PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss's Chuckie Mullin helmets are a violation

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Not trying to be petty...Anyone know if they had to get special permission from the SEC or NCAA to place the '38' on each helmet? I knew they were doing a tribute, but I didn't know every player would have the '38' on their helmets like bama.813

Gen. Grant
09-26-2014, 09:12 AM
I thought the same thing. I figured every player having the same number might be an issue.

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Weird that they are celebrating nutts 38 signee class.

I seen it dawg
09-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Why all of a sudden are the celebrating? Is it his birthday or something? Not trying to be a dick I really don't know the reason.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Not sure you have to receive permission for helmets. AZ State wore splattered mustard on theirs last night

PassInterference
09-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Step right up, get your NCAA rules here: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR14.pdf

On page 26 under Section 4, Article 6d, you'll see:

ARTICLE 6. The following items are legal:

a. Towels and Hand Warmers. 1. Solid white towels no smaller than 4?
by 12? and no larger than 6? by 12? with no words, symbols, letters,
or numbers. Towels may bear the team logo. They may also contain a
single manufacturer?s or distributor?s normal label or trademark not to
exceed 2-1/4 square inches in area. Towels that are not solid white are not
permitted.
2. Hand warmers worn during inclement weather.

b. Gloves.
1. A glove is a fitted covering for a hand having separate sections for each
finger and thumb, without any additional material that connects any of
the fingers and/or thumb, and that completely covers each finger and
thumb. There is no restriction on the color of gloves.
2. Gloves must have a securely attached label or stamp (?NF/NCAA
Specifications?) indicating voluntary compliance with test specifications
on file with the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association, unless made
of unaltered plain cloth.

c. Eye shields. Eye shields must be clear, not tinted, and made from molded or
rigid material. Eyeglasses and goggles also must be clear and not tinted. No
medical exceptions are allowed.

d. Insignia. 1. Persons or events may be memorialized by an insignia with an
area not greater than 2.25 square inches on the uniform or helmet.

2. Institutional decals are allowed on helmets.

e. Eye Shade. Any shading under a player?s eyes must be solid black with no
words, numbers, logos or other symbols.

f. Game information. Any player may have written game information on the
wrist or arm.

You can plainly see that 38 is a rules violation because it is much bigger than 2.25 square inches.

http://d3f5994kvuwcz1.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Screen-Shot-2014-08-01-at-4.24.24-PM.png

There as been recent news that uniforms can't have slogans or anything other than player numbers, manufacturer logos, player names, school logos, etc. That's in Section 4 Article 5 which only pertains to jerseys. However the above Section 4 Article 6d clearly applies to helmets.

Article 8 says the penalty for this is a timeout every quarter. If a team has no timeouts, its a 5 yard penalty instead of a timeout.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Why all of a sudden are the celebrating? Is it his birthday or something? Not trying to be a dick I really don't know the reason.

It's the 25th anniversary since his accident...like I said, I wasn't trying to be petty either, I'm just curious if they had to get permission. It would be interesting to see the response if they had chosen to do this against bama.

TXDawg
09-26-2014, 09:42 AM
How does this fit into the "Can't have two players wearing the same number on the same side of the ball" rule that they violated in the Egg Bowl last year?

Just curious what happens if they try to say "This isn't a memorial thing; it's the player's number".

But at the end of the day, who really cares? Wearing #38 on their helmets this week won't help them against Bama next week.

Political Hack
09-26-2014, 09:42 AM
1) The NCAA is about as dumb as a sack of rocks. That's absurd that this is even a rule. I don't even know where to begin.

2) You, or whoever, found this probably did them a favor by letting them get it cleared prior to the game. I doubt they knew it could potentially be a violation.

3) If the NCAA doesn't clear it, the NCAA should be disbanded.

4) This will likely be the last time you ever see me take up for Ole Miss.

FlabLoser
09-26-2014, 09:44 AM
I hope the NCAA gets exposed on this. It is asinine.

msstate7
09-26-2014, 09:45 AM
It's the 25th anniversary since his accident...like I said, I wasn't trying to be petty either, I'm just curious if they had to get permission. It would be interesting to see the response if they had chosen to do this against bama.

Word is they plan to wear 63 with an X thru it for the bama game in protest of the dirtiest player (day) ever******

Covercorner2
09-26-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm as big a state fan as anyone, but there are certain circumstances when exceptions to rules are appropriate, and this is one of them IMO. Come on guys, let's have some class

FlabLoser
09-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Sorry, the NCAA is classless.

They are trying to be like the No Fun League with a death grip on the appearance of teams. Why they'd disallow a big 38 on Ole Miss helmets while Arizona State can run around wearing this is beyond me.

http://cdn.nikeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/New-Arizona-State-Helmets-Flames-2.jpg

PassInterference
09-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Do all SEC schools wear a sicker of their state on the back of the helmet? That might technically be illegal too. Although helmet rules are strange. They dictate what kind of memorial you can put on a helmet, but it appears everything else is fair game. No rules for logos, slogans, etc for helmets...I think.

HSVDawg
09-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Seriously? Who cares. I hate OM as much as the next guy, but they don't deserve any flack from us or the NCAA for honoring a fallen player. And it would be a supreme dick move from the NCAA to penalize them even if it is a violation. It's not like they will get any advantage from it as long as the jersey numbers remain different.

MadDawg
09-26-2014, 10:09 AM
First, I don't think we know if ole miss got special permission for those or not, so we don't know if the NCAA "disallowed" the '38' helmets.

Secondly, the Az St helmet is, uh, interesting, but I have no problem with it.

Third, no matter if your argument has merit, you will look like a petty jerk if you try to make an issue out of something honoring Chucky Mullins. We need to let this one go, fellas.

FlabLoser
09-26-2014, 10:10 AM
I see this just like the Vandy "Anchor Down" thing and the issue with "Hail State" on jerseys, only its a lot more low brow to have a rule restricting how a player can be memorialized.

CadaverDawg
09-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Sorry, the NCAA is classless.

They are trying to be like the No Fun League with a death grip on the appearance of teams. Why they'd disallow a big 38 on Ole Miss helmets while Arizona State can run around wearing this is beyond me.

http://cdn.nikeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/New-Arizona-State-Helmets-Flames-2.jpg

Were those flames there before UCLA torched them?*

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2014, 10:15 AM
In this instance........let it go. I agree with the above though, If they were playing it would be a 15 yard personal foul for every new player entering the game.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Why the thread name change? I never said they were a violation, I just asked a question.

MadDawg
09-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Were those flames there before UCLA torched them?*

Nice.

TheRef
Why the thread name change? I never said they were a violation, I just asked a question.

Merged with another thread.

Boodawg
I don't think anyone has a problem with the 38 on the helmet, but it is a rule enforced by the NCAA. I think they should be allowed to wear them with no penalty, but I am interested to see what will be said or done by the NCAA. Probably nothing which would be the right thing to do.

mstatefan91
09-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Bafoom has somehow found this thread to be derogatory towards the memorial. I haven't seen anything in that direction at all in this thread. I like their idea and hope there are no issues with it personally.

This is from Bafoom though.

Evidently, taking a flying jump intentionally onto another player's belly or balls is just part of the game, and anyone objecting to it is a giant ***** who can't handle MSU's success. But putting "38" on a helmet to honor a player who died from a football injury is a violation to be looked at closely.

E ****ing D.

To the person who said this, take another read through this thread. Nothing negative is being said about Chucky Mullins or the memorial. Posters are just curious about what the NCAA is going to do, and everyone hopes they do nothing.

FlabLoser
09-26-2014, 11:01 AM
If there is anything Elitedawgs do well, it is influencing the NCAA. #WillRedmond

whosyourdawgy
09-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Well in my opinion, this whole thread is ****ed up period. Honoring Chucky with 38 on the helmet is perfectly fine and the person that started this thread and the ones that followed all said, "not to be a dick or anything". Bullshit. Y'all were being dicks. Let it go. Delete this ****ing thread because it makes us all look like uncompassionate dicks. We had Nick Bell's number on the field larger than life, and that is probably a violation too. I don't remember any Rebels posting anything negative about Bell or anything we did to honor him. Honoring a fallen player especially one that has meant so much to a program should be offlimits to bullshit, and that's all this thread is is bullshit. All this does is give Rebel fans something to use against us and rightfully so.

Political Hack
09-26-2014, 11:15 AM
I think this thread has been more of a commentary on the stupid BS rules of the NCAA than on OM honoring Chucky. I haven't seen a single post degrading that... and if there are any, point it out to the mods, and we'll delete it. No room for that.

I was watching that game when it happened and that moment will stick with me forever. The guy made a play and lost everything while going all out for OM. It would be sad not to honor him.

Coach34
09-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Nobody has said anything derogatory about Chucky or them honoring them.