PDA

View Full Version : Interesting story on Mullen and Starkville

dawg21
09-29-2014, 12:46 PM
A friend of mine who moved into Starkville last year is a rabid Auburn fan. He graduated from AU and spent time there working for the university. He walked up to me yesterday and said- "Mullen has the best job in the nation". I said- "What?"

He went on to explain that when he was at Auburn, he went to church with Tubberville, would see him around town, etc and people were ALWAYS stalking him and harassing him. He said he saw Mullen and his family at a soccer game and people were acting...get this....NORMAL. He said he couldn't believe it. It was like people were letting them enjoy things and talking normal conversation.

Just thought I'd share that. Btw- I see coaches and administrators from time to time around town and I always make a point to NOT bring up their job, unless they bring it up first. Their body language usually says "Hi- please don't ask me a stupid question about our XXXXX today".

FlabLoser
09-29-2014, 12:50 PM
The MSU job is a great blend of good pay, moderate expectations, and a nice quiet town to live in.

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2014, 01:03 PM
I can totally see that as a selling point for a coach with a young family. I happen to work for a state agency in a senior management capacity that requires a great deal of public contact and interaction. Because of what we do, there is always a great deal of PR/media coverage, some of which has been controversial (at least locally). If I am in a social setting with people I don't know, right after the "what do you do" question and answer comes the "You work for xxxx, let me tell you what y'all should be doing...". It gets old. Fast. At times, my wife has wanted me to go to some neighborhood function or some party and I have just been cornered by some know it all who has an ax to grind. I couldn't image what it is like being a high profile coach in a big university setting and constantly having a bunch of meassage-board superheros espousing the sux-i-tude of your defensive scheme, or why the 2nd string QB is the savior of the program - all the freaking - time when all you want to do is watch your 7 year old play soccer.

sandwolf
09-29-2014, 01:10 PM
It seems like I remember Megan Mullen commenting on this before.

TheRef
09-29-2014, 01:13 PM
It seems like I remember Megan Mullen commenting on this before.

Oh yeah. In an interview she has stated that it's so much better here because instead of getting threats for losing a game, it's just "We'll get 'em next time," or "Let's just focus on this next game."

messageboardsuperhero
09-29-2014, 01:49 PM
I can totally see that as a selling point for a coach with a young family. I happen to work for a state agency in a senior management capacity that requires a great deal of public contact and interaction. Because of what we do, there is always a great deal of PR/media coverage, some of which has been controversial (at least locally). If I am in a social setting with people I don't know, right after the "what do you do" question and answer comes the "You work for xxxx, let me tell you what y'all should be doing...". It gets old. Fast. At times, my wife has wanted me to go to some neighborhood function or some party and I have just been cornered by some know it all who has an ax to grind. I couldn't image what it is like being a high profile coach in a big university setting and constantly having a bunch of meassage-board superheros espousing the sux-i-tude of your defensive scheme, or why the 2nd string QB is the savior of the program - all the freaking - time when all you want to do is watch your 7 year old play soccer.

Hey now... Watch yourself.***

HoopsDawg
09-29-2014, 02:02 PM
The UF job nearly killed Urban and Mullen saw that. Mullen also remembers going 11-1 and people being disappointed. He has a good thing at MSU and he knows it. There are very few jobs he would leave MSU for.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Starkville is a special place because the majority of the fan base lives 2+ hours away in Jackson, Memphis, and Birmingham. Therefore, Starkville becomes a small town refuge where the locals are used to seeing coaches around town, and thus don't bother them.

drunkernhelldawg
09-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Starkville is a special place because the majority of the fan base lives 2+ hours away in Jackson, Memphis, and Birmingham. Therefore, Starkville becomes a small town refuge where the locals are used to seeing coaches around town, and thus don't bother them.

Starkville is used to seeing celebrities, even Johnny Cash . . .

Coach34
09-29-2014, 04:32 PM
The UF job nearly killed Urban and Mullen saw that. Mullen also remembers going 11-1 and people being disappointed. He has a good thing at MSU and he knows it. There are very few jobs he would leave MSU for.

dead on

Dawgcentral
09-29-2014, 06:15 PM
If I recall correctly, Meg made the comment that it was a relief to be able to make a grocery run on Sundays without having to endure hard looks and questions after a loss.

Lots of folks criticize Starkville for the small town atmosphere. Starkville has everything a family oriented person wants. Not to mention the year round sporting events. I'm considering retirement there if I can make it happen.

preachermatt83
09-29-2014, 06:48 PM

yup.