PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Private School guys today?

CadaverDawg
09-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Personally I don't care either way, but every time Prep plays someone close it's a private school circle jerk on here, but when they get that ass kicked by Bassfield....crickets.

I believe most public school defenders were saying private schools didn't have the depth to play public schools week in and week out and sustain success, YET. And so far, that seems to be playing out correctly.

Again, I'm a public school grad that thinks private schools will one day be the strongest in the State, and I have no problem with that. But I do find it funny that those beating their chest about private school dominance seem to be deathly quiet after a small school like Bassfield lays a 41-14 beating on the top private school in the State

msstate7
09-27-2014, 09:41 AM
It was bassfield's super bowl. They just care more*

CadaverDawg
09-27-2014, 09:43 AM

Haha yep.

DudyDawg
09-27-2014, 10:10 AM
I went to JA and now I'm happy hearing that. I personally couldn't care less how other private schools do in highschool football. Doesn't effect my day at all. Just like to see JA succeed.

That score line does surprise me though

Coach34
09-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Personally I don't care either way, but every time Prep plays someone close

Prep usually wins vs public schools. Good to see a public school come thru for a change

Brad Stevens
09-27-2014, 10:53 AM
I did not go to Prep, but you do realize they beat Bassfield last year, right? I don't have any statistics in front of me, but most of the private vs public schools matchups have been pretty even the past few years.

Belegal
09-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Just needed 30 more seconds to pull it out!

CadaverDawg
09-27-2014, 10:57 AM
I did not go to Prep, but you do realize they beat Bassfield last year, right? I don't have any statistics in front of me, but most of the private vs public schools matchups have been pretty even the past few years.

Did you read my post?

Not arguing that private school isn't improving. Really not arguing anything at all...just mentioning how loud the private school guys are when they play someone close, and how silent they are when they get crushed. And the only point I made was that private schools don't have the depth YET to sustain a full year of competing with Public schools. They can get up for a big game each year, but week in/week out they aren't there yet, despite everybody saying they were in an earlier thread this year.

Again, my kids will go to private schools, and I like private school football and enjoy watching it rise and eventually be a huge player in the State....I was simply making a joke about how people come out of the woodwork when a private school comes close or beats a public school...but when blown out, nothing.

Just thought it was funny

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2014, 10:58 AM
How big is Prep? Bassfield is 2A.

DudyDawg
09-27-2014, 11:00 AM
3A in MAIS

It_Could_Happen
09-27-2014, 11:16 AM
I was a public school guy in arkansas and was shocked at the amount of private schools in MS. In arky you don't go to private school unless you live in little rock.

hailmari
09-27-2014, 11:31 AM
I was a public school guy in arkansas and was shocked at the amount of private schools in MS. In arky you don't go to private school unless you live in little rock.

Same. There is only one private school within an hour radius of my home county in north MS. I never knew public vs. private was even a thing until I got to State.

It_Could_Happen
09-27-2014, 12:11 PM
On another note I did see that dan was at the bassfield game. Any idea where our other coaches were?

CadaverDawg
09-27-2014, 12:13 PM
On another note I did see that dan was at the bassfield game. Any idea where our other coaches were?

Supposedly Hev was at MagHeights/MRA, somebody was at Clinton/Madison, and then Mullen at Bassfield. Not sure about others

K9 Avenger
09-27-2014, 12:27 PM
How big is Prep? Bassfield is 2A.

Prep enrollment is 820 for 6-12 grade....Bassfield 360 for 7-12......thorough ass kicking of The MAIS kingpin by a school half its size.

JDog13
09-27-2014, 12:42 PM
I went to a private school. I don't see many private schools other than JA or Prep keeping up with public schools. The more kids you have, the higher the talent pool. I was shocked when Prep started beating public schools. I don't ever see the private schools being the top football schools in the state, Cadaver. The "programs" at private schools may have better facilities and such. They are more likely to have big time donations since they are privately funded. I do not see them being able to overcome the traditional state powers in the public schools.

Coach34
09-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Disagree. Prep would be a 4A school I think in public ball and average 10 wins per season. As far as the others- nearly all of them would be 1A or 2A and compete very well in those classes

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Supposedly Hev was at MagHeights/MRA, somebody was at Clinton/Madison, and then Mullen at Bassfield. Not sure about others

Hughes was at Clinton/Madison. Straight from my old college buddy who was at the game.

K9 Avenger
09-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Disagree. Prep would be a 4A school I think in public ball and average 10 wins per season. As far as the others- nearly all of them would be 1A or 2A and compete very well in those classes
More like 7-8 wins and be a perennial playoff team

CadaverDawg
09-27-2014, 02:25 PM

Garbage

DudyDawg
09-27-2014, 02:26 PM

JA would probably be there too and MRA 3A. The rest 1-2

Coach34
09-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Garbage

Garbage???

Prep beat Little Farvuh the year they won the 4A state title- or did you forget that? This would be Prep's division:

Florence
Magee
Mendenhall
Port Gibson
Raymond
Richland

They would own that damn division

And you dont think the other smaller private schools could compete with:

East Oktibbeha
Ethel
French Camp
Nanih Waiya
Noxapater
Pelahatchie
Sebastopol
West Lowndes
West Oktibbeha

You are extremely out of touch if you dont think so

CadaverDawg
09-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Garbage???

Prep beat Little Farvuh the year they won the 4A state title- or did you forget that? This would be Prep's division:

Florence
Magee
Mendenhall
Port Gibson
Raymond
Richland

East Oktibbeha
Ethel
French Camp
Nanih Waiya
Noxapater
Pelahatchie
Sebastopol
West Lowndes
West Oktibbeha

I misread your post. I thought you said all of MAIS could compete with 4A public, which would not be true. A few of the better teams could though.

Sundawg1974
09-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Can the public schools recruit and provide aid like the privates do? Prep and MRA for sure.

DudyDawg
09-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Can the public schools recruit and provide aid like the privates do? Prep and MRA for sure.

Some do, to a much smaller degree.

As far as aid, you can't provide financial aid for free school

Bo Darville
09-27-2014, 04:06 PM

Public schools recruit bigtime. Ask MC coach Bobby Hall. Also, public school already provide aid. All football players get free tuition, including my 8th grade middle schooler. That's quite a benefit. That doesn't happen at Prep or MRA.

Coach34
09-27-2014, 04:15 PM

Hell, the public schools even provide a free lunch everyday to alot of their players

Bo Darville
09-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Hell, the public schools even provide a free lunch everyday to alot of their players

They also will pick up the players at their house and give them a ride to school. All for free .

cheewgumm
09-27-2014, 04:22 PM
The coaching in private school seems to definitely be better.

JDog13
09-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Garbage???

Florence
Magee
Mendenhall
Port Gibson
Raymond
Richland

East Oktibbeha
Ethel
French Camp
Nanih Waiya
Noxapater
Pelahatchie
Sebastopol
West Lowndes
West Oktibbeha

Yeah Prep could own that division. It's not exactly a murderer's row. I still stand by what I said. I went to a 3a private school back when JA and Prep were 4A, back in the old MPSA days. We beat JA my senior year and went to the state championship game. The school I went to is now a 2A since the school ratings were redrawn. I can not think of many public schools my school could have beaten. The recruiting that goes on now maybe the big change. Back when I was in school, the recruiting was a violation. It was kept on the down low cause it would have been bad had it gotten out. I may be wrong in my opinion, but I don't really feel I am. I lived it. We didn't have the talent the public schools had. I went to a school with 700 kids k-12. I will admit that several guys off my team got scholarships at state. 1 for football and 2 as cheer leaders. :cool: The one that went in football ended up transferring to Delta State. If you remember any of the guys I played against, only a handful had big college offers. Will Overstreet(Prep), Jason Cabel(Prep), and Matt Walker(Canton Academy).

Oh, my school basically owned 3A south in Academy ball. I know we had more talent than most of the schools we played.

TUSK
09-27-2014, 05:25 PM

I see what you did there.