PDA

View Full Version : Where do we end up in the polls

MetEdDawg
09-28-2014, 06:46 AM
A little background from what the polls looked like coming into this weekend. We had 706 votes in the AP poll. We were 58 votes behind SC for 13th, 83 behind UGA for 12th, 100 behind UCLA for 11th, and 183 votes behind OM for the 10th spot in the polls. Here's what happened this week that may affect our positioning:

- SC lost to Mizzou. That's going to get us some more votes and should bump us up a spot.
- ASU got blasted by UCLA. ASU had more voters ranking them in the top 15 than we did. That should help us out quite a bit.
- OM, UGA, TAMU, Stanford, all are teams in front of us or very close to us that won but looked extremely unimpressive. Might sway a few voters to drop their ranking of these teams and get us closer.
- We mobilize and got some voters off their lazy butts and they will vote us higher than what they did last week.

That combination of things leads me to believe that we will be ranked #12 this week (we jump UGA) in the AP with an outside chance at #11. Thoughts??

Political Hack
09-28-2014, 06:58 AM
I think it's certainly plausible. I don't like seeing teams that win drop in the polls, but (for example) it's hard to argue FSU is #1 right now. When you have preseason polls, you have to adjust based on performance, win or lose.

I'd expect OM and UGA to lose votes after this weekend for voters that watched the game, but I think we all know they just look at the box scores so I doubt it will be a major impact. We should be #13 at minimum, but we could make the jump to 12 if enough people watched the UGA and OM games.

blacklistedbully
09-28-2014, 07:22 AM
Wouldn't shock me to see us leap-frogged by Stanford in the AP. Heck, USC could with the AP. Getting screwed by pollsters is an MSU tradition.

TXDawg
09-28-2014, 07:32 AM
Keep in mind that a handful of voters LEFT US OFF THEIR BALLOTS last week. Just getting their votes this week will give us a boost. I think we move up 1 or 2 spots.

But...who really cares? Keep winning and the rest will take care of itself.

Quaoarsking
09-28-2014, 07:57 AM
I think we will be very close, within single digits of Georgia for the 12/13 ranks, and I don't know who will get which rank.

I highly doubt we'll be caught from behind by anyone as long as we're undefeated.

I seen it dawg
09-28-2014, 09:03 AM
2 weeks from today we will be pushing the top 5. Pummel these next 2 by handling what we do and it's there.

CadaverDawg
09-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I know we have a huge task in front of us before we win our next 2, but if we did manage to pull that off and aren't ranked in the top 2-3 in the country, at worst, we are getting screwed. 6-0 with wins over LSU, A&M, and Auburn, should give you a #1 ranking. I know it probably won't happen, but still

ShotgunDawg
09-28-2014, 09:34 AM
I know we have a huge task in front of us before we win our next 2, but if we did manage to pull that off and aren't ranked in the top 2-3 in the country, at worst, we are getting screwed. 6-0 with wins over LSU, A&M, and Auburn, should give you a #1 ranking. I know it probably won't happen, but still

One game at a time, but, I agree, we will easily have the best resume in the country. Not close

Quaoarsking
09-28-2014, 09:36 AM

We will get several #1 votes if that happens. I'm sure Doug Lesmerises, my favorite voter, would rank us #1. He makes a big deal about only looking at a team's resume for that season, not preseason hype and not long-term prestige.

ShotgunDawg
09-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Any chance we jump Ole Miss? Most of the SEC media was off that bandwagon last night. I have no doubt that the SEC media will rank us above Ole Miss, but I doubt that the Northern and California media will.

thunderclap
09-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Just win Saturday. And then it'll get really interesting.

codeDawg
09-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Any chance we jump Ole Miss? Most of the SEC media was off that bandwagon last night. I have no doubt that the SEC media will rank us above Ole Miss, but I doubt that the Northern and California media will.

A handful of voters will adjust, but a majority of them will only see the score and assume they took care of business against a team that game UCLA a scare. I wouldn't be surprised to see UM #11 MSU #12.

DudyDawg
09-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Would image UCLA jumps into the top ten and OM falls a spot or two

HoopsDawg
09-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Would image UCLA jumps into the top ten and OM falls a spot or two

UCLA beat Memphis by only 7 points.

TUSK
09-28-2014, 11:10 AM
I think it's certainly plausible. I don't like seeing teams that win drop in the polls, but (for example) it's hard to argue FSU is #1 right now. When you have preseason polls, you have to adjust based on performance, win or lose.

I'd expect OM and UGA to lose votes after this weekend for voters that watched the game, but I think we all know they just look at the box scores so I doubt it will be a major impact. We should be #13 at minimum, but we could make the jump to 12 if enough people watched the UGA and OM games.

I'm with you on FSU, Hack... Bama pilfered some #1's from them (and Oregon) a week ago... I expect that to happen again this week...

I've not been overly impressed with FSU, Oregon or Okie this year...

DudyDawg
09-28-2014, 11:15 AM
They just hung 70 on number 15. People forget games like Memphis after that (just like UAB after LSU)

Quaoarsking
09-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Half of the voters have probably forgotten that fact.