PDA

View Full Version : So who is michigan gonna hire?

RC3
09-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Harbaugh talk hold any water?
Les miles??
Who else will make the short list?

IMissJack
09-28-2014, 08:29 PM
I've been nervous about them talking to DM, since Urban is at OSU now, and he kicked their butts in Jacksonville. Don't know if they will or if he would consider.

Todd4State
09-28-2014, 08:30 PM
I doubt they will pull Harbaugh away from the 49ers. Miles will definitely be in the mix, but I'm not sure how interested he will be. Plus, I think LSU will finish strong so I don't think they will run him off or anything.

Todd4State
09-28-2014, 08:30 PM
I've been nervous about them talking to DM, since Urban is at OSU now, and he kicked their butts in Jacksonville. Don't know if they will or if he would consider.

I'm not sure how Dan and Urban would feel about being arch rivals.

IMissJack
09-28-2014, 08:33 PM
I know us and FL are not arch rivals, but it didn't seem to bother Dan when we played FL a few years ago.

gravedigger
09-28-2014, 08:35 PM
Les would be a strange hire.

I know. Ed orgeron

CJDAWG85
Harbaugh

I've heard Jim and the big wigs don't see eye to eye and he's lost the locker room. Not too sure how credible it is, but I think Harbaugh bolts if offered.

Smitty
I'm not sure how Dan and Urban would feel about being arch rivals.

Bo Schembechler played for and coached under Woody Hayes.

RC3
09-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Y'all don't fool yourselves. If michigan wanted dan, he would go. And he should. It's one of the top 5 jobs in the country.

Todd4State
09-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Bo Schembechler played for and coached under Woody Hayes.

Yes, but how would Dan feel about it? Some coaches would be OK, and some wouldn't.

msstate7
09-28-2014, 08:43 PM
If I'm Michigan, I go after D. Mason. Joke

Really though I'd call in this order:

1. Harbough -- no explanation needed

2. Brett bielema -- he's won big in big 10 already

3. David shaw -- his style would be a great fit for the style Michigan should run

4. Bronco mendenhall -- love this guy. Run first, physical style would be good fit
82. Les miles -- overrated

preachermatt83
09-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Y'all don't fool yourselves. If michigan wanted dan, he would go. And he should. It's one of the top 5 jobs in the country.

it USED to be... It's not anymore.. there is zero job security. Megan aint leaving Starkville guys, im telling you.. There is only 3-4 schools in the entire country I think he would leave us for... Notre Dame, LSU, or Alabama. Maybe Oklahoma. Two of those are in the SEC so they are VERY UNLIKELY.

preachermatt83
09-28-2014, 08:45 PM
If I'm Michigan, I go after D. Mason. Joke

Really though I'd call in this order:

1. Harbough -- no explanation needed

2. Brett bielema -- he's won big in big 10 already

3. David shaw -- his style would be a great fit for the style Michigan should run

4. Bronco mendenhall -- love this guy. Run first, physical style would be good fit
82. Les miles -- overrated

I didn't think about that one but that would make a ton of sense.

preachermatt83
09-28-2014, 08:46 PM
I have heard that Jim Tressel would be in the mix. if Im not mistaken his "show cause" is over.

Coach34
09-28-2014, 08:46 PM

It's not anymore. The SEC is the premier place to be.

BulldogBear
09-28-2014, 08:48 PM

That makes Michigan at least the 15th best job!!! ;)

msstate7
09-28-2014, 08:48 PM
I have heard that Jim Tressel would be in the mix. if Im not mistaken his "show cause" is over.

This would be a great hire.

RC3
09-28-2014, 08:49 PM

While I agree, this is one of the three or four outside the SEC that is still prestigious

msstate7
09-28-2014, 08:51 PM

Someone should tell urban meyer

msstatelp1
09-28-2014, 08:52 PM

I don't know if he would leave. He's already in the toughest division in the country and is building a really good program. He's got total control of the program, a chance to become the State equivalent of Bryant/Bowden/Paterno, and everyone is talking about what an incredible job he's done. If he were to go to Michigan and revitalize them, he just becomes another good coach in a long history of good coaches.

IMissJack
09-28-2014, 08:53 PM
What about Mark Stoops at KY? Seems to be doing a good job in a basketball school and the Stoops are from OH, Big 10 country.

RC3
09-28-2014, 08:53 PM
I hear ya. But it's michigan.

RC3
09-28-2014, 08:54 PM
What about Mark Stoops at KY? Seems to be doing a good job in a basketball school and the Stoops are from OH, Big 10 country.

Haven't thought of that. He may still be a little too unproven at the moment though

aerodawg
09-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Harbaugh talk hold any water?
Les miles??
Who else will make the short list?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Chip Kelly's name being bounced around.

msstate7
09-28-2014, 08:57 PM

Stoops will be lucky to get a bowl this year. That isn't the resume Michigan will be looking for

I seen it dawg
09-28-2014, 09:05 PM
I hear ya. But it's michigan.

And it's not the premier job it used to be. It doesn't have the cache with the kids like it used to. It's not a top level conference and the best players aren't flocking there anymore. They will not get to have whoever they want. They better try to hire a somewhat younger hungry guy because that's what they need. If they think they are just going to sit by the phone and have all these great coaches call them they are going to be sorely disappointed.

Coach34
09-28-2014, 09:08 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again-

Mullen isnt like everybody else. Mullen does really want to prove he invented football. He wants a statue of himself somewhere before he is done. He actually likes and embraces being "the guy" at State. He might leave in January- but everything he has said and done leads many to believe he wants to coach at State 15 years. He wants to be known as the best coach in Miss State history. He wants to be the guy that won an SEC title at somewhere that wasnt supposed to win one.

msstate7
09-28-2014, 09:12 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again-

Mullen isnt like everybody else. Mullen does really want to prove he invented football. He wants a statue of himself somewhere before he is done. He actually likes and embraces being "the guy" at State. He might leave in January- but everything he has said and done leads many to believe he wants to coach at State 15 years. He wants to be known as the best coach in Miss State history. He wants to be the guy that won an SEC title at somewhere that wasnt supposed to win one.

Here's to this being the year. If it is, I'll build the statue myself with quikrete haha

Todd4State
09-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Someone should tell urban meyer

He left Florida on his own accord- probably.

If he really left because of stress, being in the Big 10 probably is a better fit for him from a stress standpoint. Plus, where else in the SEC was Urban going to go? Arkansas? Ole Miss? Vanderbilt?

Todd4State
09-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Here's to this being the year. If it is, I'll build the statue myself with quikrete haha

If LT were still our AD, he would have given you a phone call in the morning.

RC3
09-28-2014, 09:15 PM
I do believe that's who Mullen is as well. To me, and maybe I'm wrong, the michigan job would be too enticing for almost every coach in the country to turn down. It's been a long time since they were good but the pieces are still there and Mullen would coach circles around most of the coaches in that conference, resulting in being in the hunt for the playoff nearly every year

Saltydog
09-28-2014, 09:15 PM
nt

msstate7
09-28-2014, 09:16 PM
He left Florida on his own accord- probably.

If he really left because of stress, being in the Big 10 probably is a better fit for him from a stress standpoint. Plus, where else in the SEC was Urban going to go? Arkansas? Ole Miss? Vanderbilt?

He could go back to florida this year. Will he?

RC3
09-28-2014, 09:17 PM
He's gonna win a bunch of games at state this year. His name is going to come up for the various job openings. Sure would be hard to leave when you know you have a heisman candidate returning next season

msstate7
09-28-2014, 09:19 PM
He's gonna win a bunch of games at state this year. His name is going to come up for the various job openings. Sure would be hard to leave when you know you have a heisman candidate returning next season

Which heisman candidate? Dak or jrob?*

RC3
09-28-2014, 09:19 PM
You're right. Two heisman candidates returning. Lol

DudyDawg
09-28-2014, 09:21 PM
I like Mendenhall like someone said. All he's done is take one of the most limited schools for talent and constantly win.

Wonder what they think about ole Lane Kiffen. Only half kidding..

Bully Dee Williams
09-28-2014, 09:22 PM
I wish that our own fans would not talk about how Mullen would leave for another job in the middle of the great start to this season. Let's not give the opposition any help in perpetuating the propaganda they have already begun to spread about Dan bolting for job X after the season. Can't we have something nice without wrecking it?

Todd4State
09-28-2014, 09:22 PM
He could go back to florida this year. Will he?

I doubt it. Plus, I don't know the Florida "inside" info that the connected Florida people know. There may be nothing there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to Urban leaving than meets the eye. That might have been part of his stress.

I do think he was under immense pressure to win a NC and have an undefeated season for Tebow's senior year and then Bama ruined it along with Tebow's Heisman chances for that year.

Todd4State
09-28-2014, 09:24 PM
I wish that our own fans would not talk about how Mullen would leave for another job in the middle of the great start to this season. Let's not give the opposition any help in perpetuating the propaganda they have already begun to spread about Dan bolting for job X after the season.

I agree. Plus, like Coach said- Dan is not likely going anywhere.

TUSK
09-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Which heisman candidate? Dak or jrob?*

sweet baby jesus.

smootness
09-28-2014, 09:31 PM

No it isn't. And I doubt he would seriously entertain it.

Goat Holder
09-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Only answer is Harbaugh.

Goat Holder
09-28-2014, 11:30 PM
it USED to be... It's not anymore.. there is zero job security. Megan aint leaving Starkville guys, im telling you.. There is only 3-4 schools in the entire country I think he would leave us for... Notre Dame, LSU, or Alabama. Maybe Oklahoma. Two of those are in the SEC so they are VERY UNLIKELY.

You have preached yourself retarded. All Michigan needs is the right guy and they are a nationally elite program again.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2014, 12:09 AM
You have preached yourself retarded. All Michigan needs is the right guy and they are a nationally elite program again.

It's not that easy at Michigan, and I don't think Mullen would go there.

Here is why,

1. Michigan's Athletic Director is under heavy fire, and Scott Striklin has been great to Dan. Dan has been supported and given most everything he's asked for. Great working environment. Michigan will probably have to hire a new AD.

2. Much like Texas, Michigan has booster problems. They want control everything and meddle with the team.

3. Eroding local rust belt recruiting ground.

4. Michigan fans yearn for the day of Loyd Carr and Bo Schembechler. They tried the spread option with Rich Rod and hated it. I seriously doubt they hire another coach that runs a similar offense. Look for them to go after Harbaugh, Bielema, or Miles. They want to play power football.

5. Having an SEC West job is the like coaching the "big leagues". With the new SEC money and other things, we can pay whatever Michigan would likely be willing to pay.

6. We have better players that Michigan and currently have a top 15 recruiting class, which, like every year, also includes underrated stars. Mullen has also recruited very well at QB. Prescott, Fitzgerald, and Staley. The program is in good shape and recruiting is actually beginning to pick. Now is not the time to leave. You would be taking over a rebuild project at Michigan while watching someone else win with the players and program that you built. That's dumb.

7. Michigan is a good job, but it's not worth the risk of leaving a program where Mullen is on the cusp of becoming a legend and having a statue.

I'm not worried about Michigan in the least.

Political Hack
09-29-2014, 03:40 AM
Hugh Freeze?

Political Hack
09-29-2014, 03:41 AM
CDM has already walked away from interviews at Michigan. Don't see why he'd change his mind now.

RC3
09-29-2014, 06:27 AM
CDM has already walked away from interviews at Michigan. Don't see why he'd change his mind now.

Huh

Political Hack
09-29-2014, 07:01 AM
Huh

year of the Gator Bowl.

Also at Minnesota, Miami, Penn State, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

RC3
09-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Are you saying that Mullen interviewed with Michigan? Or that he supposedly turned down a request for an interview?
Where are you getting that from?

Political Hack
09-29-2014, 07:29 AM
I don't know if he's ever interviewed with anyone, but there was reportedly interest from Michigan, which was not reciprocated. Was never public that I'm aware of... another non-public one was Tennessee pursuing him after his first or second year at State, but Slive shut it down before they ever made contact (based on what I was told).

RC3
09-29-2014, 08:19 AM
I have years that regarding TN. I have also heard that Mullen may have been interested. But I've never heard that he was being seriously considered for the Michigan job

Coach34
09-29-2014, 08:25 AM
No SEC coach is going to leave the SEC willingly right now with the way college football is moving. It would be stupid.

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2014, 08:26 AM
I wish that our own fans would not talk about how Mullen would leave for another job in the middle of the great start to this season. Let's not give the opposition any help in perpetuating the propaganda they have already begun to spread about Dan bolting for job X after the season. Can't we have something nice without wrecking it?
I agree. It boggles my mind except in one situation, in which case it makes
Perfect sense. We have seen it before.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Why are we talking about this on the Monday before the biggest game in Starkville in the last 13 years?

Let's talk football.

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2014, 08:29 AM
sweet baby jesus.

We didn't start either of those by the way.

SignalToNoise
09-29-2014, 09:25 AM
To add more speculation to the Harbaugh front, Deion Sanders is reporting rumbling from the 49ers locker room saying the players don't want to play for Harbaugh anymore.

http://pocket.co/sCiuY

Interesting.

dawgs
09-29-2014, 09:57 AM
I doubt they will pull Harbaugh away from the 49ers. Miles will definitely be in the mix, but I'm not sure how interested he will be. Plus, I think LSU will finish strong so I don't think they will run him off or anything.

They probably won't have to pull harbough from the 49ers. There's been rumors for 2 years now that he might be let go, nor for on field performance but because of friction with the front office and the players. He may just be a Saban-type whose intensity works best when he's running his own ship, the players are young and moldable and less likely to push back, and there's a bigger turnover every year.

Ralph
09-29-2014, 11:19 AM
No SEC coach is going to leave the SEC willingly right now with the way college football is moving. It would be stupid.

This.

Plus I don't think MI is interested, and why would Dan be interested after being given consideration a few years ago when he has another year of Dak.

The best job in the country right now is FLA. Win your easy ass division, pull an upset in SEC champ game, and you're in the final 4. Thats the easiest route to the final 4 right now. Would Dan go to FLA? Would Slive allow this anyway? I don't think Dan leaves with another year of Dak, and like c34 said, it would be dumb to change right now when the landscape of college football is going to change dramatically over next 2-3 years.

msstate7
09-29-2014, 11:21 AM

Sincerely,

James Franklin

Tbaen
09-29-2014, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;257916]It's not that easy at Michigan, and I don't think Mullen would go there.

Here is why,

4. Michigan fans yearn for the day of Loyd Carr and Bo Schembechler. They tried the spread option with Rich Rod and hated it. I seriously doubt they hire another coach that runs a similar offense. Look for them to go after Harbaugh, Bielema, or Miles. They want to play power football.

This. End of discussion.

The only place, right now, that makes sense is Florida and if Dan has a big enough year to get that gig, I'll pave his way down Hwy 45 with roses.

Make that, sugar packets.

Pollodawg
09-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Miles aint done at LSU. The Bayou Bungles will beat AU this weekend. Mark it.

Political Hack
09-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Miles aint done at LSU. The Bayou Bungles will beat AU this weekend. Mark it.

I actually worry about that. I guess it's fine either way, but Id prefer to put that first loss on LSU, A&M, Auburn, and Bama.

Coach34
09-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Sincerely,

James Franklin

Vandy doesn't count

msstate7
09-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Vandy doesn't count

Still say if brett bielema gets chance, he'll go to Michigan in a heart beat