PDA

View Full Version : A&M is a "Tough Match-Up" for us? Or for them?

Political Hack
09-25-2014, 08:40 AM
I keep hearing everyone say that A&M is a tough match up for us, but no one is talking about how we're a tough match up for them. Comparing the two, I'd much rather have our match up than theirs.

We will be able to run and pass on them. They will be able to pass on us.

our defense matches up better against their offense than their defense matches up against us. Also, we've created 9 turnovers. They've created 3. We're #12 in the nation in defensive 3rd down conversion. They're #40. And here's the big one... We are NUMBER ONE in the nation in red zone defense. They are in the 70's.

Fellas, we are going to party like it's 1999 (<---- holy crap, that's a good potential game day sign). Put your big boy pants on. This is a bad match up FOR THEM.

AFDawg
09-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Obviously with a comparison like this you are in sketchy--possibly meaningless--territory, but our Rice games are an interesting comparison. If nothing else it illustrates the difference in style.

Team Stats RICE MSST
First Downs 7 27
Total Plays 48 76
Total Yards 145 533
Passing 84 294
Rushing 61 239
Penalties 3/18 2/30
Possession 24:42 35:18
Turnovers 1 1

Team Stats RICE TA&M
First Downs 28 23
Total Plays 91 59
Total Yards 481 477
Passing 241 309
Rushing 240 168
Penalties 8/66 6/60
Possession 43:14 16:46
Turnovers 0 1

Also, winning at night in Death Valley > winning at night in Columbia.

MrKotter
09-25-2014, 08:59 AM
People keep saying that because Mullen said our D was built to stop Bama, Lsu, Aub, etc...and aTm could give us fits. They're just regurgitating what he said.

I agree with you though, Bell should be able to stay home for this one. He shouldn't be needed.

DudyDawg
09-25-2014, 09:01 AM
People keep saying that because Mullen said our D was built to stop Bama, Lsu, Aub, etc...and aTm could give us fits. They're just regurgitating what he said.

That's a bit unfair IMO. It has a lot to do with how our secondary played for parts of the UAB game and the end of LSU. Not just what he said.

I know that's what scares me about them. I think we can beat them, but I'm nervous as all hell

codeDawg
My game plan if I am Kevin Sumlin is to test our safeties in coverage. He probably thinks his OL is good enough to give Hill time to throw the 15 yard+ routes to some huge targets.

If I'm Collins, we are in bringing the heat this week. The corners will have to come with their A game in man coverage because we are going to try to light up Hill and force a bad throw on a route we can jump. We should be doing full on, JLD with everybody standing up and moving around causing confusion. This offense is tempo and timing, so anything you can do to disrupt that is going to pay dividends.

I don't know how to tell them to stop our offense. We are finally doing what Mullen wants to do. Spread them out thin, find the one-on-one matchup, and beat your guy. We finally have the QB that can find the match ups, and the skill position guys to win one-on-one. To beat us, you have to get Dak to do the wrong thing because you are not going to win every individual battle. You can't load the box b/c Dak can sling it. You can't sit back because JRob and Dak will run through you.

I'm so excited about this game.

ckDOG
Like any SEC matchup, it will be about controlling the LOS. I have loads more confidence we can do that on both sides of the ball after the LSU game. Control pace of game with dominating OL performance. Force Kenny into poor throws with our front 6 or 7.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2014, 09:03 AM
I think the wild card here is that we have an off week to prepare. Without an off week to prepare, a team like A&M will light you up, but with an off week, I just feel like our coaches will have the chance to implement and execute a great game plan. Plus the off week offers our coaches the chance to improve our secondary through practice.

If our offense plays like it did at LSU, we will score on everybody. We will beat A&M by at least 10 points. 42-32

dickiedawg
09-25-2014, 09:03 AM
The key, just like last week, will be limiting big plays.
They're not going to drive the field on us and our Red Zone D, as you mentioned, is legit.

maroonmania
09-25-2014, 09:07 AM
Sure hope you are correct but I disagree. We just don't have enough guys good in coverage to slow them down and I don't like having to think we need to score near 50 points to win. I see A&M as the toughest matchup for us the rest of the season. If we pull this one off then the sky is the limit for us IMO.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2014, 09:07 AM
They're not going to drive the field on us and our Red Zone D, as you mentioned, is legit.

I agree with this, if we can limit big plays and force teams to score in the red zone, I think we stand a good chance against anyone.

The only thing is, A&M loves to throw quick routes and the get the ball out of Hill's hand. If we play with to much cushion, they will eat us alive.

codeDawg
09-25-2014, 09:08 AM

Another way to go at it is to let them have the big plays and force them to turn it over and make mistakes. The D is not going to be on the field long enough to get tired one way or another, so we should be balling out every play. If we're moving the ball, it may be the best way to win the shootout.

sleepy dawg
09-25-2014, 09:08 AM
We definitely need to bring pressure constantly. Luckily KFF is no JFF when it comes to running. We should be blitzing constantly.

To your question though, when you talk about A&M, the question is always, can you keep up and can you stop them a few times. With the exception of LSU, everyone has had trouble with A&M. They aren't just a matchup problem for us, they are for everybody. I think the only way we can win is by pressuring like we've never pressured before. 4 great D Linemen won't be enough. We'll need to blitz constantly.

codeDawg
09-25-2014, 09:13 AM
The only thing is, A&M loves to throw quick routes and the get the ball out of Hill's hand. If we play with to much cushion, they will eat us alive.

That's what I am thinking. This offense is all about getting the ball out quickly to a spot where the receiver has momentum. They will eat up 5 yard gains all day if we sit back. I think we have to play man defense, contest the short routes, take opportunities for INTs, and get to Hill if they try to go deep.

They are going to get some big plays no matter how we play. That's fine, but we can break them if we break their rhythm. We're going to score a lot too. We just need to do it at our own pace and get the takeaways on D.

Bully041184
09-25-2014, 09:14 AM

Bingo! Bump and run will have to be utilized with our corners a good bit to allow our DL to add pressure and force quick throws.

Political Hack
09-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Sumlin was 0-2 last year when facing SEC teams after they had a bye week (it was Bama and LSU, but still... 0-2).

LC Dawg
09-25-2014, 09:17 AM
I went back and watched some highlights from their South Carolina game and one thing I noticed was Carolina missed a lot of tackles. If we can tackle well and cause disruption along their OL I think we will be in good shape. If we can bring quick pressure up the middle I think we create a lot of problems for Hill. They'll have some big plays but we just have to respond. Like we did when LSU scored on that fumble recovery.

Bothrops
09-25-2014, 09:20 AM
They will score on our secondary. I just want to stop the run as much as possible. This is a much faster team than LSU and they are better coached than them. I hope to see multiple blitz packages and our defense to win the LOS.

EAVdog
09-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Arkansas will beat them up physically this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised to see Arkansas win that game or keep it real close. Don't sleep on Arkansas because they are a throwback Offense. They physically beat Texas Tech into submission with 2 of the SEC's best Running Backs.

Then aTm has to turn around and come to Starkville. I feel pretty good about this game.

And the next weekend Auburn comes to Starkville after playing LSU.

Love this schedule.

yjnkdawg
09-25-2014, 09:40 AM
My thinking is on the defensive side is to pressure pressure and more pressure Hill. Even if you don't get a sack, hit Hill. That might make him a little antsy in the pocket and throw his timing off. Just about any quarterback in the SEC can complete passes with little or no pressure, and Hill appears not to be just any other quarterback. Also on their wideouts, play a tight man to man coverage and physical on the line of scrimmage, as it seems like most of their passes are quick short passes. Safeties and Cornerbacks must have their A game. On offense, if we don't get one dimensional (which we shouldn't), I think we will cause their defense a lot of problems. I hope Ross gets the opportunity to have a break out game as well. And please, no more prevent defense with a 3 man rush.

Percho
09-25-2014, 09:46 AM
I still think we will have 4 picks against them.

DudyDawg
09-25-2014, 09:47 AM
I went back and watched some highlights from their South Carolina game and one thing I noticed was Carolina missed a lot of tackles. If we can tackle well and cause disruption along their OL I think we will be in good shape. If we can bring quick pressure up the middle I think we create a lot of problems for Hill. They'll have some big plays but we just have to respond. Like we did when LSU scored on that fumble recovery.

This. They, or any team, will not win throwing 60 times to guys within ten yards unless the D misses tackles. That's what this and teams like OM's offenses are predicated on, getting skill guys in space and letting them make plays. If we keep them in front and tackle well, we win. If we let 3 yard slants or bubble screens turn into 15 yard plays, we will get smoked. Just gotta tackle. They'll get their points, just gotta make em earn it

Political Hack
09-25-2014, 09:52 AM
we tackle in space and are the very defense in the nation in the red zone. that spells trouble for them IMO.

They can't run, and unless they hit big play after big play after big play, they won't be able to keep up with our offense. We are going to ram it down their throats all night... err morning.

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2014, 09:53 AM
I haven't read every response so I may be repeating what others say. If so, then I agree with you and not stealing your thoughts as my own.

They are 4th in FBS in sacks which on the surface makes you think they can pressure the QB and adds to the angst of not having Day. However, they have played teams that would get beat by Sisters of Mercy Blind Nun Convent. USCe is far from what we thought they were I don't care if they did beat UGA. I also think our running game, especially Daks, will really cause them to not be as aggressive with blitzes. Add in our misdirection screens and reverses and if they pin their ears back too many times they will get burned on an 80 yard end around with Lewis or Holloway.

Defensively, you can't help but be concerned with the intermediate to long pass play. Hill is no JFF and does not have his escapability but if he has time to throw he has shown he can shred a defense and our defense has been suspect in pass coverage. I know people have thrown out stats showing that a lot of the pass yardage was on backup players or players going for the INT instead of the pass defense, or when we were in a prevent. Maybe so but the fact remains those yards are there. UAB burned us 5 times, USA would have if their receivers had been able to catch, and LSU did at the end. If you are an opposing OC you have to be planning your scheme around attacking us deep. Until we prove we can stop it our secondary will be tested and tested often. Now, the counter to that is our front 4 being able to get sustained pressure every play. If Jones, Smith, and company can live in the backfield and make him throw off his backfoot or pull it down then that will help immensely.

Offensively for us, until I see A&M stop somebody with a pulse I am not worried about us. We are dismembering every defense we play. Three were cupcakes, yes, but one was supposed to be an elite level SEC defense. By late 3rd quarter the LSU defense had given up. One reason I hate Dan took his foot off the gas. They were begging to be put out of their misery and he refused to do it. I don't think he makes that mistake again. If he does then he deserves a cowbell across the back of his head.

So, how do gameplan our offense? Do you go HUNH and try to match them score for score and hope we have the ball last and can make some stops along the way or do you grind it out and try to have 14 play, 8 minute drives and limit A&M's possessions and believe our defense will stop them more than they will score on us? My opinion, our defense is playing well for the most part. I think you have to show them you believe in them and go in thinking they will be able to stop the aggies and play grind it out, wear them football. With Day not playing we don't have as much depth on the offensive line so a slower paced game may help them not be as tired by the end of the game.

SignalToNoise
09-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Paging Coach57. Always look forward to reading your thoughts.

SignalToNoise
09-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Some thoughts: If we win the toss, I would want the ball. Why? To ram it down their throats and set the tone of the game. Put pressure on them to respond. If our defense gets a stop and they are unable to answer then whoa momma that stadium will come to life!

TrapGame
09-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Some thoughts: If we win the toss, I would want the ball. Why? To ram it down their throats and set the tone of the game. Put pressure on them to respond. If our defense gets a stop and they are unable to answer then whoa momma that stadium will come to life!

I like that. Our house, our ball, now GTFO!

HailState39110
09-25-2014, 10:15 AM
I think everyone is referring to the WRs TAMU has. Ricky Seals Jones and Speedy Noil will probably be the best WR duo we will face this year. They have some crazy talent at some positions . Some are comparing the Freshman DE they have to Clowney bc of his pass rushing skills .

I think we have a great chance of winning . Just depends if we can hold them in the red zone a few times, and be able to keep up with their pace. I like the fact that this will be Mullen's 5th time to play Sumlin bc they faced each other twice while he was at Houston

Maroons
09-25-2014, 10:18 AM
I think everyone is referring to the WRs TAMU has. Ricky Seals Jones and Speedy Noil will probably be the best WR duo we will face this year.

Noil is supposedly out for our game.

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Noil is supposedly out for our game.

Good chance. I found a site that tracks college injuries and as of yesterday he is listed as out indefinitely with a knee. I'll have to say, I hate anyone being injured but it won't break my heart if he is still out for our game.

DudyDawg
09-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Good chance. I found a site that tracks college injuries and as of yesterday he is listed as out indefinitely with a knee. I'll have to say, I hate anyone being injured but it won't break my heart if he is still out for our game.

Whats the website? Could help me not lose so much with my bets

CadaverDawg
09-25-2014, 10:28 AM
I think we'll see a ton of psychotic defensive schemes. Shit that will make young Hill confused. I hope we make a STATEment and beat their ass.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2014, 10:31 AM
I think we can all agree that Collins will have to put together 2 of his best game plans ever to win these next 2. And I think he can.

TrapGame
09-25-2014, 10:37 AM
I think we'll see a ton of psychotic defensive schemes. Shit that will make young Hill confused. I hope we make a STATEment and beat their ass.

The extra week will be HUGE in scheming for Kenny Hill.

Political Hack
09-25-2014, 10:43 AM
I think we can all agree that Collins will have to put together 2 of his best game plans ever to win these next 2. And I think he can.

I honestly don't think so. I think we're that much better than them. If we play up to our capacity, neither of those teams can beat us in Starkville. It's going to be a pretty simple game plan, with the potential for some adjustments in terms of how much we blitz/keep Safeties over the top. That, to me, is the only major in game adjustment we could see. I do to see us going to a zone much... I don't see us throwing 8-9 in the box a lot... I don't see us coming with a lot of run blitzes... I don't see us blitzing off the edge more than a few times per half...

I think we're just going to line up, tackle in space, date them to take shots against Redmond and Calhoun, and let P Smith, Jones, BMac, and company wreak absolute havoc up front. Wouldn't be shocked to see Preston get his 3rd INT of the season in this one to be honest.

Personally, I'm more worried about big penalties hurting us than them consistently running up and down the field. Targeting, flask masks, etc... to extend drives would be a killer, and we will be a target by the SEC refs for the next few weeks. No way around it.

HoopsDawg
09-25-2014, 10:45 AM
I'll tell you what you don't do against A&M, play a 3 man front. Chris Wilson tried a 3 man front and we got lit up. Amazingly SC played a 3 man front in game 1 and got blown off the map at home. We need to stick with our 4 man front and rotate guys through to keep them fresh. It will be up to the front 4 to control the LOS. This will allow us to drop 7 in coverage and bring some different blitzes at the right time.

codeDawg
09-25-2014, 11:13 AM
I'll tell you what you don't do against A&M, play a 3 man front. Chris Wilson tried a 3 man front and we got lit up. Amazingly SC played a 3 man front in game 1 and got blown off the map at home. We need to stick with our 4 man front and rotate guys through to keep them fresh. It will be up to the front 4 to control the LOS. This will allow us to drop 7 in coverage and bring some different blitzes at the right time.

Well, everybody is trying to put more people in the secondary for coverage, and I just don't think that works against this style of offense. The ball is going to either come out quick, or he's going to burn you deep. If you can cover the short routes with tight man coverage and keep him from the deep routes with pressure, I think you can win a lot of series. They are going to hit a few big plays, but we'll have some of those ourselves.

drunkernhelldawg
09-25-2014, 11:37 AM
My game plan if I am Kevin Sumlin is to test our safeties in coverage. He probably thinks his OL is good enough to give Hill time to throw the 15 yard+ routes to some huge targets.

If I'm Collins, we are in bringing the heat this week. The corners will have to come with their A game in man coverage because we are going to try to light up Hill and force a bad throw on a route we can jump. We should be doing full on, JLD with everybody standing up and moving around causing confusion. This offense is tempo and timing, so anything you can do to disrupt that is going to pay dividends.

I don't know how to tell them to stop our offense. We are finally doing what Mullen wants to do. Spread them out thin, find the one-on-one matchup, and beat your guy. We finally have the QB that can find the match ups, and the skill position guys to win one-on-one. To beat us, you have to get Dak to do the wrong thing because you are not going to win every individual battle. You can't load the box b/c Dak can sling it. You can't sit back because JRob and Dak will run through you.

I'm so excited about this game.

Exactly. In modern football, pressuring the passer is more likely to work than dropping back in coverage. Of course, the trick play can get you when you pressure.

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Whats the website? Could help me not lose so much with my bets

http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/

preachermatt83
09-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Tempo teams win by wearing down their opponent, we can keep fresh guys in every other series due to our depth. That is where I think we win the game. They will not wear us down.

Sacrifice
09-25-2014, 12:29 PM
I thought Larry Fadora had the best game plan for Sumlin when Southern beat Houston for the conference USA title in 2011. At the time, Houston was ranked 7th in the country and Case Keenum was throwing all over everybody. Southern jumped on them early and went up 14-0. USM was very balanced on offense, they passed it 34 times and ran it 39 but on D southern just didn't give up the big play and didn't miss many tackles. Keenum got his yards, I believe he threw for almost 400 but he only had 2 TDs with 2 picks. Houston had to play from behind the whole game and USM beat there ass 49-28. It was a MAJOR upset at the time.

defiantdog
09-25-2014, 01:26 PM
I think they're going to come out throwing against our defense. Short passes.... no developing plays. A&M's offense is real similar to Oregon's.... it's really hard to stop that. IF we RTGDF and control the clock, we'll keep their offense off the field to give us more opportunities for this game. I really don't see them trying to run the ball at all.

TrapGame
09-25-2014, 02:17 PM
I think they're going to come out throwing against our defense. Short passes.... no developing plays. A&M's offense is real similar to Oregon's.... it's really hard to stop that. IF we RTGDF and control the clock, we'll keep their offense off the field to give us more opportunities for this game. I really don't see them trying to run the ball at all.

I can see the RTGDF game plan working well against A&M. Keep their offense on the sideline watching ours go for 6 minute grinding drives. I doubt A&M's defense could really stop JRob.

Johnson85
09-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Playing a 3 man front against them was great when JFF was there, provided you had DL and OLB athletes like LSU and Bama had.

I don't see why you'd try that with the way hill plays though. I don't like the way we match up with them at all but one thing that should help us is Wells and Brown are fast enough to do a good job in coverage.

Political Hack
09-25-2014, 02:53 PM
I'd let P Smith rip the double team up the A gap all night long. He can't be stopped. Hill will be running for his life.

I seen it dawg
09-25-2014, 02:53 PM
If we played them today we would whip their ass. They have not and will not (until maybe Bammer)see the physicality and the athleticism they are going to see next Saturday. LSU just got a whiff of it. Now we are really going to be pissed off and, as someone said a couple of days ago, because we are off we will be ready to kill somebody come next Saturday. This game is really bad news for A&M. Their plane ride home is gonna be real ****ing quiet.

Johnson85
09-25-2014, 02:54 PM
I honestly don't think so. I think we're that much better than them. If we play up to our capacity, neither of those teams can beat us in Starkville. It's going to be a pretty simple game plan, with the potential for some adjustments in terms of how much we blitz/keep Safeties over the top. That, to me, is the only major in game adjustment we could see. I do to see us going to a zone much... I don't see us throwing 8-9 in the box a lot... I don't see us coming with a lot of run blitzes... I don't see us blitzing off the edge more than a few times per half...

I think we're just going to line up, tackle in space, date them to take shots against Redmond and Calhoun, and let P Smith, Jones, BMac, and company wreak absolute havoc up front. Wouldn't be shocked to see Preston get his 3rd INT of the season in this one to be honest.

Personally, I'm more worried about big penalties hurting us than them consistently running up and down the field. Targeting, flask masks, etc... to extend drives would be a killer, and we will be a target by the SEC refs for the next few weeks. No way around it.

I agree with this for Auburn but not A&M. I think KSU showed that for all of the good things Malzahn does, it's still largely a matter of playing assignment football. KSU's job was made a lot easier by the fact that Auburn couldn't make them pay for the fist two or three quarters when they went man to man, but it's still a lot about discipline, which I guess Bill SNyder teams largely have.

A&M to me is a lot more difficult. I guess it doesn't have to be anything complex if you can simply go out there, keep their guy in front of you, and wrap up and make the tackle the first opportunity. But that's a lot easier said than done and I hope we have some wrinkles that make it difficult for Hill and takes some pressure off our coverage guys.

I seen it dawg
09-25-2014, 02:56 PM

There's no trying...they WONT be able to run it.

Political Hack
09-25-2014, 03:01 PM
I agree with this for Auburn but not A&M. I think KSU showed that for all of the good things Malzahn does, it's still largely a matter of playing assignment football. KSU's job was made a lot easier by the fact that Auburn couldn't make them pay for the fist two or three quarters when they went man to man, but it's still a lot about discipline, which I guess Bill SNyder teams largely have.

A&M to me is a lot more difficult. I guess it doesn't have to be anything complex if you can simply go out there, keep their guy in front of you, and wrap up and make the tackle the first opportunity. But that's a lot easier said than done and I hope we have some wrinkles that make it difficult for Hill and takes some pressure off our coverage guys.

LSU's athletes > A&M's athletes (especially with Speedy out). We can tackle in space as well as any team I've watched this year.

evan_aggie
09-25-2014, 03:05 PM
You guys sound like SC fans before the opener. It makes victory even better. I'd still put A&M as a 4 pt favorite but will know more after Arkansas.

Political Hack
09-25-2014, 03:19 PM
You guys sound like SC fans before the opener. It makes victory even better. I'd still put A&M as a 4 pt favorite but will know more after Arkansas.

no one expected A&M to be this good. No one expected State to be this good.

I just think we've got much much more balance than y'all running and passing, as well as offense and defense. Our team is just much more well rounded. That said, you obviously can't sleep on Sumlin. The guys a freaking Wizard.

I seen it dawg
09-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Maybe so but SC has shown they really are average. Us not so much. I'd take your 4 points throw them in the trash and moneyline it on us.

defiantdog
09-25-2014, 03:22 PM
We'll see how well A&M is against the run this Saturday against Arkansas.

Johnson85
09-25-2014, 03:22 PM
LSU's athletes > A&M's athletes (especially with Speedy out). We can tackle in space as well as any team I've watched this year.

LSU's athletes may be better, but Sumlin is much better at getting his athletes the ball in open space.

chainedup_Dawg
09-25-2014, 03:27 PM
I would play similar to the Egg Bowl last year. Play up on the line and knock their receivers off their routes. 4 man front, wrap up-sure tackling.

Johnson85
09-25-2014, 03:28 PM

It's going to come down to A&M's defense. USCe has been such a Jekyl and Hyde show this year, I'm not sure how much of y'all's performance was just USCe playing poorly and not being good enough at the pass to keep your D honest and how much of it is A&M's D finally reflecting the talent that has supposedly been recruited. I'm not sure how much new info the Arkansas game will give us. If their passing isn't good enough to stop y'all from loading the box (I don't think it is, but we'll see), all that tells us is that we will have to complete passes to win, but I think we have shown we can do that.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2014, 03:36 PM
I thought we actually had some success against Texas A&M last season. Yes they scored 51 points, but we stopped them 8 times. 21 of their points came short fields. I think Collins put together a great gameplan against them last year, and but we made too many mistakes to win. I also think Collins' gamplan may have helped LSU and Missouri

Here is the drive chart from last year, and notice the short field drives that won them the game.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=2fe7dec33a&view=fimg&th=148ae847dd7f87ed&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_i0ik58ic0&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ_WeVu-dgiR1G1BTeFCtpYyzlCpGXSGRj1pO0oIfDIDVgXegPn4CsEdlm aLS98vOT8Ts0v3z4aaBmz5NnBmIWpCBB_JAV8XY0D7rOkY47TC zoxnmRwtx6BfBEA&ats=1411677198503&rm=148ae847dd7f87ed&zw&sz=w1345-h515

Johnson85
09-25-2014, 03:49 PM
I thought we actually had some success against Texas A&M last season.

I think we definitely beat last year's A&M team with this year's team. I just think this year's A&M team is better. They may not be quite as good on offense, but they're still plenty good on offense and their defense looked a lot better against USCe than it ever did last year. If it turns out that was due more to USCe being terrible than A&M being better, we might have a surprising Saturday. But I think they are actually improved. My only question is how much.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2014, 03:59 PM
I think we definitely beat last year's A&M team with this year's team. I just think this year's A&M team is better. They may not be quite as good on offense, but they're still plenty good on offense and their defense looked a lot better against USCe than it ever did last year. If it turns out that was due more to USCe being terrible than A&M being better, we might have a surprising Saturday. But I think they are actually improved. My only question is how much.

I think we will learn a lot about A&M this weekend. They lost a lot of talent since last year. I'm not ready to crown them as being better this year because they ambushed a team that was starting a bunch of new players on opening night. They've played bad teams since then.

HoopsDawg
09-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Playing a 3 man front against them was great when JFF was there, provided you had DL and OLB athletes like LSU and Bama had.

I don't see why you'd try that with the way hill plays though. I don't like the way we match up with them at all but one thing that should help us is Wells and Brown are fast enough to do a good job in coverage.

No it wasn't. LSU played a 4-3. Bama played a 3-4, but that was their base defense and they still couldn't really stop them. We can definitely win this game, but people doubting A&M's talent are just foolish or ignorant. They have recruited extremely well since joining the SEC.

confucius say
09-25-2014, 04:32 PM
My two cents:

Schematically, I play a lot of cover two, nothing over the top. I have a lot of pre snap movement, but mostly play a cover cover two zone (easier to stop running game than when in man bc defenders never turn back to qb and rb). I jam the piss out of their wr on the outside (even when in zone) and then my corners fall into their zone. When I do play a man look, I keep safety help over the top and jam their wr on outside and in slot. When I blitz, I bring the pressure in Trill's face, not from the outside. Nothing makes passing qb's more uncomfortable than pressure right in their face.

Our down four have to get pressure. You need to hear ryan brown and aj jefferson's names a lot. And we MUST tackle well. This is key. aTm makes a living on yards after catch.

IMissJack
09-25-2014, 05:14 PM
there, and they still do. If we cannot get pressure with front 4, then Kenny Hill will sit back in the pocket and take the intermediate 10-12 yd passes all day.

Dawgcentral
09-25-2014, 06:46 PM
there, and they still do. If we cannot get pressure with front 4, then Kenny Hill will sit back in the pocket and take the intermediate 10-12 yd passes all day.

Exactly. We get pressures and sacks with the front four and we'll get instant hits and coughed up balls on receivers. Combine that with open field tackles on the short stuff, making them earn it, and we'll have success.

Our experienced LB's will be a tremendous asset. Depth will keep us fresh. Summlin's play calling and innovation will be our worst enemy.

JDog13
09-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Arkansas will beat them up physically this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised to see Arkansas win that game or keep it real close. Don't sleep on Arkansas because they are a throwback Offense. They physically beat Texas Tech into submission with 2 of the SEC's best Running Backs.

Then aTm has to turn around and come to Starkville. I feel pretty good about this game.

And the next weekend Auburn comes to Starkville after playing LSU.

Love this schedule.

Yeah but UTEP ran all over TT also.

evan_aggie
09-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Ok. Im here to revisit. Miss St should be 6pt fav. A&M offense looked like crap against Arky and we'll sure as hell lose to the Bulldogs if we play like that.

I think our better pass rushers will shine more against you guys than they could against a run first...or all the time offense.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Ok. Im here to revisit. Miss St should be 6pt fav. A&M offense looked like crap against Arky and we'll sure as hell lose to the Bulldogs if we play like that.

I think our better pass rushers will shine more against you guys than they could against a run first...or all the time offense.

We ran for over 300 yards against LSU. Try again.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2014, 11:16 PM

yeah, we ran for over 300 against LSU and we have an extremely mobile QB that will likely give your pass rushers hell. If fact, I'll go ahead and say that you will likely not want to hear from your pass rushers, because, if they get to far up field trying to sack Dak, he'll take off for about 20 or a TD

To compare us to Arkansas, we are far more balanced, and, while Arkansas tries to pound it down your throat with two tight ends, we will spread your ass out and then pound it down your throat.

Problem is, you don't know if our NFL running back or duel threat NFL QB will be doing the running. Futhermore, we have no problem to going play action and hitting one of our 5 or 6 capable receivers down the field.

Your best chance is to out score us on deep passes down the field. Our CBs smell like toast because they've been burnt a lot.