PDA

View Full Version : Hype videos, what'sthe point?

godlluB
09-26-2014, 12:41 PM
I know someone is going to go all Jameis Winston on me for even asking this, but I have a serious question.

MSU is now generating these weekly hype videos, they are quick cuts, with a mindset to pump up the fans watching them. My question is why? If these were being shown as part of the pre-game buildup in the stadium, I understand, but they aren't being used for that. Are they a recruiting tool? Advertisements with a thought towards selling more tickets?

I'm not knocking them, they are pretty cool. I'm not arguing that we shoudl quit making them, I'm just trying to figure out the motive for spending the time and money on them.

Dawg496
09-26-2014, 12:45 PM
It gets the fanbase hyped out, creates buzz, and yeah I'm sure it will convince at least a few to attend the next game if they hadn't originally planned on it.

I'm a 24 year old kid who loves these and I'm sure a 17 year old me would've loved them even more. It sure can't hurt recruiting.

DudyDawg
09-26-2014, 12:46 PM
It helps makes ticket sales and get fans to be return customers. It's not just about hype, it's also a commercial

godlluB
09-26-2014, 12:51 PM
It helps makes ticket sales and get fans to be return customers. It's not just about hype, it's also a commercial

But don't you think that fans who are watching these are probably already buying tickets?

I guess maybe it's a perception thing like the rest of the college sports arms race. Our competitors are doing it, so we must do it too in order to keep up.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2014, 12:54 PM
About half our recruiting class tweeted the video out yesterday. Yes, it pumps up the fans, is used for recruiting, and makes MSU seem like the professional, big time place that it is. I think your questions are justified, because I'm sure we were late to the party on videos because Striklin asked the same questions, however, I think it does help.

RougeDawg
09-26-2014, 12:57 PM
I love them. These hype videos are something that's been missing in recent years. I'm sure the players watch them as well. It's a validation to what they have accomplished. Recruits love them and you are starting threads about them. All positives for our program and our university. #OurHypeVideos

DudyDawg
09-26-2014, 01:07 PM
But don't you think that fans who are watching these are probably already buying tickets?

Not necessarily. The point of things like that, from a marketing standpoint, are three fold. Convince previous customers to be return customers. Convince those on the fence about being customers to become customers by sparking desire. And grab the attention of those who may not be interested and convince them it's something they would enjoy and is a good, exciting place to spend their money.

And obviously it's for recruiting and excitement for the game too.

TUSK
09-26-2014, 01:14 PM
I know someone is going to go all Jameis Winston on me for even asking this, but I have a serious question.

MSU is now generating these weekly hype videos, they are quick cuts, with a mindset to pump up the fans watching them. My question is why? If these were being shown as part of the pre-game buildup in the stadium, I understand, but they aren't being used for that. Are they a recruiting tool? Advertisements with a thought towards selling more tickets?

I'm not knocking them, they are pretty cool. I'm not arguing that we shoudl quit making them, I'm just trying to figure out the motive for spending the time and money on them.

here's one... "lock the gates, look for a fight, and see what they got"

http://vimeo.com/75583988

it took years to accumulate all these "highlights", I bet....

bluelightstar
09-26-2014, 02:09 PM
On another note, I do think they should also be played during pregame.

Percho
09-26-2014, 02:11 PM

To keep those cards and letters coming? Stuffed with money.