PDA

View Full Version : The Dillon Day situation has officially been blown out of proportion

ShotgunDawg
09-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 1h
@TMatich tells us Dillion Day's stomping of LSU players "criminal" and should be suspended for the season.

The media in this country is brutal. They make mountains out of mole hills. It's a snowball that starts with a minor infraction, only for "moral apologists" to gain steam and start screaming. I'm curious if Matich ever watched the play in full speed or if someone just showed him the doctored video?

This is assinine. What happens on a football field should stay on a football field. My problem is that when you start recklessly throwing out the word "criminal" you begin smearing the reputation of a student athlete did simply did a questionable thing, that wasn't flagged, in a college football game. What piece Sh*t Matich is

maroonmania
09-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Wow, if that's the case then guys like Haynesworth, Suh and Fairley from the NFL should all get the death penalty I guess.

LC Dawg
09-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Our administration will never get the suspension overturned and they shouldn't even try at this point but if a member of the media is smearing the reputation of one of our student athletes our administration better go after them hard. That is totally irresponsible for a media member to call Day a criminal and he should be held accountable.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2014, 04:19 PM
I thought FINEBAUM said he didn't think it was intentional?

ShotgunDawg
09-24-2014, 04:21 PM

Finebaum didn't say this

messageboardsuperhero
09-24-2014, 04:33 PM

His producer did say it looked unintentional on Monday... He has since backtracked from that after the suspension and joined in on the media's Dillon Day witch hunt. It's called groupthink, and there seems to be a lot of that going on right now.

Frankly, I'm just ready to get past all this. It's a little annoying that our biggest win in years has been overshadowed by this controversy, and I hate it for the other 80 players who worked their asses off to get the win. Hell, J-Rob ran for 200 yards on only 16 carries, but I've barely seen him mentioned by anyone in the media... The sooner we can get past all this mess, the better. Hopefully it's not a distraction, and the team can rally around it and use it as motivation or something.

RiverCityDawg
09-24-2014, 04:35 PM
His producer did say it looked unintentional on Monday... He has since backtracked from that after the suspension and joined in on the media's Dillon Day witch hunt. It's called groupthink, and there seems to be a lot of that going on right now.

Frankly, I'm just ready to get past all this. It's a little annoying that our biggest win in years has been overshadowed by this controversy, and I hate it for the other 80 players who worked their asses off to get the win. Hell, J-Rob ran for 200 yards on only 16 carries, but I've barely seen him mentioned by anyone in the media... The sooner we can get past all this mess, the better. Hopefully it's not a distraction, and the team can rally around it and use it as motivation or something.

FWIW, they say they changed their position when they found out he was suspended for the same thing last year.

EAVdog
09-24-2014, 04:37 PM
This is why you have to stand the hell up for yourselves in today's world. These little shit birds will push and push until they either ruin you or you push back. Sitting back and thinking that this is over because the punishment has been handed down is naive. This incident, well the media backlash, has basically destroyed any chance Day had at the Remington Award and may impact his chance at an NFL career.

See the NFL, they are doing everything they can to take the league down. This Violence Against Women attack is just a case of opportunity. They have hit the NFL with everything from Gays, Violence Against Women, Contracts, Head Injuries, Ex-Players being broke idiots, ... and the list goes on.

MadDawg
09-24-2014, 04:47 PM
They have hit the NFL with everything from Gays, Violence Against Women, Contracts, Head Injuries, Ex-Players being broke idiots, ... and the list goes on.

so-called offensive team names......

EAVdog
09-24-2014, 04:49 PM
so-called offensive team names......

So called Bounties.

gravedigger
09-24-2014, 04:51 PM
I'm surprised that this is a big deal. Nobody was hurt beyond their feelings.

I'm a pragmatist. We'll be fine no matter what happens with the suspension. We are just as good as we thought we were and better than our opponents thought we were and that fact alone has people praying for our demise.

Dillon gets suspended again and we might lose a shot at the west. Right now the west doesn't look like it has an unbeatable team.

sheesh. I don't care about polls, recruiting rankings, or what the media who's job it is to keep people discussing stuff no matter how benign, thinks.

Sherrill instilled something bigger than this petty bull when he told us you have to beat the ref's too. He meant it's us against the world. We are going to win and do it however the f we want.

I'd like us to win the real natty and then let Dillon drop his drawers and piss in the damn trophy on national tv.

f'em all.

ckDOG
09-24-2014, 04:52 PM
FWIW, they say they changed their position when they found out he was suspended for the same thing last year.

Can someone link me to 2013 violation? Why don't I remember this?

messageboardsuperhero
09-24-2014, 04:55 PM

Fair enough...

I don't have a problem with people thinking Day's stuff was dirty. Hell, I'm not really even opposed to the suspension TBH. My problem is the double standard. We get one or two "dirty player" controversial things like this in the SEC every year, but for some reason DD is the only one getting suspended while Dial, Fairley, etc. got off scot-free.

I also think this incredibly hypocritical coming from a guy who has no issue allowing players on his team who are known assault convicts and woman beaters...

TheRef
09-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Can someone link me to 2013 violation? Why don't I remember this?

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Board/59413/Contents/Concerning-MSU-center-Dillon-Day-22636290

mparkerfd20
09-24-2014, 04:58 PM
You should know by now Finebaum talks out of both sides of his mouth. He loves to stir the pot, or at the very least, bring on 'guests' that will help stir the pot.

Coackjek
09-24-2014, 05:07 PM

^this. Also be careful showing the gif in your signature, Dak my get suspended a game of giving too hard of a stiff arm.

Ralph
09-24-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm surprised that this is a big deal. Nobody was hurt beyond their feelings.

I'm a pragmatist. We'll be fine no matter what happens with the suspension. We are just as good as we thought we were and better than our opponents thought we were and that fact alone has people praying for our demise.

Dillon gets suspended again and we might lose a shot at the west. Right now the west doesn't look like it has an unbeatable team.

sheesh. I don't care about polls, recruiting rankings, or what the media who's job it is to keep people discussing stuff no matter how benign, thinks.

Sherrill instilled something bigger than this petty bull when he told us you have to beat the ref's too. He meant it's us against the world. We are going to win and do it however the f we want.

I'd like us to win the real natty and then let Dillon drop his drawers and piss in the damn trophy on national tv.

f'em all.

+1

Covercorner2
09-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Finebaum didn't say any of this. Trevor Matich did. Learn how to read tweets, folks

codeDawg
09-24-2014, 05:34 PM
It's being blown out of proportion because now the SEC has to fill so many hours of programming every day and there is only so much content to go around. There is a much bigger spotlight on us both with the new network and being in the hunt this year.

BulldogBear
09-24-2014, 05:40 PM
@TMatich tells us Dillion Day's stomping of LSU players "criminal" and should be suspended for the season.

The media in this country is brutal. They make mountains out of mole hills. It's a snowball that starts with a minor infraction, only for "moral apologists" to gain steam and start screaming. I'm curious if Matich ever watched the play in full speed or if someone just showed him the doctored video?

This is assinine. What happens on a football field should stay on a football field. My problem is that when you start recklessly throwing out the word "criminal" you begin smearing the reputation of a student athlete did simply did a questionable thing, that wasn't flagged, in a college football game. What piece Sh*t Matich is

Of course he did. Trevor Matich has done his level best to discredit and ridicule anything positive about MSU since... forever. He HAS to be a secret Rebel somehow or other.

BossDawg
09-24-2014, 05:44 PM
if a member of the media is smearing the reputation of one of our student athletes our administration better go after them hard. That is totally irresponsible for a media member to call Day a criminal and he should be held accountable.

I agree, they absolutely should. But you know damn well our administration would never do something like that, and I have no idea why. It's like they are content with such decisions. Saying crap like that is just taking things way too far. There's jokes and then there's just being an asshole.

Dawgowar
09-24-2014, 05:47 PM
It's being blown out of proportion because now the SEC has to fill so many hours of programming every day and there is only so much content to go around. There is a much bigger spotlight on us both with the new network and being in the hunt this year.

This. All news/sports broadcasts are templated and scripted. It will all start being replaced with this weekend's game chat tomorow.

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Of course he did. Trevor Matich has done his level best to discredit and ridicule anything positive about MSU since... forever. He HAS to be a secret Rebel somehow or other.

Trying to hard

joedog
09-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Fair enough...

I don't have a problem with people thinking Day's stuff was dirty. Hell, I'm not really even opposed to the suspension TBH. My problem is the double standard. We get one or two "dirty player" controversial things like this in the SEC every year, but for some reason DD is the only one getting suspended while Dial, Fairley, etc. got off scot-free.

I also think this incredibly hypocritical coming from a guy who has no issue allowing players on his team who are known assault convicts and woman beaters...

^ This to infinity and beyond.

As a Bulldog taking off the Maroon glasses which I believe most have here is the thought process.

Was stepping on the players intentional?
Don't know. Could have been, maybe one was and the other wasn't. We will never know.

Should he be suspended? Perhaps.
If it was intentional then yes no doubt he should be. See above. Being that there were 2 instances and he had a prior issue with it I think most can agree with the suspension.

Here is where most of the fan base including myself have an issue.

Have other players been suspended for similar actions or worse?
Ummm... No. I won't give out the laundry list of players and incidents that have gone unpunished over the years. But I will mention there are a few from the same game. One is where an LSU player #4 kicks a MSU player #15 who is down in the pile after a play.

Is LSU notorious for allowing players with questionable conduct to be on the team and play?
Yes.... Don't even have to go there. Google it if you want to.

Bottom line is the suspension would be much more palatable if the rules were enforced evenly across the board. As it is, the MSU fan base feels like their team is being singled out for punishment while others are allowed to slide by. This is where the anger and frustration comes in. The fact it comes directly after one of the biggest wins in recent MSU history, brings out the foil helmets and black helicopter conspiracy theories from some of the nutters. However, the main issue is most feel that we are not being treated fairly when compared to other actions and lack of suspensions in recent history. If other teams players were suspended for similar issues then there would not be anything to say. No controversy end of discussion.

Now for the positives that can come out of this.

No more bitching about Mullen playing the backups during the "preseason". That playing time will prove invaluable now. Now during the last five minutes of an epic beatdown of an SEC opponent is another issue. I believe the lesson was learned.

It can bring the team closer together by creating an "us against the world" environment.

It got our team some extra publicity. There is no such thing as bad publicity. Everyone knew who Nick Fairley was and what he did but that didn't stop Auburn. More mentions in the news, no matter what the reason will help the team in the polls as less people will "forget" to put us on the ballot.

Speaking of Auburn, DD gets to punish more Tigers in his first game back. You can bet he will be one hungry dawg.

Those are my thoughts on the matter and I believe most would be in agreement that the suspension is not the issue but rather having the "rules" enforced fairly is. And yes we have a right to be upset about that but we will suck it up and deliver more beat downs even if it has to be done shorthanded because that is the Mississippi State way!!

IMissJack
09-24-2014, 06:04 PM
It's on the local sports station here in Houston, and PTI on ESPN just said he should be off the team.

blacklistedbully
09-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Ludicrous. The "past history" is being considered a "difference-maker", yet it was a TEAM SUSPENSION, not an SEC or NCAA suspension. This is not a guy who has had ANY past suspension or warning from the SEC or NCAA.

IMO, those are the only ones that should count. What we do ourselves is off-the-record.

ShotgunDawg
09-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the age of twitter folks. When the media snowball gets started by people who don't think for themselves, it's very difficult to stop

blacklistedbully
09-24-2014, 06:52 PM
We should let Les Miles know we are going to carefully watch every LSU game we can from here on out, and report EVERY POSSIBLE THING we see to the SEC & NCAA. Same goes for TSUN fans who have driven the propaganda movement on this one.

aerodawg
09-24-2014, 06:57 PM
One is where an LSU player #4 kicks a MSU player #15 who is down in the pile after a play.

I have seen this mentioned a few times. This is not accurate at all. Check out the skycam view on ESPN3 at about the 3 hour 56 minute mark. The player just jerked his body and clapped from being excited that he made the play (I repeat, he did not kick Dak or make contact with him). Now number 52 did try to remove Dak's helmet on that play to presumably get him off the field for the next play.

War Machine Dawg
09-24-2014, 07:18 PM

This. For some reason Matich hates MSU with the fire of 1,000 suns. He never has anything good to say about us. Not to mention he's a complete buffoon.

BulldogDX55
09-24-2014, 07:42 PM
That Trevor Matich guy, shockingly, is a giant hypocrite: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/09/22/redskins-lineman-chris-baker-got-ejected-but-trevor-matich-still-named-him-lineman-of-the-game/

TheDogFather
09-24-2014, 08:25 PM
I agree, they absolutely should. But you know damn well our administration would never do something like that, and I have no idea why. It's like they are content with such decisions. Saying crap like that is just taking things way too far. There's jokes and then there's just being an asshole.

Yeah. Let's smear our admin in response.

Coach34
09-24-2014, 08:42 PM

uhhhh what?

MarketingBully01
09-24-2014, 08:45 PM

After going through the game again, I would have to say it's football. There's really nothing malicious at all about anything Day does. Who was that original SDS guy who put that shit on the internet? What was his agenda? That's what sucks. That asshole is what started this. He doctored the tape and it started this witch hunt. I agree with Coach Mullen. There was nothing wrong with those plays. The announcers didn't even make a big deal of this at all. Neither did the refs. This is just bullshit from social media. If this existed in the 90s, nothing would have been done whatsoever. It's just rediculous.

MarketingBully01
09-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Also for those thinking this will have an effect on A&M, it won't. I think because of this suspension we will come out with a massive chip on our shoulder and I think we beat them by 14-21+. Arkansas is going to beat them up this week just from their style. Also for those afraid of A&M because of their passing game, they mainly use the short to intermediate passing game and have their WRs run after the catch. To beat A&M you pressure and tackle well, those are things our defense does well. My prediction is MSU 38 A&M 17.

hells bells
09-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Finebaum didn't say this

Finebaum wet is a 120 lb tampon. His claim to fame is telling all is listeners what it feels like to have Saban's balls bounce off his chin.

War Machine Dawg
09-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Addendum: Day should look into filing a defamation suit against Matich for that bullshit. Time to hold these "journalists" accountable for the shit they spew. You don't accuse a guy of criminal actions on the field unless you've got proof to back it up.

BulldogBear
09-25-2014, 09:02 AM
uhhhh what?

I'm saying I cannot recall any time he has not blown us off no matter what it was nor jumped on us whenever there was anything negative to fan the flames of. I do not know why the dude can't stand us. If we lose to A&M he will be one of the first in line to discount our whole season and call the LSU win fluke.

evan_aggie
09-25-2014, 03:11 PM
I agree the media will blow everything out of proportion. However, your boy Dillon is the next Richie Incognito. A great player who is a bit of a headcase and will absolutely test the limits of playing dirty. Anyone saw him step on those players and argue that it wasn't intentional is crazy. By the way... is the drive from Jackson 2hr 15 or 2hr?

TUSK
09-25-2014, 03:14 PM
I agree the media will blow everything out of proportion. However, your boy Dillon is the next Richie Incognito. A great player who is a bit of a headcase and will absolutely test the limits of playing dirty. Anyone saw him step on those players and argue that it wasn't intentional is crazy. By the way... is the drive from Jackson 2hr 15 or 2hr?

damn, only 2 post??? nice run... nice knowin' ya....

INCOMING!

TheRef
09-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Depends on which part of Jackson you're driving from and the rout you take. South Jackson you can take 25 and be in Stark in about 2 hours. Take I-55 and it's closer to 2.5 hours.

LC Dawg
09-25-2014, 03:32 PM

From Jackson take I-55 South and when you get to Manchac take a hard right.