PDA

View Full Version : TSUN caller to Finebaum thinks OM has the better defense

blacklistedbully
09-26-2014, 06:35 PM
In upcoming game with Bama. Crazy delusional fanbase.

bluelightstar
09-26-2014, 06:39 PM
They do lead the league (or might be 2nd, I can't remember) in scoring D at this point [I know, I know THEY AIN'T PLAYED NOBODY PAWWWWWWL]. The problem is their strength is the secondary, and they aren't good at stopping the run. We stop the run extremely well and are somewhat susceptible to deep passes. I'd rather be able to stop the run -- because teams can run pretty consistently, but I would never want my gameplan to be based on needing to hit 50-yard pass after 50-yard pass against a defense.

Dawgcentral
09-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Well, we'll find out in 8 days. Can they cover Cooper? Not if they can't stop the Bama running game.

I'm looking forward to the massive let down.

blacklistedbully
09-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Hey bluelightstar, I just edited, as I meant to say he thinks they have better defense than Bama. Of course, TSUN has played nobody, so I don't think their defense scares anybody.

GreenheadDawg
09-26-2014, 07:05 PM
I've been trying to find SEC rushing defense rankings but can't seem to locate them. I can find individual stats but not team rushing defense. Anybody have the current rankings?

bluelightstar
09-26-2014, 07:09 PM
I've been trying to find SEC rushing defense rankings but can't seem to locate them. I can find individual stats but not team rushing defense. Anybody have the current rankings?

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24/p1

blacklistedbully
09-26-2014, 07:10 PM
If you compare TSUN's defensive stats versus the defensive stats of the other D1 teams their opponents played, you'll find it's nothing to write home about. In fact, those opponents lost just about as badly to some pretty bad teams.

starkvegasdawg
09-26-2014, 07:13 PM
I see someone already beat me with a link. We are 18th in rush defense. Tsun is 43rd.

blacklistedbully
09-26-2014, 07:23 PM
I see someone already beat me with a link. We are 18th in rush defense. Tsun is 43rd.

And we have played teams that have actually run the ball on other D1 teams. They haven't.

GreenheadDawg
09-26-2014, 07:27 PM

The link bluestar posted has us at 10th in the nation and OM 63rd

Coach34
09-26-2014, 07:33 PM
This is my "go to"

http://www.cfbstats.com/

TUSK
09-26-2014, 08:19 PM
This is my "go to"

http://www.cfbstats.com/

BUMP for coach's link....

it's the one to use!

additionally, I'll add this: of Mississippi's defense, I would want the following to play for My Dark Lord:

DT 5 Robert Nkemdiche (6-4, 280, SO-1L) - would definitely be in the DL rotation.
DE 10 C.J. Johnson (6-2, 225, JR-3L) - I don't think he'd start or be even a #2 (DL), but he'd add depth and help on ST.
Nickel (Huskie) 12 Tony Conner (6-0, 217, SO-1L) - ST and add some depth.
Rover 7 Trae Elston (6-0, 195, JR-2L) - ST and add some depth.
FCB 21 Senquez Golson (5-9, 176, SR-3L) - if he's found his socks & jock since Trent ran by him, I'd take him for depth at a #3 & ST.
FS 25 Cody Prewitt (6-2, 217, SR-3L) - Not sure if he'd start over Nick Perry, but he'd be a hell of a nickel/dime back.

regarding the Seniors & RS Juniors on this list, there's a reason they are still in college & not in the NFL.

Coach34
09-26-2014, 08:25 PM
I wish we had Conner and CJ...Prewitt aint bad

TUSK
09-26-2014, 08:29 PM
I wish we had Conner and CJ...Prewitt aint bad

#5 couldn't play for yall?

blacklistedbully
09-26-2014, 08:32 PM
I find it amusing that Boise State is #2, having played Ole Miss.

Dallas_Dawg
09-26-2014, 08:37 PM
#5 and his brother ain't worth the headache.

yjnkdawg
09-26-2014, 08:56 PM
In upcoming game with Bama. Crazy delusional fanbase.

Finebaum should have told him that you need to cut back on the Hotty Toddy, because you are delusional.

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2014, 01:47 AM
BUMP for coach's link....

it's the one to use!

additionally, I'll add this: of Mississippi's defense, I would want the following to play for My Dark Lord:

DT 5 Robert Nkemdiche (6-4, 280, SO-1L) - would definitely be in the DL rotation.
DE 10 C.J. Johnson (6-2, 225, JR-3L) - I don't think he'd start or be even a #2 (DL), but he'd add depth and help on ST.
Nickel (Huskie) 12 Tony Conner (6-0, 217, SO-1L) - ST and add some depth.
Rover 7 Trae Elston (6-0, 195, JR-2L) - ST and add some depth.
FCB 21 Senquez Golson (5-9, 176, SR-3L) - if he's found his socks & jock since Trent ran by him, I'd take him for depth at a #3 & ST.
FS 25 Cody Prewitt (6-2, 217, SR-3L) - Not sure if he'd start over Nick Perry, but he'd be a hell of a nickel/dime back.

regarding the Seniors & RS Juniors on this list, there's a reason they are still in college & not in the NFL.

You are crazy if you think Tony Conner is a ST guy, even at Bama. That kid is a STUD and would be starting. I just bumped into a guy tonight who said Saban came to Batesville twice to recruit Conner. I'd give my left nut to have him in our secondary.

Political Hack
09-27-2014, 07:03 AM
#48 in pass effeciency defense.

#6 in number of passes defended.

#10 in INTs.

msstate7
09-27-2014, 07:09 AM
You are crazy if you think Tony Conner is a ST guy, even at Bama. That kid is a STUD and would be starting. I just bumped into a guy tonight who said Saban came to Batesville twice to recruit Conner. I'd give my left nut to have him in our secondary.

Landon collins isn't chopped liver

Mutt the Hoople
09-27-2014, 07:35 AM
#5 couldn't play for yall?
#5 might get into the rotation, along with Nick James. The one player I wish we definitely had was Cody Prewitt...he's a serious player.

msstate7
09-27-2014, 07:36 AM
#5 might get into the rotation, along with Nick James. The one player I wish we definitely had was Cody Prewitt...he's a serious player.

I agree

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Conner is the one OM player I would want on defense.

msstate7
09-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Conner is the one OM player I would want on defense.

I think we both get caught up in our weakness is safety so we lean towards prewitt/Conner. If we had a choice though, tunsil is probably the correct choice. Add tunsil to our line and we probably avg over 40 pts a game for the year

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2014, 09:20 AM
I think we both get caught up in our weakness is safety so we lean towards prewitt/Conner. If we had a choice though, tunsil is probably the correct choice. Add tunsil to our line and we probably avg over 40 pts a game for the year

I thought we were just talking about defense. I think we would all take Tunsil has the conversation been about who we would want off their entire team. I think if we had CJ Johnson, Conner, and Tunsil, MSU would squarely be a national title contender.

msstate7
09-27-2014, 09:22 AM
I thought we were just talking about defense. I think we would all take Tunsil has the conversation been about who we would want off their entire team. I think if we had CJ Johnson, Conner, and Tunsil, MSU would squarely be a national title contender.

I'm sure you're right. My attention span is short

dawgs
09-27-2014, 11:00 AM
http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-rush-attempt

This is my go to for CFB team stats.

In team defense yards per carry, we rank 7th only giving up 2.4 ypc. Old miss ranks 77th giving up 4.4 ypc. And old miss hasn't played a team with LSU's OL and RB talent. By looking at ypc, you're also eliminating the number of running plays element for a truer sense of run defense.

dawgs
09-27-2014, 11:12 AM
More interesting numbers:

We rank 116th in opponent passing attempts per game at 42/game and 112th in opponent % of passing plays at 56.88%

We rank 12th in opponent completion % at 50%

We rank 15th in sacks per game at 3.5/game

We rank 36th in opponent passer rating

We rank 79th in yards/attempt and 119th in yards/completion

So it appears our total yardage numbers are driven not just by big plays, but the shear number of passes we've faced compared to the rest of the country. If we keep our opponent completion % at 50% and eliminate a couple of big plays per game, we'll be in great shape.

Intramural All-American
09-27-2014, 11:24 AM

That's crazy talk. People always try to downplay Nkemdiche just because there seems to be a rivalry between him and Jones, and we want to pimp Jones as the better of the two. But Nkemdiche is a dang good football player and I'd love to have him on our D-line. His brother? Heck no. I think Johnson would help, but he definitely wouldn't be a starter for us and would be 2nd or 3rd string. I'd definitely take Conner and Prewitt, as well. There's no one else on their D I'd take over ours.

blacklistedbully
09-27-2014, 12:26 PM
No way I take RN over CJ or Preston Smith. I know Nick James is just starting to really play, but I'm really pumped to see what that big man can accomplish now that he appears to have his head screwed on straight. I suspect he may have more upside. Our 4th DL may not have RN's tools, but we've got some damn good choices that come close, and don't have the baggage that comes with RN.

So, believe it or not, I wouldn't want RN, despite his ability, because I think his "value-add" would be more than offset by the headaches he would bring with his attitude. I like the way our guys really seem to like one another, and don't think RN is a good fit. I think RN is exactly where he belongs, in a place where image is everything.

Intramural All-American
09-27-2014, 12:45 PM
No way I take RN over CJ or Preston Smith. I know Nick James is just starting to really play, but I'm really pumped to see what that big man can accomplish now that he appears to have his head screwed on straight. I suspect he may have more upside. Our 4th DL may not have RN's tools, but we've got some damn good choices that come close, and don't have the baggage that comes with RN.

So, believe it or not, I wouldn't want RN, despite his ability, because I think his "value-add" would be more than offset by the headaches he would bring with his attitude. I like the way our guys really seem to like one another, and don't think RN is a good fit. I think RN is exactly where he belongs, in a place where image is everything.

We can agree to disagree. And I'm not arguing for him to start. I would still start CJ and Smith (even though CJ doesn't even start for us), but he would most definitely be our 3rd best DT at worst. Now if we are talking character, I can see where people are coming from, but from a strictly talent and football stand point we could definitely use his skills.

And call me naive, but I don't think Nkemdiche would be near as big of a problem child if he had come here rather than Oxford, especially if he was away from his brother.

Political Hack
09-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Smith, Jones, Kimchee, and CJ would be an epic DL.

TUSK
09-27-2014, 01:13 PM

I admit, I don't know as much about their guys as you... I take your word for it and start him over Cyrus Jones at CB.

defiantdog
09-27-2014, 04:07 PM
I admit, I don't know as much about their guys as you... I take your word for it and start him over Cyrus Jones at CB.

Cyrus Jones has been a 5 star flop for yall. Connor doesn't play CB though. And I think Bama's safeties are better than OM's.

TUSK
09-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Cyrus Jones has been a 5 star flop for yall. Connor doesn't play CB though. And I think Bama's safeties are better than OM's.

He's definitely the weakest link. I think tony brown make take his spot if Eddie Jackson can stay healthy.

Conner would not start over Collins however... And might not start over perry at S. He'd have to play CB or Nickle for bammer.