PDA

View Full Version : Where does the LSU win rank?

Todd4State
09-24-2014, 11:04 PM
They were a top 10 team on the road and we haven't beaten a top 10 team on the road since 1986.

The interesting thing to me is both are known for famous runs by our QB. Don Smith had his TD run into the Smokies and then Dak had his big run against LSU.

TXDawg
09-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Not just the best in Dan's career, but the best in MSU history.

Intramural All-American
09-24-2014, 11:17 PM

I wasn't alive at the time, but I would have to think beating #1 Bama is still the best of all time. This win is probably top 3 in my life time, though.

cheewgumm
09-24-2014, 11:20 PM
I think it ranks high in the context of what it's going to mean if things go as we hope in the season. It will possibly lead to a win over A&M and possibly more. I do think we will look back at it as a start but it will seem clear we should have expected to beat LSU this time.

Simply huge for Mullen. We were well prepared which we had to be to take this step. To me, he came up huge which will lead to big things possibly.

Good call on the long runs by QBs. I remember the Tennessee game... That was great, but we were not near as good as weight be now.

ShotgunDawg
It's pretty high up there, and in some ways it could be the biggest, outside of games in 98 that helped us win the West, because it wasn't a fluke. Sure, we've had upsets in the past that propelled us to a bowl game, but I'm not sure that we've ever walked into an upper tier SEC team's house and taken them to the woodshed. In some ways that lessens the surprise of this win, but in much bigger ways it's shows the shift that has happened in our program. Saturday night's win was validating. We know we've gotten better, but to many people in the country, we were a team that recruited in 20s and didn't have the talent level to beat the big boys. On Saturday night we slammed that door, not by winning the game, but the way we won it.

Notice how you haven't heard about "Recruiting Rankings" this week. Why? Because they don't mean shit when you win games. This win provided validation of our program and the way we do things. It also provides the motivation to keep doing things that way, and it provides the opportunity to play bigger games.

Most of all, the way we won this game allows all of our players to look themselves in the mirror and have the confidence in themselves and trust in their coaches that we can beat ANYONE. If you can take LSU to the outhouse at night in Tiger Stadium, what can't you do?

DistrictDawg92
Hopefully 2014 will have 3 out of the top 5 here in about 3 weeks

LC Dawg
09-24-2014, 11:23 PM
1. 1980 Bama
2. 1998 Arkansas
3. 2014 LSU

DistrictDawg92
09-24-2014, 11:28 PM
I also think the 2009 egg bowl was a big game. We had lost to them by almost 50 and got shut out the year before, but Mullen dominated them and grabbed momentum in the state and never looked back. That game was the biggest step in getting us to where we are now and is often overlooked.

NorCalDawg
09-24-2014, 11:36 PM
1. Alabama - 1980
2. Arkansas - 1998 (I rank this one higher than LSU 2014 only because it got us to Atlanta)
3. LSU - 2014
4. Florida - 2000
5. Alabama - 1996

FlabLoser
09-24-2014, 11:39 PM
1. 1980 Bama

After that, I think you have to rank them by the importance to the program.

2. 1998 Arkansas put us in the SEC CG
3. 1991 Texas put the Sherrill era of MSU football on the map and change the expectations of fans for at least 3 decades
4. 2014 LSU Honestly the jury is still out on this, but for now it appears MSU may have made that difficult turn from good to great.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2014, 12:00 AM
Hopefully this list will grow as our season progresses.

War Machine Dawg
09-25-2014, 12:07 AM
It's a top 5, but #1 is 1998 Arkansas. Winning the division & going to Atlanta. #2 is beating #1 Bama. After that, it's a dogfight.

drunkernhelldawg
09-25-2014, 12:56 AM
In some ways, it depends on the rest of the season. The thing that makes it potentially great is the opportunity it sets up. Funny thing is, if we do take advantage of that opportunity, another win this season could be even bigger.

BrunswickDawg
09-25-2014, 07:24 AM
1. 1980 Bama

After that, I think you have to rank them by the importance to the program.

2. 1998 Arkansas put us in the SEC CG
3. 1991 Texas put the Sherrill era of MSU football on the map and change the expectations of fans for at least 3 decades
4. 2014 LSU Honestly the jury is still out on this, but for now it appears MSU may have made that difficult turn from good to great.

Gotta agree with you Flab. The 1980 win against a #1 Defending National Champ coached by the Bear, and almost got us an SEC Title (but for my man Lindsay Scott!LindsayScott!LindsayScott! - sorry guys) will only be topped by a Title of some kind (SEC or Natty). For those of us on campus in 91 that Texas game was real important - because it established the Kang as someone we could believe in and we knew we could compete.

drunkernhelldawg
09-25-2014, 07:55 AM
Gotta agree with you Flab. The 1980 win against a #1 Defending National Champ coached by the Bear, and almost got us an SEC Title (but for my man Lindsay Scott!LindsayScott!LindsayScott! - sorry guys) will only be topped by a Title of some kind (SEC or Natty). For those of us on campus in 91 that Texas game was real important - because it established the Kang as someone we could believe in and we knew we could compete.

Yes. And thanks to JWS, we are all aware of the difference "between a bull and a steer."

Hypnodawg
09-25-2014, 08:26 AM
2000 Florida has to at least be on the list.

MsStateBaseball
09-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Nothing will ever top, beating 1# Alabama coached by Bear Bryant. Such a dramatic game at the very end. Nothing.

curmudgeon
09-25-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm sure preachermatt will disagree with me, but here's how I see it.

It has potential to be one of the greatest wins in MSU history. But right now, its just a big win. 1980 Bama and 1998 Arkansas were mentioned, and rightly so, but 2000 Florida and Auburn were a lot like this.

For you young ins, we were the best team in the West from 1997-2000, but had a reputation of not finishing the job. We controlled our own destiny in the West headed into the final two games all three years, but only once was able to take advantage of it. When we won the West in '98, it wasn't until beating Arkansas that we entered the Top 25.

In 2000, expectations were as high as they were in 2014 preseason. We had a favorable schedule, not unlike this year. We went to South Carolina and lost in Week 3, and fell out of the Top 25. You see, South Carolina was 1-21 in their previous two seasons. They had beaten a couple nobodies in the first two weeks, but no one thought they were any good (turned out to be). Here comes #3 Florida and a top 15 Auburn in Weeks 4-5. We dominated both teams and there was no doubt that we were one of the nation's best teams.

The pundits talked about us like a contender. Conference Call was full of MSU talk. Then we tanked. Those games are still good memories, but not the biggest wins in school history like they could have been. That's how I see LSU at this point. If we ride it to a division championship - that will be one of the biggest wins in school history. If not, it will join a long list of good wins, like '97 Auburn when we went in there and beat a top 10 team 20-0 to take control of the West, only to lose it.

But I'm sure preachermatt will disagree with me.

Dawg61
09-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Y'all are drunk. Beating LSU won't even be our best win THIS YEAR.

fishwater99
09-25-2014, 10:19 AM

It was a great win on the road over an over-rated Top 10 LSU team..

1980 will always be our biggest win until we get to the National Championship...

DudyDawg
09-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Y'all are drunk. Beating LSU won't even be our best win THIS YEAR.

Hope you're spot on

Liverpooldawg
09-25-2014, 10:38 AM
We beat another #1 (I think they were #1, they were absolutely one of the top programs at the time) team on the road back in the 30s, Army. That has to be in the Top 5. I would say beating Ole Miss in 1940 6-0 would have to be the biggest win in school history. It was a winner take all for the SEC title. Bama in 80 and Arkansas in 98 are there. I would rank the Ole Miss win in 1999 just because of how it happened. Those would be my Top Five in no particular order other than the Fatal 6-0. The LSU win is certainly in the next 5. It might set up one down the road that could break into the Top Five. We will just have to see how it plays out.