stay in their face.

BulldogDX55
09-30-2014, 11:58 AM

Or lengthen drives. Either way.

I'll add to that.

3) be physical with their WR. Knock them off their routes at the line and stay in their face.

Their WR's are massive like ours. Our CBs are pretty small (comparitively speaking), so this could be a difficult prospect.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2014, 12:02 PM
I'll add to that.

This! We need to do anything possible to keep their offense out of RHYTHM. We should not be scared of giving up a big play. This game isn't about how many big plays A&M gets, it's more about how many stops MSU gets.

MetEdDawg
09-30-2014, 12:15 PM

Good catch. I explained shortening the game but called it extending. But I definitely mean shorten it. Got to run clock and keep TAMU off the field.

Goat Holder
09-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Superior DL play and sure tackling, combined with at least mediocre offense ie keeping them off the field, neutralizes the spread attacks.

chainedup_Dawg
09-30-2014, 12:40 PM

Their WR's are massive like ours. Our CBs are pretty small (comparitively speaking), so this could be a difficult prospect.

this is true. However, you don't have to be as big as them if you are meaner. With a rhythm & timing based offense you can really screw them up by getting into them on the line. We did this pretty well against Moncrief and Treadwell last year and they never got comfortable. I hope we see more of the same.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Problem is, I don't think A&M has any interest in having long drives, and their receivers are so good at getting YAK yards, that you really can't just let them have short routes. They will gain to much rhythm doing that and have too many opportunities to tackles.

I'm OK giving up some big plays here, so long as we counter with some big plays of our own, and force some 3 and outs on them.

If we do that, we will score in the 40s, and I think that will be enough to win.

aeroag14
09-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Interesting analysis. I am not sure that running over and over and pressure are the best ways to beat this A&M team. IMHO, as a diehard AG, there are other things that I am much more worried about than this type of game plan. While MSU will likely show us the best DL we have played this season, we will have far and away the best OL you have seen this season. You will likely get some pressure on Kenny but, Jake Spavital has had good game plans thus far this season. Judging by the MSU's tendency to play about 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, you can bet that Spav will be calling quick release passes and screens to eliminate pressure.

I would be much more worried if MSU rolled out the same game plan that arkansas did. Man up the corners. Bring the safeties up and take away the short to intermediate passing game: our bread and butter. This forced Kenny to beat Arkansas deep, which up until last week he had not shown the ability to consistently do. Our play calling was a little funky as when arkansas did this they would sometimes drop a DL or two off to cover the short passing game. The should have ran the ball to the outside with Trey Williams but I would hope that if MSU rolls out a similar game plan we would start to do this.

I would LOVE if the MSU gameplan was to run the ball 25 or 30 times. As is evident by the arkansas game this past weekend, A&M's defensive strength is depth in the front 7 (ex: holding arkansas to something like 3.5ish yards per run in the second half). There is 6 pretty talented guys that will see playing time at DT and probably 4 that will play at DE. Especially given that MSU will be down a few O Linemen I doubt highly that a ground and pound game is the way that Mullen will want to go.

Just my honest thoughts from the A&M perspective.

TrapGame
09-30-2014, 12:59 PM
I would LOVE if the MSU gameplan was to run the ball 25 or 30 times. As is evident by the arkansas game this past weekend, A&M's defensive strength is depth in the front 7 (ex: holding arkansas to something like 3.5ish yards per run in the second half). There is 6 pretty talented guys that will see playing time at DT and probably 4 that will play at DE. Especially given that MSU will be down a few O Linemen I doubt highly that a ground and pound game is the way that Mullen will want to go.

I think you'll get your wish but it's not going to turn out they way you thought it would. This is the best balanced and most talented offense you guys have seen thus far. We aren't Arkansas our QB can run and pass. If Allen was a dual threat QB Arkansas would have won that game.

MarketingBully01
09-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Interesting analysis. I am not sure that running over and over and pressure are the best ways to beat this A&M team. IMHO, as a diehard AG, there are other things that I am much more worried about than this type of game plan. While MSU will likely show us the best DL we have played this season, we will have far and away the best OL you have seen this season. You will likely get some pressure on Kenny but, Jake Spavital has had good game plans thus far this season. Judging by the MSU's tendency to play about 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, you can bet that Spav will be calling quick release passes and screens to eliminate pressure.

I would be much more worried if MSU rolled out the same game plan that arkansas did. Man up the corners. Bring the safeties up and take away the short to intermediate passing game: our bread and butter. This forced Kenny to beat Arkansas deep, which up until last week he had not shown the ability to consistently do. Our play calling was a little funky as when arkansas did this they would sometimes drop a DL or two off to cover the short passing game. The should have ran the ball to the outside with Trey Williams but I would hope that if MSU rolls out a similar game plan we would start to do this.

Just my honest thoughts from the A&M perspective.

These are just fan'a perspectives. I don't think A&M has seen a DL like ours this year and IMO our secondary is much better then people give them credit for. Especially their ability to tackle in space. You also haven't seen a true dual threat QB like Dak Prescott. If we can shred LSU's DL and secondary we can certainly shred A&Ms.

Personally, I think we beat you guys by 10 but it will be a good game. The biggest keys to stopping an A&M offense are pressuring and confusing Kenny Hill and no missed tackles. If we can do that, we will stop your offense. That is how LSU has done it the past two years. It's what you do against a Sumlin offense. Problem is there are very few teams that can do that game plan consistantly. Our team can and will.

MarketingBully01
09-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Oh and LSUs OL just as good as A&Ms....