PDA

View Full Version : OT for Bye Week: NFL Coach or College Coach - Who has the better lifestyle?

Johnson85
09-26-2014, 12:54 PM
A comment in the thread about Michigan trying for a Harbaugh for their next coach and there being no way they would leave the NFL for college made me wonder.

I used to think coaches were idiots for wanting to go to the NFL. If you believe them, NFL coaches basically spend 80 to 90 hours a week either at practice, game planning, or in film review and all that really does is, if they do a good job, make sure they don't lose a job because of coaching. There is so much parity and the coaching is at a high enough level that basically only a few coaches seem to do a good job and maintain their edge over any period of time. I always thought college would be a much better deal. Take care of recruiting and you have at least 6 and probably more games a year where just basic game planning will get it done because you out talent them. And if you're a really good, you can ensure that you will win 75% of your games and have 8-10 years in one place.

But I assume NFL coaches actually get an off season, whereas college coaches can basically never stop recruiting and/or evaluating tape. Yes, a good coach can have more job security in college and maybe get by with 60-65 hours a week instead of 80-90, but is that really that much better when it's countered by your off season being filled largely with recruiting? If you're making $3 to $5M a year, I think I'd prefer the NFL. Even if you get axed after three years, who gives a 17. Once you've made your money, it may be a better deal to be a coordinator or even a position coach. 3 years as head coach and then another 7 as a coordinator or position coach may be a better deal than 10 years as a college coach.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Watch the SEC Storied on Spurrier - if I were a coach, that is who I would want to be when I grew up.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/steve-spurrier-arbys.png

Johnson85
09-26-2014, 01:42 PM
I thought about the story about him going to the beach on an off week before UT as I was writing the post. If you're an innovator on offense and ahead of the curve, I guess college football is definitely the place to be. I'm assuming that no other coach has been that good and cocky in the last decade and a half.

sandwolf
09-26-2014, 01:56 PM
I would definitely rather be a pro coach. The never ending job of recruiting sounds like a complete nightmare to me.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2014, 02:01 PM
I would definitely rather be a pro coach. The never ending job of recruiting sounds like a complete nightmare to me.
The flip side of that is most pro coaches have to deal with a GM - or worse yet an owner who thinks he knows how to run a team. In college, you are GM, and to a degree owner. For the most part your success or failure is dependent on you.

thf24
09-26-2014, 02:02 PM
I can't remember exactly what college-turned-pro coach it was, Pete Carroll maybe, but whoever it was said that all the perks of being a college coach were negated by not having to deal with recruiting and managing 100+ 17-22 year olds in the pros.