PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone post a list of SEC suspensions over the last five years?

drunkernhelldawg
09-24-2014, 12:34 PM
I can't think of a suspension, based on unclear evidence, that affects competition to the extent that this one could. What are the precedents?

RougeDawg
09-24-2014, 12:44 PM
I can't think of a suspension, based on unclear evidence, that affects competition to the extent that this one could. What are the precedents?

The list just started yesterday. The precedent was set when we turned in auburn before signing day and the sec basically told MSU to STFU and know your place in SEC football. That's all that's been done.

starkvegasdawg
09-24-2014, 12:47 PM
List of SEC office mandated suspensions from 2009 to present
1. Dillon Day

Hypnodawg
09-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Is that a guess or confirmed?

starkvegasdawg
09-24-2014, 01:41 PM
I stand corrected. Back in 2012 the SEC suspended USCe player DJ Swearinger for a head to head hit against UAB. So far he has been the only other one I can find.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-24-2014, 01:44 PM
I stand corrected. Back in 2012 the SEC suspended USCe player DJ Swearinger for a head to head hit against UAB. So far he has been the only other one I can find.

I think they suspended an Ole Miss DB for the same thing.

starkvegasdawg
09-24-2014, 01:54 PM
I think they suspended an Ole Miss DB for the same thing.

Trae Elston, you are correct.

So, after we have all put our heads together we have now come up with two other people that we can remember got a league office suspension. But then ask yourself, what do all of these teams have in common? The answer is none were perceived as legitimate national title contenders so they were expendable. Contrast that to the list of players from Alabama, Auburn, and LSU that have done just as bad or worse during this time frame that Slive never even looked at twice.

Covercorner2
09-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Both of those instances either involved flags/penalties and/or rules that existed to mandate suspension

Political Hack
09-24-2014, 02:00 PM
anyone else ever been suspended without even committing a penalty?

DancingRabbit
09-24-2014, 02:24 PM
List of SEC office mandated suspensions from 2009 to present
1. Dillon Day
2. John Cohen

Tdawg
09-24-2014, 04:23 PM

Thing is--those suspensions back in 2012 were a kneejerk reaction, in the immediate 2 weeks following a player being paralyzed, and have NOT continued until this. That's the thing that bothers me about this. I think Dillon SHOULD have been suspended--I didn't WANT him suspended, but it was justified IMO. However, the examples given in the MWN article make it very suspicious the way the SEC doles out these punishments. And for the record, the Ole Miss suspension involved a play that was NOT penalized as well. Ole Miss people should be as pissed about this suspension as we are--not because it wasn't deserved, but because it gives the appearance of favortism from the SEC office.

DancingRabbit
09-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Thing is--those suspensions back in 2012 were a kneejerk reaction, in the immediate 2 weeks following a player being paralyzed, and have NOT continued until this. That's the thing that bothers me about this. I think Dillon SHOULD have been suspended--I didn't WANT him suspended, but it was justified IMO. However, the examples given in the MWN article make it very suspicious the way the SEC doles out these punishments. And for the record, the Ole Miss suspension involved a play that was NOT penalized as well. Ole Miss people should be as pissed about this suspension as we are--not because it wasn't deserved, but because it gives the appearance of favortism from the SEC office.

That's some weird logic, to say the least. You dismiss the Swearinger's and Trae Elston's suspensions as "knee-jerk" and point out no similar suspensions since. Forgetting the massive amount of research results about head injuries that should be a concern.

But there's nothing "knee-jerk" about suspending Day after a doctored video goes viral and Les Miles whines (who didn't see his player try to break Dak's neck). I haven't ever heard of research indicating a rash of "stepped-on tummy" injuries.

This is an UNPRECEDENTED penalty.

Percho
09-24-2014, 05:14 PM
http://djournal.com/sports/college/mississippi-state/msus-hughes-suspended-for-flagrant-hit/

Tdawg
09-24-2014, 06:37 PM
That's some weird logic, to say the least. You dismiss the Swearinger's and Trae Elston's suspensions as "knee-jerk" and point out no similar suspensions since. Forgetting the massive amount of research results about head injuries that should be a concern.

But there's nothing "knee-jerk" about suspending Day after a doctored video goes viral and Les Miles whines (who didn't see his player try to break Dak's neck). I haven't ever heard of research indicating a rash of "stepped-on tummy" injuries.

This is an UNPRECEDENTED penalty.

Probably didn't word it well--point was/is, this is the first suspension of this type since more than 2 years ago when the SEC office decided it was going to send a message in the immediate aftermath of a tragic injury. One consideration, however, is that ejections have now been incorporated for the type hits that got Swearinger and Elston suspended so this is really the first SEC suspension for 'dirty play' in a LONG time