PDA

View Full Version : AP Voters who ranked LSU ahead of us

Quaoarsking
09-24-2014, 06:36 PM
I'll give Logan Lowery a break, and I also didn't include Ken Medlin after he publicly apologized on his blog (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ballot-box-i-need-a-recount/14006045/). However, these 7 others voters somehow didn't know about our game last week, so if you want to contact and politely and unemotionally make the case to these voters that we deserve to be ranked ahead of LSU, here's the contact information:

Voter
Twitter
Email
MSU
LSU

Jay Binkley
@3guysinagarage
jbinkley@entercom.com

Kyle Ringo
@KyleRingo
ringok@dailycamera.com
NR

Nick Baumgardner
@nickbaumgardner
nbaumgardner@mlive.com

Donald Heath
@DonaldHeathSMN
donald.heath@savannahnow.com

Garry Smits
@gsmitter
garry.smits@jacksonville.com

Adam Jude
@A_Jude
ajude@seattletimes.com

Nate Sandell
@Nsandell
nsandell@1500espn.com

By my calculation, if all 9 voters who put LSU in front of us had given us LSU's rank and moved everyone down 1, we would have been ranked 13th and been right on the door of 12th.

War Machine Dawg
09-24-2014, 07:09 PM
I tweeted to Smits. He won't apologize. All he'll say is he wasn't "out to get" us in his rankings.

sleepy dawg
09-24-2014, 07:24 PM
If these guys didn't move us up because they didn't realize we beat LSU, then it is ridiculous and they need to fix it and they need to start paying more attention because they probably do this to teams every week.

That said, if they saw the game and truly felt (because of whatever criteria they go by) that LSU should still be ranked ahead of us, then I'm actually okay with it. I love the fact that these guys can rank how they want, and I really wish they all weren't just voting the same way every week. Still, you would have to be an idiot to not rank us in the top 20 after being 4-0 with a win over LSU (which 7 guys did). The law of averages should balance things out as long as people at least know what's going on.

Jon Wilner put us 3rd and has Ole Miss 24th. Bama is 6th and FSU is 7th. I love how that guy has the freedom to do that because I know my poll would be way different than everyone elses.

BeardoMSU
09-24-2014, 07:32 PM
I'll give Logan Lowery a break, and I also didn't include Kris Medlin after he publicly apologized on his blog (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ballot-box-i-need-a-recount/14006045/). However, these 7 others voters somehow didn't know about our game last week, so if you want to contact and politely and unemotionally make the case to these voters that we deserve to be ranked ahead of LSU, here's the contact information:

Voter
Twitter
Email
MSU
LSU

Jay Binkley
@3guysinagarage
jbinkley@entercom.com

Kyle Ringo
@KyleRingo
ringok@dailycamera.com
NR

Nick Baumgardner
@nickbaumgardner
nbaumgardner@mlive.com

Donald Heath
@DonaldHeathSMN
donald.heath@savannahnow.com

Garry Smits
@gsmitter
garry.smits@jacksonville.com

Adam Jude
@A_Jude
ajude@seattletimes.com

Nate Sandell
@Nsandell
nsandell@1500espn.com

By my calculation, if all 9 voters who put LSU in front of us had given us LSU's rank and moved everyone down 1, we would have been ranked 13th and been right on the door of 12th.

wow....
http://31.media.tumblr.com/1762309bb78d26bb59fbb15cb82782a0/tumblr_mrjhkxAFyQ1ssj0hao1_500.gif

Bass Chaser
09-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Any idea if those guys had us ranked before we beat LSU?

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Who gives a flying shit? A committee with archie manning seals our fate. Not a beat writer that makes 18k a year. We go the year and lose 1 game, we are in. done.

thunderclap
09-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Who gives a flying shit? A committee with archie manning seals our fate. Not a beat writer that makes 18k a year. We go the year and lose 1 game, we are in. done.

Yup. Just keep winning.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Who cares, keep winn9ing and we will get there.

chef dixon
09-24-2014, 08:03 PM
After getting ranked in 2012 and then proceeding to suck I couldn't care less if we are ever ranked again, it means nothing. I don't need a ranking number to tell me we looked badass beating LSU.

Quaoarsking
09-24-2014, 08:21 PM

The committee isn't going to do anything unexpected. They're going to pick the 4 that popular opinion says they will -- last year it would have been Florida State, Auburn, Michigan State, and Alabama. No Baylor. The AP Poll isn't the end-all, be-all, but it definitely sets the national mood.

And it's not just playoff bids. Perceptions of teams (which rankings play a huge part in) matter for TV slots (we just got screwed there, but maybe we wouldn't have if we were a few slots higher), post-season awards (we have a player that we want to win the big one), bowl matchups, etc.

CadaverDawg
09-24-2014, 08:24 PM
The committee isn't going to do anything unexpected. They're going to pick the 4 that popular opinion says they will -- last year it would have been Florida State, Auburn, Michigan State, and Alabama. No Baylor. The AP Poll isn't the end-all, be-all, but it definitely sets the national mood.

And it's not just playoff bids. Perceptions of teams (which rankings play a huge part in) matter for TV slots (we just got screwed there, but maybe we wouldn't have if we were a few slots higher), post-season awards (we have a player that we want to win the big one), bowl matchups, etc.

Exactly. People saying polls don't matter, don't realize just how much they Do matter

ShotgunDawg
09-24-2014, 09:14 PM

A few things:

1. I agree, polls matter and they did in the BCS era as well. With ou schedule, going undefeated gets us in the playoff. I also believe that one loss and an SEC Championship gets us in the playoff. The only scenario where Alabama, Auburn, or Texas A&M may have an advantage on us is if we have one loss and don't win the SEC Championship. Under these circumstances, I believe Bama, Auburn, and A&M get into the playoff and we don't. History does matter when splitting hairs.

2. TV Time - Our TV time isn't ideal for us fans that will be at the game, but our TV time against A&M is actually better for our national perception should we win. At 7:00 at night, there will be 3 or 4 other college games on TV for people to watch. At 11:00 AM, we will be by far the most watched game in that time slot and thus get more attention for it.

Jack Lambert
09-24-2014, 09:29 PM
I tweeted to Smits. He won't apologize. All he'll say is he wasn't "out to get" us in his rankings.

I hope you called him a idiot for voting for a team over another team that just man handle then on their home field. Idiots like that why Ole Miss was pre season top 25.

FlabLoser
09-24-2014, 10:07 PM

I say the committee is going to work a similar to the BCS vote did except the committee will obviously communicate before making decisions.

The BCS poll (minus the computer part of it) was allegedly an independent vote where nobody voted until week 8 or 10 or something. And MAGICALLY the BCS vote was damn near identical to the AP poll.

I can see the AP poll having a damn strong influence on the committee. At the very least its going to bias their thinking.

That's not to say 1-4 in the AP are going to be the 1-4 seeds. But I guarantee you #12 in the AP has no ****ing shot in to see the playoff.

FlabLoser
09-24-2014, 10:09 PM
BTW, with all the press we are getting the voters who obviously paid no attention to the MSU-LSU game are going to correct their errors and barring some big upsets this week, we should move up a spot or two.

Goat Holder
09-24-2014, 10:19 PM
More fuel on the fire that is Dan Mullen's 2014 foosball squad.

Let em hate. I've been waiting a long time for a football team that could attract legit haters.

War Machine Dawg
09-24-2014, 11:58 PM
I hope you called him a idiot for voting for a team over another team that just man handle then on their home field. Idiots like that why Ole Miss was pre season top 25.

No, I politely asked why, then pointed out the rushing discrepancy. I pushed him, but did so politely. Attacking these guy with name calling won't help our cause.

Quaoarsking
09-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Jay Binkley (MSU 14/LSU 10) responded and said he thinks LSU would win more often if we played 10 times.

I think that's ridiculous, but I didn't press him on it, because he still ranked us pretty high, and he also added that we have a great team and he really likes Dak.

HenryGondorff
09-26-2014, 09:52 AM
2. TV Time - Our TV time isn't ideal for us fans that will be at the game, but our TV time against A&M is actually better for our national perception should we win. At 7:00 at night, there will be 3 or 4 other college games on TV for people to watch. At 11:00 AM, we will be by far the most watched game in that time slot and thus get more attention for it.

I get what you are saying from a national perspective, but unfortunately it isn't ideal for getting recruits to the game.... Seems like a shame to have one of our best stadium atmospheres of the season wasted for some recruits because they can't make the quick turn around after a Friday night game

thf24
09-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Jay Binkley (MSU 14/LSU 10) responded and said he thinks LSU would win more often if we played 10 times.

The debatability of that statement aside, since when has that ever been a valid criterion for voters? That would be a legitimate consideration if every team actually played each other 10 times, but they don't. I don't see how anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty can base their rankings on another 9 hypothetical games between each team.

Quaoarsking
09-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Wow! Just got an email from Donald Heath (MSU 21/LSU 15):

"I’m pretty stubborn and hate to admit I’m wrong, but I believe you’re right and will move Miss State ahead of LSU in this week’s ballot. Thanks for keeping me straight. -- don"

msstate7
09-26-2014, 03:11 PM

"I’m pretty stubborn and hate to admit I’m wrong, but I believe you’re right and will move Miss State ahead of LSU in this week’s ballot. Thanks for keeping me straight. -- don"

QK, you libs are relentless. Good job

chainedup_Dawg
09-26-2014, 03:15 PM

I think that's ridiculous, but I didn't press him on it, because he still ranked us pretty high, and he also added that we have a great team and he really likes Dak.

You should write him back "so you rank teams based on hypotheticals instead of what actually happened...that's not asinine at all"

CadaverDawg
09-26-2014, 04:13 PM

Quaoars, good work...Did you see the thread I posted about that Smith guy's response? I'll try to find it and link it.

Here it is...
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?21478-You-guys-have-to-read-this