PDA

View Full Version : Mullen: Lesson Learned

TXDawg
09-23-2014, 10:35 PM
From Mullen's press conference today:

Q: What would you have done differently at the end at LSU?

Mullen: I would have done an awful lot differently. It was really a unique situation, we were driving and get the ball down in the red zone. First-and-10 around the 12, 15, where it was exactly. And they had two players go down on the play. I don?t think it was anything serious but they helped them off the field. Instantly I?m looking. We?re ahead three scores, we?ve got the ball, there?s three-and-a-half, four some minutes left in the game and their two guys just limped off the field.

At that point I?m whoa, get all our 2s in the game. And that was probably a mistake, I learned that. Especially there on the road and in that environment against that talented a team, obviously the game was not out of reach at that point and I should have left our ones in. And if we finish off or score on that drive then the game probably is out of reach at that point; and then rotate everybody in. And after their first score I kept leaving our backups in the game and I probably should have put our starters back in.?

I think he learned his lesson and I'm glad it was a free lesson and didn't cost us a win. As others have said earlier, I don't think he'll be showing much more mercy...ever!

Todd4State
09-23-2014, 10:41 PM
We sometimes forget that we are Dan's first head coaching job. And that means he has to learn some lessons on a bigger stage than he would in the Sun Belt.

preachermatt83
09-23-2014, 11:14 PM
I told someone just today that I understood exactly what Dan was doing. First off, as Todd said, sometimes we need to remember that there are a lot of things that are Firsts for Dan Mullen. Most importantly regarding the end of game situation Saturday... Dan had never been in that spot as a head coach. On the road, up big in a hostile environment. He learned a lesson and we still won. Dan truly cares for all of his players and I believe in his mind the game was pretty much out of reach and he wanted his players who had worked hard to all get to experience that game and situation as a player. Even though it like to have come back to bite him, one thing is for sure... those kids that got to play will NEVER forget that night in Death Valley. And for that I say I am proud of Coach Mullen.

maroonmania
09-23-2014, 11:22 PM
I told someone just today that I understood exactly what Dan was doing. First off, as Todd said, sometimes we need to remember that there are a lot of things that are Firsts for Dan Mullen. Most importantly regarding the end of game situation Saturday... Dan had never been in that spot as a head coach. On the road, up big in a hostile environment. He learned a lesson and we still won. Dan truly cares for all of his players and I believe in his mind the game was pretty much out of reach and he wanted his players who had worked hard to all get to experience that game and situation as a player. Even though it like to have come back to bite him, one thing is for sure... those kids that got to play will NEVER forget that night in Death Valley. And for that I say I am proud of Coach Mullen.

Yep, not only is Dan still learning as a HC he obviously didn't fully appreciate the hex LSU has had over us for nearly 25 years. As an analogy when a title contender has the champion on the ropes he can't start slacking off and just expect the judges are going to give him the title by decision, he HAS to have the mentality to KNOCK the champ out and we failed to do that. There is no more dangerous animal than a severely wounded Tiger.

Dawg61
09-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Bet Mullen is pissed as a mofo with Les Miles too. Dan takes it easy on Les and Miles turns around and acts like a spoiled bitch and purposely witch hunts Dillon Day as sacrifice for the crazed coonasses. Mullen is going to shove a 30 point win up Miles ass next year in Starkville and that will be the final straw for the madhatter. He'll get run out of town after next year's beat down we will serve him. Hope that one game suspension for Day was worth it Miles.

War Machine Dawg
09-23-2014, 11:50 PM
He's also learning he's HC of the SEC's Oakland Raiders. Penalties will always go against us that go against no one else, players suspended that no one else would have suspended, and a league-imposed ceiling on the amount of success you're allowed to have. Hope he doesn't get pissed about it and leave.

cheewgumm
09-23-2014, 11:55 PM
Preacher... Agree.

I'm also proud of Mulllen for the same reasons u note. It's doing 2 things ... Getting everyone some experience, and rewarding them.

Also I feel for Muniz. But even that experience will be valuable for him. He also got to screw up, learn and it not cost too much. It happens. That guy will be better now.