PDA

View Full Version : TXAM vs Run & Pass

justwin
09-29-2014, 11:15 PM
The best qb, Thompson, to face TXAM went 20/40 for 366 4 tds and 1 int. He also had 2 tds dropped. USC scored 28 points.

The best rushing attack, Arkansas, rushed 47 times for 285 or ~6.1ypc & 3tds. Ark scored 28 points.

Based on this, I think our offense can score 42+ points. We scored 41 last year vs TXAM which was really our first glimpse of a comfortable Dak Prescott can do in our system. I also think Dak is going to be highly motivated to beat the team that injured him.

So, can our defense allow 42 or less?

steeldawg
09-30-2014, 08:30 AM
We have to follow the same formula that's worked all year. Aside from the USA game, we've scored first on every opening offensive possession. Get a quick strike and turn around on defense and make it clear our target all day is Kenny hill. If we can do those things, manage good field position, and make them earn scores, I really like our chances.

Field position will be the silent difference in our game. Short fields for them will result in disaster for us. We have to manage this as best we can.

Coach34
09-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Rice and UPig put up nearly 500 yards on their D. Just think about that for a few seconds. Rice and Arkansas

starkvegasdawg
09-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Question...Would anybody be ok with giving up a couple of long bombs early in the game if it meant we were teeing off on Hill? Say by 10 minutes to go in the first half Hill had two 70+ yard pass plays but we had absolutely gotten crushing hits on him half a dozen times. I think I might accept that deal because if we can do that early and often he is going to start hearing people coming that aren't there and get happy feet in the pocket and not be as good the rest of the game.

TrapGame
09-30-2014, 08:39 AM
A) We have to put Kenny Hill in a pressure cooker. We can't let him get comfortable.
B) Pound their defense with JRob and Dak in long clock consuming drives.
C) Do not let them start beyond the 25 on kick offs. Kick it in the end zone and make them fight for it.

CadaverDawg
09-30-2014, 08:42 AM
If we give up Zero TD's over 30 yards...we win going away. Give up multiple home runs and we lose.

Coach34
09-30-2014, 08:44 AM
We're gonna score 40+- it ain't gonna matter

chainedup_Dawg
09-30-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm glad y'all are so confident for this game. I am nervous as hell. Then again, I was for the LSU game as well.

msstate7
09-30-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm glad y'all are so confident for this game. I am nervous as hell. Then again, I was for the LSU game as well.

I'm always nervous before every game, but I do feel we're the better team and we'll win

starkvegasdawg
09-30-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm always nervous before every game, but I do feel we're the better team and we'll win

This is me. In this respect I am glad for the early kick. I don't have to be nervous all day. I remember Wyatt saying on more than one occasion that players preferred the early kick too because on late kick days they were spending all day in the motel room when they would rather be playing.

jumbo
09-30-2014, 09:02 AM
I have never been worried about our Offense vs their "defense". We're going to score points, they are going to score points. The key is can we limit the big plays and get/take advantage of turnovers.

EAVdog
09-30-2014, 09:03 AM
We win by 2 touch downs.

chainedup_Dawg
09-30-2014, 09:07 AM
I guess I should have worded that a little better. I too am nervous before every game, but it usually starts the day before or even the morning of. The last two weeks I have been losing sleep starting on Monday.

deltadawg99
09-30-2014, 11:06 AM
We have to win the turnover margin and Devon bell has to continue to do a good job punting. Special teams made a huge difference in this game last year.

aeroag14
09-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Howdy Dogs,

Do not worry I come in peace!!

Just as a note, many of these stats are kind of skewed.

1) Thompson did not have two TD's dropped. Armani Watts separated two wr's from the ball as they caught them. Not the same thing. Excellent plays by the safety

2) Arkansas did run well on us during the first half. However, if you take away the 50 some odd yard fake punt TD run, their rushing average goes down to something like 5.1ish for the game. WELLLLL below their season average. In the second half I think the stat is that we held them to something like 3.5ish yards a carry which is MILES better than any defense that they have faced this season including Auburn. In addition, Brandon Allen, while not as mobile as Dak, has quite a bit of speed!

3) The rice stats are somewhat skewed as well. In the rice game, we were missing our best 4 LB's, including our starting 3. We were also missing Ivan Robinson who is arguably our best interior lineman. Rice is not a bad team either. I know we both beat them last season, but they are likely to win their league (an inferior one at that). They have an excellent coach and their QB is in the mold of a Nick Marshall, a high end athlete with good field vision. A bit different than Dak in that he does not have much power/good size. They run a spread running attack based on the option and read option. This plays perfectly into playing a team that is missing all of its LB's as the LB's have to recognize the scheme and fill the gaps. Our second and third string guys were just not up to the task in week three of the season. THis is somewhat concerning for this week as yall will implement some of the same concepts; however, getting Shaan Washington, Ivan Robinson and (most importantly) Jordan Mastrogiovani back will be KEY!!

Most close to the team and program would admit that the strength of this team is DEPTH. Which is something that we lacked in the worst way last season. This is not a front seven that anyone is going to likely "tire down" as the game continues. The best evidence of this is last week where the A&M DL straight up won the line of scrimmage in the second half against the arkansas OL. A very very good OL who predicates themselves on wearing defenses down.

Finally, do not take anything on the texags "TEXAS A&M football board" seriously. It has the nickname "The Zoo" as it is 75% sarcasm. The real talk is going on in the pay board "Billy Lucci's Texags Premium" board. While I would say that on the pay board many Ags still think we have the edge, most think it will be a good game. I am right on the fence. Much of what is said on this board is pretty far off when it comes to the A&M team but we shall see come saturday!!

CadaverDawg
09-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like if y'all have all your players, don't play a poor game, and just show up...you can't be beaten by anybody. Guess I'll change my prediction to 72-0 A&M now that you covered everything.**

If you're as deep as you claim..missing linebackers vs Rice shouldn't have mattered right?

And if those plays and stats don't count...be sure to let your friends know that damn near every yard we've given up through the air this year was our second string D or when we were in prevent. Our secondary being "bad", just isn't true. So those stats don't count either if y'all's don't.

aeroag14
09-30-2014, 01:06 PM
We are thinner at LB than any position on the field. But regardless of who you are, if you are -4 linebackers (including your 4 best). Your depth and talent are going to be shot to hell. Take it with the grain of salt if you wish, but the defense that played rice is not the same defense that held Arkansas to under four yards a carry last weekend or the same defense that was rested after the first 5 series against SMU where we allowed 5 total yards.

TrapGame
09-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Howdy Dogs,

Do not worry I come in peace!!

Just as a note, many of these stats are kind of skewed.

1) Thompson did not have two TD's dropped. Armani Watts separated two wr's from the ball as they caught them. Not the same thing. Excellent plays by the safety

2) Arkansas did run well on us during the first half. However, if you take away the 50 some odd yard fake punt TD run, their rushing average goes down to something like 5.1ish for the game. WELLLLL below their season average. In the second half I think the stat is that we held them to something like 3.5ish yards a carry which is MILES better than any defense that they have faced this season including Auburn. In addition, Brandon Allen, while not as mobile as Dak, has quite a bit of speed!

3) The rice stats are somewhat skewed as well. In the rice game, we were missing our best 4 LB's, including our starting 3. We were also missing Ivan Robinson who is arguably our best interior lineman. Rice is not a bad team either. I know we both beat them last season, but they are likely to win their league (an inferior one at that). They have an excellent coach and their QB is in the mold of a Nick Marshall, a high end athlete with good field vision. A bit different than Dak in that he does not have much power/good size. They run a spread running attack based on the option and read option. This plays perfectly into playing a team that is missing all of its LB's as the LB's have to recognize the scheme and fill the gaps. Our second and third string guys were just not up to the task in week three of the season. THis is somewhat concerning for this week as yall will implement some of the same concepts; however, getting Shaan Washington, Ivan Robinson and (most importantly) Jordan Mastrogiovani back will be KEY!!

Most close to the team and program would admit that the strength of this team is DEPTH. Which is something that we lacked in the worst way last season. This is not a front seven that anyone is going to likely "tire down" as the game continues. The best evidence of this is last week where the A&M DL straight up won the line of scrimmage in the second half against the arkansas OL. A very very good OL who predicates themselves on wearing defenses down.

Finally, do not take anything on the texags "TEXAS A&M football board" seriously. It has the nickname "The Zoo" as it is 75% sarcasm. The real talk is going on in the pay board "Billy Lucci's Texags Premium" board. While I would say that on the pay board many Ags still think we have the edge, most think it will be a good game. I am right on the fence. Much of what is said on this board is pretty far off when it comes to the A&M team but we shall see come saturday!!

Ok.....y'all gave up 500 yards to Rice, Arkansas and South Carolina.