PDA

View Full Version : Setting the record straight about last year's A&M game

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2014, 09:28 AM
I just wanted to post this in hopes that it will help people better understand Saturday's match-up and because there seems to be mass confusion about how and why we actually lost that game.

What MSU did:

1. MSU had more first downs than A&M; 30-29
2.MSU had 299 rushing yards to A&M's 91
3. MSU averaged 7 yards per rush and A&M averaged 2.8 yards per rush
4.MSU outgained A&M 556 yards to 537 yards
5. MSU had 3 ints
6. MSU missed a field goal
7. MSU averaged 27 yards per punt & A&M averaged 48 yards per punt
8. MSU stopped A&M 8 times
9. MSU had 3 sacks against the most mobile, elusive QB in college football history. Hill doesn't move like this.

What A&M did:

1. A&M had 6 kickoff returns for 186 yards. In comparison, MSU had 5 kickoff returns for 86 yards
2. A&M blocked a punt for a safety
3. A&M was only 6/13 on 3rd down conversions
4. A&M had two TD drives that were less than 30 yards (We gave them a short field)
5. A&M had a 2 play 90 yard drive (This is when Justin Cox went outside of the scheme and blew his coverage)

Basically, MSU's special teams sucked in this game. Our defense gave up some big plays, but it seems as though we had a good plan. If MSU's special teams would have played a clean game last year, MSU likely would have won.

Hopefully, this recap will give people confidence in what Geoff Collins will have ready for A&M on Saturday with basically this entire defense back, except for Nickoe, and one could argue that last year's A&M game was Nickoe's worst game of the year.

I think our defense surprises people on Saturday. They played well last year against A&M but didn't get credit because our special teams put them in such awful positions.

My guess is that Geoff had a great plan for A&M last year that will only be refined this year with better and more experienced players.

rabbitthedawg
09-29-2014, 09:38 AM
I thought the same thing. Dawgs should have won that game last year, even though Dak was injured.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2014, 09:41 AM
I thought the same thing. Dawgs should have won that game last year, even though Dak was injured.

Dak got injured at the end of the game, but this was also the week after Dak's mother passed away and we wasted 3 or so first half drives with Tyler Russell at QB when Dak was obviously the better match-up against A&M

missouridawg
09-29-2014, 09:45 AM
Dak got injured at the end of the game, but this was also the week after Dak's mother passed away and we wasted 3 or so first half drives with Tyler Russell at QB when Dak was obviously the better match-up against A&M

We passed too much. I was there. RTGDF.

State82
09-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Pretty good points here.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Pretty good points here.

I'm telling you. The more I look at this, I think our defense & Collins are lying in the weeds here. Don't be surprised if our defense plays well.

RC3
09-29-2014, 09:52 AM
I was at the game. We never really threatened to win but we held our own regardless. Should be able to win this time around

RougeDawg
09-29-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm telling you. The more I look at this, I think our defense & Collins are lying in the weeds here. Don't be surprised if our defense plays well.

I'm with you, especially after watching the Hogs carve them up and out physical them. I expect an Egg Bowl type approach with, bump and run man and multiple blitz looks. Make Hill get rid of ball early and tackle in the flats. I think we will be fine this week. Just need our defense to stay home and on assignment and we should win this one.

EAVdog
09-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Going to be a good game, would not be surprised if we won handily. Wouldn't be shocked if we lost on a last second play either.

drunkernhelldawg
09-29-2014, 10:20 AM
I just wanted to post this in hopes that it will help people better understand Saturday's match-up and because there seems to be mass confusion about how and why we actually lost that game.

What MSU did:

5. MSU had 3 ints
9. MSU had 3 sacks against the most mobile, elusive QB in college football history. Hill doesn't move like this.

What A&M did:

1. A&M had 6 kickoff returns for 186 yards. In comparison, MSU had 5 kickoff returns for 86 yards
4. A&M had two TD drives that were less than 30 yards (We gave them a short field)
5. A&M had a 2 play 90 yard drive (This is when Justin Cox went outside of the scheme and blew his coverage)

Basically, MSU's special teams sucked in this game. Our defense gave up some big plays, but it seems as though we had a good plan. If MSU's special teams would have played a clean game last year, MSU likely would have won.

Hopefully, this recap will give people confidence in what Geoff Collins will have ready for A&M on Saturday with basically this entire defense back, except for Nickoe, and one could argue that last year's A&M game was Nickoe's worst game of the year.

I think our defense surprises people on Saturday. They played well last year against A&M but didn't get credit because our special teams put them in such awful positions.

My guess is that Geoff had a great plan for A&M last year that will only be refined this year with better and more experienced players.

Great post. The kicking game is critical.

CadaverDawg
09-29-2014, 10:38 AM

What MSU did:

5. MSU had 3 ints

What A&M did:

Good post. We need to set the tone early and make them drive for scores.

Todd4State
09-29-2014, 10:44 AM
That Texas A&M game was exhibit A of how important special teams are for us. I felt like that side of the ball was one of the main things holding us back from a signature win. And lo and behold we play solid ST against LSU and look what happened.

Also, I think home field advantage will help us out in this game a lot too. And I do agree about Manziel even though he didn't have his best game ever against us, he made enough plays to have an impact.

yjnkdawg
09-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Last year, Johnny Football, was surrounded by our defense on several occassions (looked like a tackle for a loss) and he did what only Johnny Football could do and made a disaster turn into a big play. Hill has not proven that he can pull off these Johnny Football like plays, yet. I hope we put the heat on him and hit him even if it's not a sack. Johnny Football did have 3 interceptions, but 5 touchdown passes, and some big plays on his scrambling improvising ability.

HoopsDawg
09-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Good post. We need to set the tone early and make them drive for scores.

I think we need to bring at least 5 on every play. I'm not sure our secondary can hold up long enough if we don't bring pressure.