PDA

View Full Version : Our Secondary

Sacrifice
09-30-2014, 10:56 AM
It seems like every wright up I read on us says the same thing. Our secondary is the weak link. I get that, UAB threw it as far as they could and completed most of them, if not all of them and the last 3:50 of the LSU game we got burnt on some deep balls...But I have a feeling that our guys have been reading the same things and will show up Saturday with something to prove!!
So far Collins has done a great job taking away what the other team likes to do on offense. This will be the first time this season we've game planned for a passing team. I could be wrong, but I think we hold Hill to 300 yards passing 2TDs and 2 or more picks. What do y'all think?

Coach34
09-30-2014, 11:00 AM
People need to ask themselves this question:

Why didn't LSU have success throwing before the last half of the 4th Q when they were down 34-10???

War Machine Dawg
09-30-2014, 11:02 AM

Why didn't LSU have success throwing before the last half of the 4th Q when they were down 34-10???

A) Our DL was eating their OL alive. Pressure covers a multitude of sins in the secondary.
B) Jennings sucks.

RossDawg82
09-30-2014, 11:03 AM
They will all say because their QB sucked. They feel that If Harris was in the whole game we would have lost by 173 points. Our secondary will be ready to go and I don't see Hill having the kind of day he is used to having.

Sacrifice
09-30-2014, 11:06 AM

Exactly, Collins did a great job mixing coverages against LSU. Showing one thing playing another. A lot of the hits and sacks Jennings took was because of that.

TXDawg
09-30-2014, 11:08 AM
I am concerned about our secondary's performance so far. However, I have a feeling that they're going to surprise some people this week.

I think we'll have a better scheme in place and constant pressure from our front 7 (or 5 depending on the personnel package) will help the secondary a lot. As others have said, if we can move Hill off of his spot, he will likely have a rough day.

HoopsDawg
09-30-2014, 11:18 AM

B/C Miles was convinced he could run the ball against us. He was legitimately surprised that they couldn't. And Jennings sucks. We do have secondary issues. Our safties are not great playmakers. They aren't bad, but they aren't great either.

NCDawg
09-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I am concerned about the one DB we have that was consistently beaten against LSU. He has speed, but seems to get faked out of position easily and is susceptible of getting beat a lot. Bottom line is that we can't give Hill a lot of time to throw.

HoopsDawg
09-30-2014, 11:39 AM
I am concerned about the one DB we have that was consistently beaten against LSU. He has speed, but seems to get faked out of position easily and is susceptible of getting beat a lot. Bottom line is that we can't give Hill a lot of time to throw.

I would be sure that Love is matched up with Noil. And Calhoun and Redmond need to be matched up with Seals-Jones and Randolph.

Coach34
09-30-2014, 11:55 AM
We let up and stop pressuring. We backed off and started going prevent. We took our foot off the gas and let them make it closer. It's as simple as that

Ralph
09-30-2014, 12:00 PM
We let up and stop pressuring. We backed off and started going prevent. We took our foot off the gas and let them make it closer. It's as simple as that

This is mostly true, but Jamerson was out of position so many times prior to taking our foot off the gas. Not sure why but seems he's regressed this year.

maroonmania
09-30-2014, 01:14 PM
121 out of 125 in FBS rankings for passing yards allowed so its not good any way you slice it. There were some game situations that make the numbers look worse but I would agree that right now its our weak link and is the reason I don't feel all that confident going against a passing team this Saturday.

BulldogBear
09-30-2014, 01:27 PM

....and my favorite part...

It won't happen again. Get ready for a beatdown aggies!

Barking 13
09-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Ease on up in this web, said the spider to the fly.... Love's only problem is he is looking for the pick instead of blanketing his guy...

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2014, 02:53 PM
I just heard a guest on Finebaum say that A&M would win because our secondary was terrible, and, of course, they point to UAB game as evidence.

A few question here:

1. Is the media making too much out of 4 passes that happened in a game that was played a month ago?

2. As a competitor, when every analyst and media outlet is constantly spewing that you are the weakest link, and, you hear this for two weeks leading up to a game, don't you have to step up, play with a chip on your shoulder, and prove to people that you are better than this?

I have to believe that Deshea and Tony have been doing work with this secondary for the past two week and getting them to understand that the outcome of this game lies squarely on their shoulders. If you have a competitive pulse in your body, don't you have to rise to this challenge?

I just fully believe that our secondary will come to play. Makes no sense for them not to.

WinningIsRelentless
09-30-2014, 02:58 PM
A) Our DL was eating their OL alive. Pressure covers a multitude of sins in the secondary.
B) Jennings sucks.

That can be flipped also and say good tight coverage in the first two seconds of a play makes a dline look good also. We had good coverage most of the game.

maroonmania
09-30-2014, 02:59 PM
I just heard a guest on Finebaum say that A&M would win because our secondary was terrible, and, of course, they point to UAB game as evidence.

A few question here:

1. Is the media making too much out of 4 passes that happened in a game that was played a month ago?

2. As a competitor, when every analyst and media outlet is constantly spewing that you are the weakest link, and, you hear this for two weeks leading up to a game, don't you have to step up, play with a chip on your shoulder, and prove to people that you are better than this?

I have to believe that Deshea and Tony have been doing work with this secondary for the past two week and getting them to understand that the outcome of this game lies squarely on their shoulders. If you have a competitive pulse in your body, don't you have to rise to this challenge?

I just fully believe that our secondary will come to play. Makes no sense for them not to.

End of the LSU game didn't help with people's opinion of our secondary either. When you let people run free behind you in a prevent that is not a good thing.

Barking 13
09-30-2014, 03:00 PM
I heard that too... which is the reason I made that comment... A&M thinks they are going to come in and pass at will on our secondary... The UAB game was probably bait for them.. just like LSU was expecting something different too..
I've got a feeling Hill will not be expecting the law firm of Smith, Jones, and McKinney to be living in the backfield with him..

TrapGame
09-30-2014, 03:04 PM

Probably the same idiot that said we couldn't last with LSU.

People don't understand that Mullen was doing his best Dr. Frankenstein and messing with a whole lot of things most of that game. We also had no film of Briscoe either.

HoopsDawg
09-30-2014, 03:07 PM
One huge problem I have with our secondary is our safety rotation. We have to be the only team in the country that rotates 5 safeties (Market, Hughes, Cox, Coman, and Evans). That is just too damn many. Does Ole Miss take out Tony Conner and Cody Prewitt? No. Does LSU take out Jalen Mills? No. Does Bama take out Landon Collins? Again, the answer is no. Some of our guys are better against the run and some are better agains the pass. None have elite safety ability with the exception of Cox and he has been battling the hamstring and spent all of last season at corner.

We are not as bad as our 121st ranking, but we do have some issues there and if you don't admit it, you are just being a homer.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2014, 03:11 PM
One huge problem I have with our secondary is our safety rotation. We have to be the only team in the country that rotates 5 safeties (Market, Hughes, Cox, Coman, and Evans). That is just too damn many. Does Ole Miss take out Tony Conner and Cody Prewitt? No Does LSU take out Jalen Mills? No Does Bama take out Landon Collins? Again the answer is no. Some of those guys are better agains the run and some are better agains the pass. None have elite safety ability with the exception of Cox and he has been battling the hamstring and spent all of last season at corner.

Are we as bad as our ranking in pass defense? No But we do have some issues there and if you don't admit it, you are just being a homer.

I completely agree that the secondary has been the weakness of our team, and is concerning. My point, however, is that, with two weeks to prepare, knowing that your play is what the game will depend on, and hearing the media dog you for two weeks, doesn't a competitive person fight back?

With all my heart, I just want to believe that Deshea and Tony have made strides with this unit in the past two weeks, and that they will be out to prove something on Saturday

HoopsDawg
09-30-2014, 03:17 PM
I completely agree that the secondary has been the weakness of our team, and is concerning. My point, however, is that, with two weeks to prepare, knowing that your play is what the game will depend on, and hearing the media dog you for two weeks, doesn't a competitive person fight back?

With all my heart, I just want to believe that Deshea and Tony have made strides with this unit in the past two weeks, and that they will be out to prove something on Saturday

They will definitely fight back and play hard, but that doesn't mean they will play better. I think they have been playing hard every week. It's a little bit of a talent issue. I like our 4 corners. The coaches need to make sure they are matched up with the correct receivers, e.g. Love doesn't need to be one on one with Ricky Seals Jones. But I think we need to identify our 2 best safties and leave them in. I give the edge to Hughes and Cox. But I guarantee you will see the backups in there on the 3rd series.