PDA

View Full Version : When are the 1st rankings by the committee?

Leroy Jenkins
09-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Don't they release the only top 25 that matters in mid October?

ETA: just saw Oct 28th.

Dawg496
09-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Hopefully that night, since we play Kentucky that day.

Sure would be nice to be sitting at 7-0 at that point waiting on those rankings to come out. Especially if FSU/Oregon/Oklahoma/Bama have dropped one.

FlabLoser
09-25-2014, 01:07 PM
I think the committee doesn't release anything except which 4 teams have been seeded into the playoffs.

Or.... Maybe I'm wrong.

Leroy Jenkins
09-25-2014, 01:36 PM
I think the committee doesn't release anything except which 4 teams have been seeded into the playoffs.

Or.... Maybe I'm wrong.

They do their own top 25.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/about-the-rankings

"The committee will rank the top 25 teams in the country and assign teams to the semifinals and to the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls in years when they are not hosting semifinal games."

Quaoarsking
09-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Doing rankings every week is going to be a disaster. The committee should meet 1 time and make its decision.

If you're #5, you're going to have to wait for one of the 4 above you to lose before you can get in, no matter how impressive you look or how unimpressive the Chosen 4 look. The committee will essentially be picking 4 teams in the middle of the season, and waiting for those 4 to fall out, rather than waiting for entire resumes to pick the 4.

I'm 100% pro-playoff (I'd like 8 even more than 4), but this is an awful idea that will surely go away in a couple years.

RougeDawg
09-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Doing rankings every week is going to be a disaster. The committee should meet 1 time and make its decision.

If you're #5, you're going to have to wait for one of the 4 above you to lose before you can get in, no matter how impressive you look or how unimpressive the Chosen 4 look. The committee will essentially be picking 4 teams in the middle of the season, and waiting for those 4 to fall out, rather than waiting for entire resumes to pick the 4.

I'm 100% pro-playoff (I'd like 8 even more than 4), but this is an awful idea that will surely go away in a couple years.

I tend to agree with this being a disaster if they release weekly rankings. This was the beginning of the end of the BCS, because the weekly shuffling was over scrutinized. They should release a top 8,10,16, etc, in no particular rank, and leave it at that. Maybe show the first four in, first four out, or something similar. If they put out a ranked list of anything people will nit pick stats, scores, and losses in attempt of validating "said" team.

smootness
09-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Hopefully that night, since we play Kentucky that day.

Sure would be nice to be sitting at 7-0 at that point waiting on those rankings to come out. Especially if FSU/Oregon/Oklahoma/Bama have dropped one.

If we're 7-0 at that point, we won't have to worry about not being in the top 4. We'll probably be there in 3 weeks if we win the next two.

LC Dawg
09-25-2014, 07:33 PM

I agree. Weekly is a bad idea.