PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss caller on Finebaum today represents how they skew perception......

Goat Holder
09-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Dude says, "Paul, I watched that Oregon/Washington State game, what would their offense do against an SEC top level team like Alabama, Ole Miss or Auburn?" Paul addressed the comment, and said they would likely falter against an Alabama or Auburn.

Anyways, that's how they do it. They believe it about themselves, therefore it becomes their reality. If they do it long enough, stupid people outside their fanbase start to believe it, because it's trendy. People like journalists and media typically.

Most of the time you need the muscle and the perception. I happen to think we have more muscle than Ole Miss at this point. If we had just HALF of the perception power of Ole Miss, we'd probably bring in Top 10 classes and be ranked #5 right now. How do we change it? Well, I saw somebody mention Matt Wyatt the other day, how he plays Mr. Objective while Dick Cross is a homer. That would be a good starting point. He's got a voice and an audience. Technically the 'media' I guess.

archdog
09-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Yeah, can we just once have a homer that wears maroon glasses, a maroon suit and white shoes. I want a huge homer on the radio. Why cant wyatt do that?

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Yeah, can we just once have a homer that wears maroon glasses, a maroon suit and white shoes. I want a huge homer on the radio. Why cant wyatt do that?

We have bigger problems as a fan base. I have a state fan arguing on twitter about how horrible Day's actions were and that's not what we need associated with our team. When we can't even unite as a fan base behind one of our players, how in the blue hell do we expect to get a public figure homer?

AlSwearengen
09-25-2014, 08:05 PM
I heard that caller and you are right. They can have five straight losing seasons and if they open the sixth season 4-0 by beating a bunch of patsies, they step right into the role of SEC power. And they believe they are right there with bama, georgia, etc. A typical MSU fan would need at least ten seasons of 9-3 or 10-2 seasons to start thinking we belonged among the elite in the same way they think of themselves.

I think it comes from their entitled upbringing and it filters down to their "regular joe" fans. By regular joe, I mean people who aren't doctors or lawyers.

RossDawg82
09-25-2014, 08:22 PM
That was one of the funniest thing I have heard in a long time

Dawgcentral
09-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Perception will be defeated by reality. It all starts with the Alabama game, though Memphis could actually put forth a bigger scare than Boise State.

They have weaknesses. They have yet to be exploited because they haven't yet faced an innovative coaching staff, much less a team with depth and talent.

They're a bowl team, but they're not an SEC West contender. They simple don't have the "coaching up" factor, conditioning, nor the discipline. And character matters.

smootness
09-25-2014, 08:29 PM
We have bigger problems as a fan base. I have a state fan arguing on twitter about how horrible Day's actions were and that's not what we need associated with our team. When we can't even unite as a fan base behind one of our players, how in the blue hell do we expect to get a public figure homer?

This whole thing about 'unity' above all is absurd. Yes, it's good to get behind our players and support the team. It's also good not to be blinded by team colors when evaluating right and wrong.

messageboardsuperhero
09-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Dude says, "Paul, I watched that Oregon/Washington State game, what would their offense do against an SEC top level team like Alabama, Ole Miss or Auburn?" Paul addressed the comment, and said they would likely falter against an Alabama or Auburn.

Anyways, that's how they do it. They believe it about themselves, therefore it becomes their reality. If they do it long enough, stupid people outside their fanbase start to believe it, because it's trendy. People like journalists and media typically.

Most of the time you need the muscle and the perception. I happen to think we have more muscle than Ole Miss at this point. If we had just HALF of the perception power of Ole Miss, we'd probably bring in Top 10 classes and be ranked #5 right now. How do we change it? Well, I saw somebody mention Matt Wyatt the other day, how he plays Mr. Objective while Dick Cross is a homer. That would be a good starting point. He's got a voice and an audience. Technically the 'media' I guess.

I'd laugh my ass off if I'd have heard that... I've never seen people flip out like them over back to back 6-6 and 7-5 seasons. What has UM accomplished in the last 50 years that makes them think they're elite? What has UM accomplished this year to make anyone think they're a top 10 team? We'll just have to wait two weeks to find out just how good they really are...

yjnkdawg
09-25-2014, 08:33 PM
I heard that caller and you are right. They can have five straight losing seasons and if they open the sixth season 4-0 by beating a bunch of patsies, they step right into the role of SEC power. And they believe they are right there with bama, georgia, etc. A typical MSU fan would need at least ten seasons of 9-3 or 10-2 seasons to start thinking we belonged among the elite in the same way they think of themselves.

I think it comes from their entitled upbringing and it filters down to their "regular joe" fans. By regular joe, I mean people who aren't doctors or lawyers.

OM has proven nothing yet. Their rankings are based upon hype and that $$$$$ recruiting class. It seems like OM's most obnoxious fans are those that didn't even graduate from OM. I guess they like Hotty Toddy and the Grove? I think Bama will derail the train.

Goat Holder
09-25-2014, 08:33 PM
They're a bowl team, but they're not an SEC West contender. They simple don't have the "coaching up" factor, conditioning, nor the discipline. And character matters.

10-2 is their ceiling, about like us. They aren't going on the road and beating Texas A&M or Arkansas. Their season is made according to what they do against Alabama, LSU, Auburn and MSU. We are ahead of projections, seeing how we just took down one of our 'automatic' losses, although at this point that could be shifted to Texas A&M and @ Alabama.

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2014, 08:42 PM
This whole thing about 'unity' above all is absurd. Yes, it's good to get behind our players and support the team. It's also good not to be blinded by team colors when evaluating right and wrong.

If I thought he did anything wrong I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, he says it was accidental and Mullen said it was not accidental. My own viewing showed nothing where I could prove intent and what was in his heart. Due to that I am going to believe him and Mullen, and since I believe them I think the suspension is crap. Especially in light of what is done and is not punished at all.

Rick Danko
09-25-2014, 08:43 PM
What has UM accomplished in the last 50 years that makes them think they're elite? .

Didnt you know? Hell, ole miss fans and espn knows.... Sorry? Let me fill you in. 2 years ago they had a TOP 5 recruiting class. BOOOMMM!

LC Dawg
09-25-2014, 08:49 PM

I agree. And we also have State fans saying we shouldn't get too excited about beating #8 LSU on the road at night because we don't know if LSU is good yet.

Coach34
09-25-2014, 08:53 PM
I actually agree with Goat here. Very good observation and a great example of what they do. They always lump themselves with the big boys like they are actually one of them. They market and push all these stories to ESPN. They may be the best school in the SEC at steering perception

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2014, 09:04 PM
I actually agree with Goat here. Very good observation and a great example of what they do. They always lump themselves with the big boys like they are actually one of them. They market and push all these stories to ESPN. They may be the best school in the SEC at steering perception

And that's because, with very rare exception, they are a united fan base all pulling the same direction. They get their marching orders and off they go. Like LC just said...we can't even all agree decimating LSU on the road at night is a big win. I'm not sure if it is just some of our fans expecting the worst and waiting for the reality of years past or not wanting to be called a homer. We are on the cusp of a magical season, but we all need to do everything we can to celebrate every positive and not assume the worst about our players and regurgitate the bear talking points. I realize 99% of us are on board. Need all of us.

Lloyd Christmas
09-25-2014, 09:06 PM

I'm glad our fans are waking up to this. In this day and age perception is more powerful then ever because of social media and the group think that it spawns. It pains me to say we must fight fire with fire. We shouldn't feel bad about our lack of "perception pumping" compared to Ole Miss though. Their entire school culture is and always has been about surface value. It makes them Da Vincis at perception manipulation.

Quaoarsking
09-25-2014, 09:20 PM
This is why I'm emailing AP voters and trying to get them to vote us higher. I hope others join me.

Bully Dee Williams
09-25-2014, 09:39 PM
It's funny that a little doubt is starting to creep into their fan base after we beat LSU. I have exchanged conversations with OM fans that are getting worried about their lack of run game and depth issues along both lines.

I disagree that they have a ceiling of 10 wins. I think their ceiling is 8 wins this year. They won't beat Bama, I don't think they will beat LSU at DV, Arky might destroy them on the ground, I think Auburn beats them, and I think Mullen stomps them into the ground. ATM is one I'm on the fence about right now. They could sneak one, but I don't think they will. I just refuse to accept their hype.

TUSK
09-25-2014, 09:47 PM

one of these does not belong... OM doesn't have the perception (outside the state) you think they do... they are there via attrition and a relatively weak top 25... case in point: UCLA.

Mutt the Hoople
09-25-2014, 09:58 PM
The Mississippi State University definitely belongs with the Big Boys this year. the university of ole miss needs to learn their place. They've spents hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to get the other teams on probation so they could win the sec west by default. They have the reputation of Unger from The Longest Yard.

TUSK
09-25-2014, 10:15 PM
The Mississippi State University definitely belongs with the Big Boys this year. the university of ole miss needs to learn their place. They've spents hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to get the other teams on probation so they could win the sec west by default. They have the reputation of Unger from The Longest Yard.

I agree with Mutt on this one... I've told several of my football buds that "this isn't your dad's MSU"... some are actually MSU fans, too...

very physical (sometimes a tad too much)... a strong RB 13, strong WR 1, and a leader 15...

not to mention, a JLDesque DL rotation...

Yall are one of a very few teams that concern me....

BossDawg
09-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Did he really say a top level SEC team like Ole Mrs? Really? hahahahaha

There's not enough medication in the world to fix their hallucinations.

War Machine Dawg
09-26-2014, 12:29 AM

He's busy waiting for Jim to STFU so he can actually analyze the play. Plus, his wife is Ole Miss royalty. Can't upset the in-laws by exposing their school.

BulldogBear
09-26-2014, 08:47 AM
He's busy waiting for Jim to STFU so he can actually analyze the play. Plus, his wife is Ole Miss royalty. Can't upset the in-laws by exposing their school.

And RC is his EMPLOYER not his partner. Big difference.

With the Bears it's all about the absolutely very real conviction that they are better than us on and off the field. When that is not validated it totally rocks their world. They can't stand it. It's like believing you're this handsome guy and then looking in the mirror and seeing Lurch. They just cannot believe it. State cannot dominate LSU so LSU must suck. I have a Bear friend that couldn't understand why Tyler Russell chose MSU when he could've gone to "a nationally known football powerhouse like Ole Miss." They don't realize that they rub shoulders with us, Vandy, KY, etc. on the whole. But they think they are rubbbing shoulders with Bama, LSU, Florida, etc. They are a normal guy that looks in the mirror and sees Ahnold. They are a power every year until proven otherwise and then they'll have excuses. To understand their reasoning you only have to go to OS article in 2008 that made a dead serious article that at 9-4 it was travesty that the AP didn't do the right thing and vote them #1.

Tdawg
09-26-2014, 09:08 AM

I'm not saying this specific to the Day incident, but what you are implying is cult-like, blind loyalty; regardless of actions or results. That's just stupid. Groupthink and mob-mentality is NOT a good thing for any organization. Period.

defiantdog
09-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Tusk is right. Outside of Mississippi, no one cares about OM. Living in Alabama, I never hear Auburn or Bama fans talking about playing OM. To them, OM is just another game. OM fans are just pissed because after the LSU game, other fans began to fear playing us.

1bigdawg
09-26-2014, 10:01 AM

I agree smootness. However, we do not have to be public in criticizing our players.

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm not saying this specific to the Day incident, but what you are implying is cult-like, blind loyalty; regardless of actions or results. That's just stupid. Groupthink and mob-mentality is NOT a good thing for any organization. Period.

You don't air your own dirty laundry in public in a business where perception matters.

Johnson85
09-26-2014, 12:15 PM

It's not unity above all else. It's not going out of your way to assume the worst about players on your team and doing it in a public manner. Dillon Day had one personal foul that was of a type you see in about every game. Players get overhyped and they make stupid mistakes, but provided it's not a Fairleyesque type situation where it looks like there's an intent to injure somebody, it's not really something to get too worked up over. He also had one play where he stepped on somebody that looked questionable. Maybe he did something stupid, maybe not, but if you're not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (which is fine), surely you could refrain from calling him a 17ing liar on twitter. If you know him personally and based on his character, you think he's lying, go ahead and call him on it publicly if you want to, but don't be a ass and just publicly speculate that he's a lying sack of shit that tries to injure people with dirty plays.