PDA

View Full Version : MSU #12 in AP Poll

CadaverDawg
09-28-2014, 01:06 PM
According to twitters

Ole miss falls to #11

Quaoarsking
09-28-2014, 01:07 PM
We must have passed Georgia then. Good for the voters.

ShotgunDawg
09-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Ole Miss is no longer a top 10 team. Hahahaha

Serious question, why in the hell is FSU still #1? They have played like straight ass this year? Can you imagine where Bama would be ranked or us if we gave up 40+ points to NC State?

CadaverDawg
09-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Georgia 13, LSU 15

Quaoarsking
09-28-2014, 01:09 PM
We actually passed Georgia pretty significantly: http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

CadaverDawg
09-28-2014, 01:09 PM
@CollegeGameDay: AP Poll Top 10:
1. Florida State
2. Oregon
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Auburn
6. Texas A&M
7. Baylor
8. UCLA
9. Notre Dame
10. Michigan State

Quaoarsking
09-28-2014, 01:17 PM
http://www.appollstalker.com/football/team/msu/2014

Everyone ranked us in the top 16, except Garry Smits, who is stubbornly arguing that we only won by 5 and polls don't matter, and Kyle Ringo, who never replied to my email or Tweets. As far as I saw, unless I missed one, those two and Jay Binkley (LSU 10/MSU 13) are the only ones who put LSU ahead of us.

DudyDawg
09-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Full list

AP poll: FSU Ore Bama OU Aub A&M Bay UCLA ND MichSt OleMiss MissSt Ga Stan LSU USC Wis BYU Neb OhSt OkSt ECU KSU Mo TCU

Smitty
09-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Coordinated accountability has paid off

NorCalDawg
09-28-2014, 01:41 PM

Everyone ranked us in the top 16, except Garry Smits, who is stubbornly arguing that we only won by 5 and polls don't matter, and Kyle Ringo, who never replied to my email or Tweets. As far as I saw, unless I missed one, those two and Jay Binkley (LSU 10/MSU 13) are the only ones who put LSU ahead of us.

If polls don't matter, why the hell does he even vote? What am I missing here?

GreenheadDawg
09-28-2014, 01:43 PM
We have a chance to beat 2 top 10 teams 2 weeks in a row. That's exciting

IMissJack
09-28-2014, 01:59 PM
It's clear that the problem with the playoff of top 4 is the preseason AP ranking. Teams that start in top 4 or 5 are there because the writers think they have the type of schedule to stay there. It is very difficult for anyone to pass those 4-5 teams that start the season on top. FSU, OK, OR are likely not going to lose.

Mjoelner34
09-28-2014, 02:06 PM

Ringo:
He voted K-State #12 + he lives in Colorado = http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/files/2012/02/pot_driving_accident.jpg

codeDawg
09-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Where would an A&M win put us? Has to be top 10.

ShotgunDawg
09-28-2014, 02:53 PM
It's clear that the problem with the playoff of top 4 is the preseason AP ranking. Teams that start in top 4 or 5 are there because the writers think they have the type of schedule to stay there. It is very difficult for anyone to pass those 4-5 teams that start the season on top. FSU, OK, OR are likely not going to lose.

Agree, this is a clear problem. If the playoff committee is going to go on the "direction of the wind", then preseason polls have an enormous impact on who makes the playoffs. Throw in the fact that the preseason polls rank team on the basis of who is most likely to go undefeated, rather than who is the best team, then it becomes obvious that the preseason polls are a tremendous problem in the process.

However, in the end, there usually isn't much debate, and I suspect it will work itself out. FSU, OK, and OR aren't likely to lose, but somehow one of them usually does every year. The good news is that the SEC Champion is guaranteed a spot in the championship, and, just like most years, the one loss SEC team that wasn't in the SEC Championship, is standing in the on-deck circle waiting for one of those three teams to lose.

CadaverDawg
09-28-2014, 02:59 PM

Gary Smits is a douche. He's still got LSU ranked 16 and us ranked 22. I called him out on twitter and he said "just because you beat someone by 5 doesn't mean you should be ranked higher". Um, In This case it does, dipshit...we are undefeated and beat them at their place, and their preseason ranking should have no merit on where they are right now. This guy's response makes me so furious, because it completely discredits the AP to have idiots involved.

cheewgumm
09-28-2014, 03:06 PM
By his retarded logic if us abs LSU win out,.. They are ranked ahead of us.

Dawg496
09-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Where would an A&M win put us? Has to be top 10.

Top 10 by default. We'd pass A&M, and one of Ole Miss/Alabama will lose and drop below us as well.

Coach34
09-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Gary Smits is a douche. He's still got LSU ranked 16 and us ranked 22. I called him out on twitter and he said "just because you beat someone by 5 doesn't mean you should be ranked higher". Um, In This case it does, dipshit...we are undefeated and beat them at their place, and their preseason ranking should have no merit on where they are right now. This guy's response makes me so furious, because it completely discredits the AP to have idiots involved.

ask him why should LSU be ranked higher? I'd like to hear that reason

Quaoarsking
09-28-2014, 04:47 PM

He told me that an unranked team that beats a top 10 team by 5 shouldn't be ranked higher than that former top 10 team the next week. That it "happens all the time" and that it "doesn't matter anyway."

Of course he's wrong that it happens all the time, and 57 of the 60 AP voters disagree with him, but whatever.

CadaverDawg
09-28-2014, 05:04 PM

Oh I've been asking him for a week. He keeps saying "it doesn't matter, you're ranked higher than them in the poll", and he said the beauty I mentioned earlier...."just because you beat a team ranked higher than you doesn't mean you should be ranked higher than them". So I've been asking him to explain how he could vote them higher, but he won't answer. Keeps dodging the question and saying "are you harassing other voters that voted you lower than LSU?". I told him it wasn't about MSU/LSU, it was about his lack of credibility and the fact that there is absolutely ZERO logic behind ranking a 3-1 team above a 4-0 team that beat them at their place, regardless of who those teams are.

He is a damn joke, and it makes the AP look like a joke overall. He keeps saying "it doesn't matter", so I said "Then give up your vote to someone that knows it DOES matter, and will do it right." I told him "laziness is the only way you could vote LSU higher".

He won't respond or explain himself.