PDA

View Full Version : Has the SEC Office Opned up a Box?

BeastMan
09-25-2014, 12:05 PM
http://3rdand57.com/has-the-sec-opened-pandoras-box/

What do you guys think? The Day situation in itself has been beat to death but looking at this story from a more macro sense is thought provoking

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Great article Beast! Yes they have opened a box, but I doubt they suspend anyone else. They'll blame it on the player not being a repeat offender, but it's hard to be a repeat offender when you never suspend anyone to begin with.

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Nope. They haven't opened anything. They'll continue to look the other way whenever an Alabama or Auburn, or LSU do anything like this. They'll also look the other way when two mid or low tier SEC teams are playing each other. Only when one of those low or mid tier SEC teams are playing someone the front office considers an elite team will this matter. All Slive sees is dollar signs. The more often we get teams in the BCS bowls, or now the playoffs, the more money the conference gets and the more money he gets in his pocket. That is all he cares about. He couldn't give a fart in a noisemaker about being fair. What is bad is that he doesn't even try to hide it. This is a prime example. Alabama seemingly never getting called for holding is another. Nick Fairly even being allowed to put on a uniform while at Auburn is another. Want to change sports. Fine. UK not getting a foul called late in a game. Point is, you have to know that this is coming straight from the front office. He instructs the SEC referees like I heard the wrasslin' instructs their referees in a TV special. Call everything you see...just don't see everything.

ckDOG
09-25-2014, 12:26 PM
http://3rdand57.com/has-the-sec-opened-pandoras-box/

What do you guys think? The Day situation in itself has been beat to death but looking at this story from a more macro sense is thought provoking

Solid article and I agree for the most part. However, there is no Pandora's box. The SEC does not have to be consistent and has shown that it cares not to. This is a response to the haves bitching about the have nots. I think we should continue to point out the conferences hypocrisy, but I don't anticipate any changes being made under the current SEC administration.

Fans are allowed to be hypocrites. It's part of being a fanatic. The conference should show better and more consistent judgement.

The Croom Diaries
09-25-2014, 12:46 PM
That was a good article, and you should be right, but I don't think this will really open Pandora's Box per se. This was a perfect storm of unusual play, having a sky cam, the biggest game of the week, having it happen multiple times in one game, and it created a media explosion. Plus the SEC just isn't going to punish the big boys like they will do to us....that is probably more exaggerated in our heads than it really is, but if there is a SEC team with a shot at the national title they won't get suspended. Even if we were 9-0 or something and had a similar circumstance I think they would cut us some slack. This whole thing just blew up. And while it sucks to not have Day on the field vs. A&M, I believe all publicity is good publicity. Between that, beating LSU in death valley and the Dak for Heisman love we have been talked about more this week in the national media than in the last 10 years combined. That's a good thing.

TUSK
09-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Nope. They haven't opened anything. They'll continue to look the other way whenever an Alabama or Auburn, or LSU do anything like this. They'll also look the other way when two mid or low tier SEC teams are playing each other. Only when one of those low or mid tier SEC teams are playing someone the front office considers an elite team will this matter. All Slive sees is dollar signs. The more often we get teams in the BCS bowls, or now the playoffs, the more money the conference gets and the more money he gets in his pocket. That is all he cares about. He couldn't give a fart in a noisemaker about being fair. What is bad is that he doesn't even try to hide it. This is a prime example. Alabama seemingly never getting called for holding is another. Nick Fairly even being allowed to put on a uniform while at Auburn is another. Want to change sports. Fine. UK not getting a foul called late in a game. Point is, you have to know that this is coming straight from the front office. He instructs the SEC referees like I heard the wrasslin' instructs their referees in a TV special. Call everything you see...just don't see everything.

http://www.coachingbysubjectexperts.com/tin-foil-hat-free/

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2014, 02:07 PM
http://www.coachingbysubjectexperts.com/tin-foil-hat-free/

Take a look at the gifs in the article linked above and others that have been linked since Day was suspended and then get back to me. There's a reason there's a running joke in the SEC about Alabama and no holding calls. Hint: It's not that your lineman are just that good.

TUSK
09-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Take a look at the gifs in the article linked above and others that have been linked since Day was suspended and then get back to me. There's a reason there's a running joke in the SEC about Alabama and no holding calls. Hint: It's not that your lineman are just that good.

You're aware that an official associated with SEC Officiating was on "Head to Head" Radio Show about a year ago and when grill by Matt Wyatt, he provided data that said Alabama was "in the middle of the pack" (6 or 7th, I think) in penalties, right...?

Now, that being said, I will admit that if anyone gets the benefit of the doubt in officiating, it's Bammer.

For arguments sake, let's say there is a conspiracy... How do you think it's coordinated and financed? Are officials compensated based on the success of the "Haves"? I love a good conspiracy.

Political Hack
09-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Bama doesn't have to pay officials. a they have better talent and coaching than 99% of America.

However, you'd better damn well believe Mike Slive protects their investment into that product and does what he can to protect them, and LSU, and Florida, and UGA, etc... It's political and there's no way around it. When State starts being the shining star that scores the conference billion dollar TV deals, we'll get the benefit of the doubt too.

And yes, this suspension could open up pandoras box. There will be an expectation of the SEC levying punishments for on the field actions now, much like the NFL. It has begun...

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2014, 02:52 PM
You're aware that an official associated with SEC Officiating was on "Head to Head" Radio Show about a year ago and when grill by Matt Wyatt, he provided data that said Alabama was "in the middle of the pack" (6 or 7th, I think) in penalties, right...?

Now, that being said, I will admit that if anyone gets the benefit of the doubt in officiating, it's Bammer.

For arguments sake, let's say there is a conspiracy... How do you think it's coordinated and financed? Are officials compensated based on the success of the "Haves"? I love a good conspiracy.

Coordination is very simple. It is unofficially made very clear that the historically elite teams get any benefit of the doubt during the games. A quick google search showed that SEC officials make between $800-$2,200 game. That's $9,600 - $26,400/year. Not bad change for a part time weekend job. Most people would kill to be able to knock down some extra coin of that magnitude and still be able to keep their day job. Since they unofficially know who to protect (in the job description you might say) then not hard to imagine being able to find a few guys willing to tow the party line. After all, i bet there are file cabinets full of resumes in Birmingham of people begging to be SEC officials. They are expendible.

blacklistedbully
09-25-2014, 02:53 PM
I think the head-rip LSU's #52 tried on Dak was WAY more dangerous and with "intent to injure" than what D-day did. I wish I could come up with a good video clip I could post and send to the SEC offices.

TUSK
09-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Name G Pen. Yards PPG Y/G
1 Alabama 85 385 3178 4.5 37
2 MSU 80 418 3430 5.2 43
3 Tennessee 77 420 3338 5.5 43
4 Kentucky 78 400 3397 5.1 44
5 Vanderbilt 80 449 3635 5.6 45
6 SC 83 464 3804 5.6 46
7 Mississippi 79 443 3672 5.6 46
8 Arkansas 79 487 3830 6.2 48
9 LSU 83 537 4264 6.5 51
10 Auburn 81 488 4168 6.0 51
11 Georgia 83 570 4535 6.9 55
12 Florida 82 615 4912 7.5 60

this data is for all penalties, not just "holding"... edit

TUSK
09-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Bama doesn't have to pay officials. a they have better talent and coaching than 99% of America.

However, you'd better damn well believe Mike Slive protects their investment into that product and does what he can to protect them, and LSU, and Florida, and UGA, etc... It's political and there's no way around it. When State starts being the shining star that scores the conference billion dollar TV deals, we'll get the benefit of the doubt too.

And yes, this suspension could open up pandoras box. There will be an expectation of the SEC levying punishments for on the field actions now, much like the NFL. It has begun...

these teams are the MOST penalized (along with AU)...

AROB44
09-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Damn, Tusk.....quit bringing facts on here that don't support our argument. Don't you know better.

TUSK
09-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Damn, Tusk.....quit bringing facts on here that don't support our argument. Don't you know better.

are they considered "Hate Facts"?

Hypnodawg
09-25-2014, 03:44 PM
If I hold on 15 downs and get called for it 1 time, but you hold on 2 downs and get called for it 1 time, do you consider that even? The saying is, BAMA holds on every play.

TUSK
09-25-2014, 04:33 PM
If I hold on 15 downs and get called for it 1 time, but you hold on 2 downs and get called for it 1 time, do you consider that even? The saying is, BAMA holds on every play.

every team holds on most every play. It's just not being to overt with it.

Dallas_Dawg
09-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Tusk, you can't look at penalty yards per game as proof that they don't help certain teams. It is more about WHEN at flag is thrown that can influence the outcome of games. At the beginning and at the end is when I see discrepancies.
For example, our game vs LSU last week, they called PI against us on a very tack call. On the previous drive, they PI'd the shit out of us. Of course, they let it slide. There was another call there at the beginning that could have gone either way, but they gave it to LSU. We STILL whipped that ass though.
Point being, timing is everything when it comes to penalties.

TUSK
09-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Tusk, you can't look at penalty yards per game as proof that they don't help certain teams. It is more about WHEN at flag is thrown that can influence the outcome of games. At the beginning and at the end is when I see discrepancies.
For example, our game vs LSU last week, they called PI against us on a very tack call. On the previous drive, they PI'd the shit out of us. Of course, they let it slide. There was another call there at the beginning that could have gone either way, but they gave it to LSU. We STILL whipped that ass though.
Point being, timing is everything when it comes to penalties.

You and I agree RE: timing of penalties; however, I just don't buy the notion that Mike Slive actively conspires with officials (who get graded on performance) to rig games that are on national TV every week...

In fact, if officials are in the tank for the "money teams" and against the "have nots" how are there ever any upsets?

If there is an upset, do the officials get demoted or docked pay?

I just want to know how the conspiracy works... really.

Dallas_Dawg
09-25-2014, 10:33 PM
It's not necessarily a conspiracy, just a natural subconscious effort to reward the team with the best reputation. Just like Michael Jordan and Lebron James get all of the calls from the officials.

BossDawg
09-25-2014, 10:41 PM
A box of tampons, yeah.

TUSK
09-25-2014, 10:49 PM
It's not necessarily a conspiracy, just a natural subconscious effort to reward the team with the best reputation. Just like Michael Jordan and Lebron James get all of the calls from the officials.

I almost mention "Michael Jordan/Larry Bird" calls... (bulls) Lakers & Celtics got a bunch of em, too,,,,nutty!

so, how often do you believe this has cost MSU a game vs Bammer? and when?

I'd just like to know specific incidents when the "natural subconscious effort" made a difference...

I have some particular games in mind, myself....

Dallas_Dawg
09-26-2014, 07:20 AM
I almost mention "Michael Jordan/Larry Bird" calls... (bulls) Lakers & Celtics got a bunch of em, too,,,,nutty!

so, how often do you believe this has cost MSU a game vs Bammer? and when?

I'd just like to know specific incidents when the "natural subconscious effort" made a difference...

I have some particular games in mind, myself....

I don't remember the year but the time Relf was QB and we played at Auburn. They gave Auburn a first down when there was daylight between the stick and the ball. There was another bad call too at the end of that game that costed us.
Let's hear yours...

Political Hack
09-26-2014, 07:57 AM
these teams are the MOST penalized (along with AU)...

I'm not talking penalties... I'm talking handing out BS suspensions when one of those coaches calls and whines like a little school girl to Slive. The "refs are on the take" argument has also been absurd to me.