PDA

View Full Version : What will our team's mentality be this week?

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Folks, this is a huge game this week, and I'm so excited that I can't go to bed, and thus am awake at mid-night thinking up questions about how this game will go.

My biggest question/concern for this week's game is what our team's mentality will be...

Against LSU, having not won there in forever, our team walked into that stadium with a chip on their shoulder and an "us against the world" attitude. However, after a week of getting praised by the national media, being patted on the back by people around campus, now being favored by one point in the game, and playing in front of packed house at home, I am curious if our team will still have the underdog, us against the world attitude, or if they will think they've made it now and that Texas A&M, who by the way is ranked higher than us, will just roll over and let us win.

We will learn a lot about our team this week. The leadership of this team must step up and demand from everyone that we must play with a chip on our shoulder and with the "us against the world" attitude.

I am optimistic because Dak Prescott and his leadership will be playing for us on Saturday, but there is little room error in this department. We must bring our "A" game and have that physical, us against the world attitude, or we will get beat.

If we show up with the similar mentality that we had at LSU, we will win this football game, but, with an 11:00 morning kickoff, everyone thinking we are awesome, and talking about making the playoffs, I'm a little concerned.

The attention to detail must be at an all-time high this week for our football team.

Resident football experts, Coach, 57, and others, as a coach, how would you handle the team this week to make sure they had the right mentality on Saturday?

What say you?

mstatefan91
09-29-2014, 12:34 AM
I say that we will still have that mentality of us against the world. This team will be out to prove that we are not a fluke. We are not the 2012 team. We are not a team who just got lucky beating LSU. I think there is a new mentality within our program. We will find out this Saturday for sure

CadaverDawg
09-29-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm with you about the excitement, Shotgun. I cannot stress how important the bye week was with this game. I think last week our guys were still riding high a little bit after the win....but hopefully they have gotten into game mode now. I hope our veterans keep us grounded, and our coaches have a great game plan. I 100% hate this match up for us, and the way we've been unable to stop them the last few years gives me nightmares....but I have faith that this team is a new team on a new mission. We'll see.

Reason2succeed
09-29-2014, 03:13 AM
I think the bye week came a great time for just this reason. Had we played last week the mental and emotion aspect may have played in a lot more. The DDay suspension along with the extra time off has given them time off to refocus and regain the desire to go back out and do it again. We have a great chance to do something very special again this weekend. I don't think that it will take a whole lot to get that across to our team. The trap games are Kentucky, Vandy, and Arkansas.

stalkingpoon
09-29-2014, 03:16 AM
If I'm coach Mullen I catch Manziel and cut his nuts off in front of the team Jackie Sherrill style. That should pump them up.

EdDawg
09-29-2014, 06:23 AM
We need a pre-game speech thread during game week.

Coach 57
09-29-2014, 06:34 AM
@EdDawg I've got that covered this week.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2014, 07:22 AM
I'm with you about the excitement, Shotgun. I cannot stress how important the bye week was with this game. I think last week our guys were still riding high a little bit after the win....but hopefully they have gotten into game mode now. I hope our veterans keep us grounded, and our coaches have a great game plan. I 100% hate this match up for us, and the way we've been unable to stop them the last few years gives me nightmares....but I have faith that this team is a new team on a new mission. We'll see.

I feel better about things because of how our defense played last year in College Station. The final score wasn't indicative of how our defense played. We had 8 stops in that game, but gave A&M some short fields and special teams TDs. Therefore, I think Collins will have a great plan.

thunderclap
09-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Like Clubber Lang.

basedog
09-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Nothing needs to be said, with the leadership and chemistry this team has shown they will be ready to play, Lsu is in the rear view mirror!