PDA

View Full Version : Josh Robinson vs Todd Gurley

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Sitting here watching TN vs UGA and trying to compare Todd Gurley to Josh Robinson

Gurley is certainly more explosive and physical in the open field, however, he also is taller and runs more straight up, thus making it easier for defenders to go low on him to stuff a play.

Robinson isn't as explosive or exciting, but I'll be darn if he doesn't run lower and has a better chance of picking 4 yards when needed. Robinson also has shorter choppier steps and possibly better vision. Robinson seems harder to tackle in the mosh pit between the tackles.

I think they are both NFL backs, but, from a production standpoint, I don't think their that far apart.

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2014, 01:54 PM
It's definitely closer than most of the experts would tell you. I think Robinson's stockier build is a big part of what makes him so good. 5'9", 205 of muscle and there's no good place to grab him for a tackle. I agree Gurley might be a bit more explosive in the open field, but I don't know about more physical. Both will have solid NFL careers, I think.

Political Hack
09-27-2014, 02:01 PM
51 yard TD Gurley as soon as I opened the thread.

Without looking at them, I bet JRob has a better career average that Gurley.

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Considering J-Beast had a 6 YPC average coming into the season and has been 6 or better every game so far this season, I'd say probably so, Hack. They're both damn good backs, though.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2014, 02:11 PM
I love JRob & they're both good backs. However the diff is Gurley is gonna run in the 4.4's at the combine at 6'1" 225lbs. Gurley is just freakish in the measureables similar to McKinney at LB. Also Gurley is averaging 6ypc in his career his 1st 2 years. He's avg almost 10ypc this year.

hailmari
09-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Disagree. JRob's tackle breaking excites the crap out of me.

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2014, 02:13 PM
I love JRob & they're both good backs. However the diff is Gurley is gonna run in the 4.4's at the combine at 6'1" 225lbs. Gurley is just freakish in the measureables similar to McKinney at LB. Also Gurley is averaging 6ypc in his career also.

You might be surprised at what J-Beast's 40 time is. Here's a hint: Close to Gurley.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm sure it's good but when Gurley hits the open field he doesn't get caught from behind. Again I love JRob but Gurley is just a diff animal.

Political Hack
09-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Gurley is faster than JRob for sure, but JRob has better vision between the tackles IMO.

gravedigger
09-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Shotgun, let me help you here. Comparing two running backs in the sec is akin to comparing fuel pumps in two different models. It's all well and good but the engine (offensive line) and the maintenance ( coaching) are what make them successful.

Hurley is better than jrob. But maybe that means our ol is pretty good too

Intramural All-American
09-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Gurley is faster than JRob for sure, but JRob has better vision between the tackles IMO.

Gurley would have housed the run that JRob had at LSU. JRob just doesn't have the breakaway speed that Gurley has. However, I think you would be hard pressed to find any RB in the nation that is harder to tackle than JRob. I would love to see his yards after contact. JRob is shifty and his center of gravity is so low, but because of his leg length he just doesn't have the breakaway speed. I love that we have him.

TUSK
09-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Gurley would have housed the run that JRob had at LSU. JRob just doesn't have the breakaway speed that Gurley has. However, I think you would be hard pressed to find any RB in the nation that is harder to tackle than JRob. I would love to see his yards after contact. JRob is shifty and his center of gravity is so low, but because of his leg length he just doesn't have the breakaway speed. I love that we have him.

Good post. Well said.

smootness
09-27-2014, 02:46 PM
You might be surprised at what J-Beast's 40 time is. Here's a hint: Close to Gurley.

Exactly. I don't know why people don't think Robinson is extremely fast. His acceleration is absurd. His 40 time will surprise our own fans.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Funny you mentioned yards after contact. JRob posted on IG earlier today that Gurley was 1st in the nation with 5.4yac & JRob was 2nd with 4.2yac.

Intramural All-American
09-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Funny you mentioned yards after contact. JRob posted on IG earlier today that Gurley was 1st in the nation with 5.4yac & JRob was 2nd with 4.2yac.

Needless to say, they are both very good. I would have to give Gurley the edge, however. I think we would rock Georgia, though. Mason just doesn't look very good.

Bothrops
09-27-2014, 03:35 PM
JRob is no doubt stronger but Gurley has a little more top end.

99jc
09-27-2014, 06:16 PM
JRob is no doubt stronger but Gurley has a little more top end.

Nm

CadaverDawg
09-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Damn Hurley sounds like he's even better than Gurley.*

99jc
09-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Damn Hurley sounds like he's even better than Gurley.*

Nm