PDA

View Full Version : The AP knows what "Ole Miss" means

FlabLoser
09-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Some Confederate group is suing Ole Miss to make them stop changing symbols of the Old South. I think that's nuts. Ole Miss can do whatever it wants.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2014/09/24/confederate-group-seeks-to-stop-ole-miss-changes/16161407/

But the article says...

A Confederate history group asking a court to block the University of Mississippi from changing Old South symbols on campus.

The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports Wednesday that Sons of Confederate Veterans filed papers Sept. 18 in Lafayette County Chancery Court. The group seeks an order to stop the university from making changes such as renaming Confederate Drive.

University attorney Lee Tyner says he will respond later. A hearing is set for Oct. 27.

The university said Aug. 1 it would provide historical context for Old South symbols on the Oxford campus, including possibly adding a plaque to a Confederate soldier statue. The school recommended limiting use of its Ole Miss nickname to athletics, not academics.

"Ole Miss" originally was a name slaves used for a plantation owner's wife.

NAFOOMers are going apeshit over this, even denying where the term "Ole Miss" came from.

The University of Mississippi's own website had this entomology for many years until Coach34 ranted enough about it that they took it down. But I've got screenshots for posterity.

Furthermore, somebody at NAFOOM is embarrassed that their board is overrun with MSU topics. They've locked all of them. I guess they are content to have their board to go down to like 15 posts per day.

We at ED have no shame in having Ole Miss threads here because Ole Miss folks can't post in them.

Thanks for reading.

BeardoMSU
09-24-2014, 11:29 PM
I saw that, lol.

Some of the comments are pretty funny; talk about revisionists history.

FlabLoser
09-25-2014, 12:11 AM
WAPT edited their version of the AP story by removing the last sentence.

Revisionists.

Boycott WAPT.***

I tweeted @16WAPTnews to prove to them that Ole Miss's own website at one time validated that comment, as proven by this link to a March 16, 2002 version of a webpage at www.olemiss.edu:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020316084449/http://www.olemiss.edu/conf/welcometable/whyOM.html

The state of Mississippi opened its flagship university in 1848. The first
chancellor of the university, F.A.P. Barnard strove to create a one of the most
advanced educational institutions of the time but his efforts were interrupted
by the Civil War. As sectional controversy increased, Mississippi joined the
fray, following South Carolina into secession in 1861. In February, 1861,
Governor John J. Pettus commissioned the University Greys. Almost all of the
university's students enlisted in the new regiment and when only four students
reported to campus in the fall of 1861, the university closed, while most of
its students went off to fight for the cause of the Confederacy. Ultimately,
the University Grays suffered a one hundred percent casualty rate at Gettysburg.

General Robert E. Lee's admonishments after the Civil War to furl the battle
flag seemed to hold sway for a time. The more important business of recovering
from the devastation reeked by the war was tantamount. But tied closely to that
recovery was the treatment of newly-freed slaves. The hopes for equality promised
during Reconstruction were quickly dashed. Mississippi led in the creation of a
Jim Crow state, legislating segregation with its post-Reconstruction
constitution in 1890. All Southern states soon followed its example. It was not
a completely dismal time--in 1882, the university admitted women to the college,
ahead of most flagship universities in the South.

In the early decades of the twentieth century, a cadre of New South boosters
lobbied for reconciliation with the North in an effort to propel economic
advancement in the still-crippled region. It has been noted that one of the best
creations of the New South was the Old South, a suggestion that reflects those
New South boosters' attempts to mitigate their supplication of the assistance of
the North by hearkening back to a nostalgic, if illusory, "moonlight and magnolia"
time under slavery. During this time period, the university became known as
"Ole Miss," a moniker used by slaves to describe the wife of the plantation owner.

In 1948, on the heels of his own presidential initiative on race, President Harry
Truman desegregated the armed forces. In addition, he followed the recommendation
of his civil rights commission and added a civil rights plank to the Democratic
Platform for that year. In response to this addition, the entire delegation from
Mississippi and half of the delegation from Alabama walked out of the Democratic
Convention. They formed a new party, the Dixiecrats, and ran Strom Thurmond from
South Carolina as their presidential candidate. In the wake of this rebellion
against recognition of civil rights as a priority, students at the university
rallied behind their state's politicians, unfurling the Confederate battle flag put
away long before. Thus a new "tradition" began.

And yet, cooler heads seemed to prevail for a time. With the defeat of the
Dixiecrats, Mississippi elected a moderate governor, J.P. Coleman. In 1953, a
survey conducted by the student newspaper found that a majority of students
attending the university would welcome a black student. But after allowing the FBI
to investigate a lynching in the state, Coleman was defeated in the next
gubernatorial election by Ross Barnett. On May 17, 1954, the Supreme Court
abolished segregated education and massive resistance to integration began in the
South.

In 1962, after months of negotiation, James Meredith was admitted to the university,
the first black student. Many from outside the state came to campus to repel what
they saw as an attack upon their way of life, calling the occasion the last battle
of the Civil War. They were joined by students and Mississippians as well. The
Kennedy administration called in federal troops to quell the uprising. Caught in
the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis, President Kennedy was informed that missiles
in Cuba had a range of 4500 miles. He replied, "Can they hit Oxford, Mississippi?"
His retort attests to serious nature of the resistance to integration at the
university. That resistance to Meredith's arrival on campus caused a night of rioting
on September 30, 1962, with two dead and many wounded. Troops remained on campus for
the next year protecting Meredith, who graduated the following May.

In civil rights historiography, the riot at the University stands as a signal event.
The University of Mississippi has changed greatly over the last 35 years. Today
about 12% of the student body is black, but bullet holes still riddle the Lyceum
columns in the Circle and their existence is tangible evidence of the lengths some
have been willing to go to prevent racial justice. James Meredith, in a recent
column in the Daily Mississippian, called "Mississippi" the most powerful word in
the English language. From slavery to Civil War battles, to entrenched segregation
and the violent lynchings of Emmett Till, James Chaney, Michael Schwerner, and Andrew
Goodman, among many thousands of others, Mississippi holds a prominent place in the
memory of those concerned with human rights.

And yet, throughout its history, the state has witnessed many whites and blacks who
havechallenged white supremacy. Too often, their story remains untold. Mississippi
is the bogeyman of racism for the United States and has become the repository of all
that is impossible to improve. The record of those who have challenged those
stereotypes is clear. The participation in a national conversation committed to
challenging racial oppression by Mississippians attests to the continued desire and
willingness to change. Therefore, there is perhaps no more appropriate place to hold
a discussion on race relations than the flagship university of the state of Mississippi.

Ole Miss is trying very hard to revise history. They don't want people to know that "Ole Miss" was originally slave slang for a plantation owner's wife. But our ugly history is important to understand. Revising history because a lot of people enjoy athletics at the University of Mississippi is lie and an injustice.

DancingRabbit
09-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Karma's a bitch.

sbcmortgageman
09-25-2014, 04:42 AM
I love when Flabloser gets fired up. That's when he does his best work.

Mutt the Hoople
09-25-2014, 05:45 AM
I saw that, lol.

Some of the comments are pretty funny; talk about revisionists history.
Listening to Rebel fans today, you'd be convinced that Ole Miss students were fighting side-by-side with the 82nd Airborne and federal sheriffs to let James Meredith into school.

Coach34
09-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Listening to Rebel fans today, you'd be convinced that Ole Miss students were fighting side-by-side with the 82nd Airborne and federal sheriffs to let James Meredith into school.

Ain't that the damn truth

archdog
09-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Although almost everyone I know from high school that is an Ole Miss fan was and/or is a raging racist, you do have to admit none of their current students had anything to do with their crappy racist history. Other than those ultra racist and obvious examples of bigotry that has happened in the past 5 years.

Kimdechee, please come out of the closet.

Pollodawg
09-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Most of the OM people I know are fans because of its symbolism and perceived link to the Old South. When they dumped Colonel Reb, most of these folks went apeshat.

Bully13
09-25-2014, 09:34 AM
How long would it have taken this type of thread to be locked and a few banhammers dropped at the other board? Kinda funny the local and nacional media can discuss racist aspects of ole miss but not at the pack.

TheRef
09-25-2014, 09:43 AM
http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/26621735/confederate-group-seeks-to-stop-ole-miss-changes?utm_content=buffer3dae0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

MadDawg
09-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Most of the OM people I know are fans because of its symbolism and perceived link to the Old South. When they dumped Colonel Reb, most of these folks went apeshat.

This X 1,000

It was, and STILL IS, their #1 fan recruiting tool. I have friends and family (mostly the older folks) who never attended school at umiss but are die-hard rebel fans. Why? The confederate flag. Dixie. Colonel Reb. The South Shall Rise Again! Old times there are not forgotten. And everything these symbols and phrases represent.

Political Hack
09-25-2014, 10:15 AM
grinding.

FlabLoser
09-25-2014, 10:36 AM

This is their problem.

Of course there is nothing inherently racist about the current day University of Mississippi, their administration, their fans and students as a whole. But the images and "tradition" they cherish is something that racists also cherish. Ole Miss's very brand naturally attracts racists.

Its a big problem that I don't see them ever solving until they completely rebrand themselves. And I suspect they are in fact doing that at the quickest past the fanbase can stomach...which is pretty slow.

They banned confederate flags in their football stadium and everybody over there went nuts. But slowly over the years, those flags have become a little bit taboo. A good number of fans understand that flag promotes the wrong image and are against them. And another good number of fans still wave those flags in The Grove.

LC Dawg
09-25-2014, 10:40 AM
These are not old pictures.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/jcattdawg/um/OB-UX837_1011ol_J_20121011140355_zpsf7e7b021.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/jcattdawg/um/Grove9_zpse4885f60.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/jcattdawg/um/OB-UX834_1011ol_J_20121011135850_zps8bc30860.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/jcattdawg/um/OB-UX844_1011ol_J_20121011141118_zps4e0737bf.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/jcattdawg/um/DSC_0098_zps6958381e.jpg

CadaverDawg
09-25-2014, 10:40 AM
#Flabby4Heisman

CadaverDawg
09-25-2014, 10:42 AM
These are not old pictures.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/jcattdawg/um/OB-UX837_1011ol_J_20121011140355_zpsf7e7b021.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/jcattdawg/um/Grove9_zpse4885f60.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/jcattdawg/um/OB-UX834_1011ol_J_20121011135850_zps8bc30860.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/jcattdawg/um/OB-UX844_1011ol_J_20121011141118_zps4e0737bf.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/jcattdawg/um/DSC_0098_zps6958381e.jpg

I've got a new Ole Miss neighbor, and he raised his garage yesterday while I was outside, and I'll be damned if he doesn't have a giant Rebel Flag that says "Rebel Pride" covering the whole back wall of his garage. What a douche.

msstate7
09-25-2014, 11:02 AM
I've got a new Ole Miss neighbor, and he raised his garage yesterday while I was outside, and I'll be damned if he doesn't have a giant Rebel Flag that says "Rebel Pride" covering the whole back wall of his garage. What a douche.

586 rebels now think they know who you are

LC Dawg
09-25-2014, 11:12 AM

The funny thing is that idiots like that consider themselves supporting Ole Miss when Ole Miss gains nothing from that. We should start a company wholly owned by Bulldogs and African Americans and produce flags, t-shirts, etc. with Rebel Pride and Colonel Reb. Once we made a fortune off all the rednecks, of whom most have never set foot in Oxford, we could reveal who they were giving their money to.

Quaoarsking
09-25-2014, 12:06 PM
So do the NAFOOMers who deny that "Ole Miss" refers to the slave master's wife think that their own website got it wrong, or that it was hacked just long enough to get archived, or something?

Coach34
09-25-2014, 12:19 PM
So do the NAFOOMers who deny that "Ole Miss" refers to the slave master's wife think that their own website got it wrong, or that it was hacked just long enough to get archived, or something?

That was on their website forever. It was removed just a few days after I posted it on SECRANT and Sixpack a couple of years ago. Literally the Monday or Tuesday after it was posted the previous Thursday. And that was during recruiting when I began receiving threats and such

IMissJack
09-25-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm don't think they are all racists, I think they believe they are better than most people.

DancingRabbit
09-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Although almost everyone I know from high school that is an Ole Miss fan was and/or is a raging racist, you do have to admit none of their current students had anything to do with their crappy racist history. Other than those ultra racist and obvious examples of bigotry that has happened in the past 5 years.

Kimdechee, please come out of the closet.

Well, except for students from Georgia with their nooses and Obama rioting.

Liverpooldawg
09-25-2014, 05:55 PM

Same here