PDA

View Full Version : Was the rotation from games 1-3 a big reason for beating LSU?

Dawg61
09-22-2014, 12:25 PM
I think it helped considerably. We looked fresher than LSU and we certainly played more physical football than them. Mullen rotating the 1b offense/defense in the first three games helped us a lot on Saturday imo.

RC3
09-22-2014, 12:28 PM
I cursed about it mainly as it concerned to the offensive skill players. It defiently makes a difference on the defensive front IMO though. Our D line was straight up dominant

HoopsDawg
09-22-2014, 12:28 PM
I think it helped considerably. We looked fresher than LSU and we certainly played more physical football than them. Mullen rotating the 1b offense/defense in the first three games helped us a lot on Saturday imo.

No, but ending the rotation against USA in Game 3 helped. Bringing back the rotation in the 4th almost cost us the game.

HoopsDawg
09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
I cursed about it mainly as it concerned to the offensive skill players. It defiently makes a difference on the defensive front IMO though. Our D line was straight up dominant

You always want to rotate your D-linemen and Richie Brown is too good to keep off the field. It's ok to have some rotation at WR. But everywhere else? Not so much. Regardless, we got that corrected. And hopefully Mullen learned a lesson in the 4th quarter that he already should have known.

MadDawg
09-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Rotating the defense, especially the D line, has helped us immensely. The offensive rotations, however, have been pretty offensive.

mic
09-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Getting to play all the players and young guys up to this point and being 4-0 is win / win situation .. And if anyone disagrees with this is 100% wrong...

SapperDawg
09-22-2014, 12:40 PM
I loved seeing their D-Linemen doing the dying cockroach after damn near every play during the first half of Q4. They were punished physically, and were mentally wasted.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Well, I think we will see the benefit of the rotations next season.

Dawg61
09-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Rotating the defense, especially the D line, has helped us immensely. The offensive rotations, however, have been pretty offensive.

JRob looked pretty fresh racking up 190 yards so did Dak racking up over 100 yards rushing himself. Do they look that fresh without the game 1-3 rotations? Doubt it.

dawgs
09-22-2014, 01:01 PM
JRob looked pretty fresh racking up 190 yards so did Dak racking up over 100 yards rushing himself. Do they look that fresh without the game 1-3 rotations? Doubt it.

I think most of us are all about rotating guys in, it's just rotating in the ENTIRE 2nd string at a time instead of subbing in 1-3 guys at a time in a set rotation didn't make sense. Send out 1 back up OL and shumpert in for robinson for a drive, don't do an entire swap of guys until the game is completely and utterly out of control. If injuries happen, the backups will be playing with largely 1st string guys anyway, not a whole team of 2nd stringers.

Dawg61
09-22-2014, 01:09 PM
I think most of us are all about rotating guys in, it's just rotating in the ENTIRE 2nd string at a time instead of subbing in 1-3 guys at a time in a set rotation didn't make sense. Send out 1 back up OL and shumpert in for robinson for a drive, don't do an entire swap of guys until the game is completely and utterly out of control. If injuries happen, the backups will be playing with largely 1st string guys anyway, not a whole team of 2nd stringers.

Purpose of the rotation for the easy games is to keep all the starters fresh for the tough games. When you rotate them all you keep all of them at the same amount of rest. Plus it's just easier to ensure they get their rest this way. Take them out super early and you guarantee that they will be rested for LSU. Force the team to step up and get it done on top of being rewarded later with extra rest. The constant rotating was and is smart imo. Mullen deserves more kudos here than he's getting for having the balls to stick to his plan even when a whole bunch of you were crying like little girls about it. You sure loved having JRob and Dak running wild on Saturday and our defense beating the piss out of LSU. Understand that doesn't happen without rested 1's.

MadDawg
09-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Purpose of the rotation for the easy games is to keep all the starters fresh for the tough games. When you rotate them all you keep all of them at the same amount of rest. Plus it's just easier to ensure they get their rest this way. Take them out super early and you guarantee that they will be rested for LSU. Force the team to step up and get it done on top of being rewarded later with extra rest. The constant rotating was and is smart imo. Mullen deserves more kudos here than he's getting for having the balls to stick to his plan even when a whole bunch of you were crying like little girls about it. You sure loved having JRob and Dak running wild on Saturday and our defense beating the piss out of LSU. Understand that doesn't happen without rested 1's.

My comment about the offensive subbing has to do with our 2nd string center and line being out there when we thought the game was over, and it turns out it wasn't. If the purpose of subbing the 1st string offense in early games was to make sure they weren't too tired to play in the 4th game of the year, then I guess it worked, although that's pretty troubling. But if the purpose of playing the 2nd string offense so much was so that we wouldn't completely go backwards when we put them in a real game situation, then I give them a grade of F-.

Dawg61
09-22-2014, 01:24 PM
My comment about the offensive subbing has to do with our 2nd string center and line being out there when we thought the game was over, and it turns out it wasn't. If the purpose of subbing the 1st string offense in early games was to make sure they weren't too tired to play in the 4th game of the year, then I guess it worked, although that's pretty troubling. But if the purpose of playing the 2nd string offense so much was so that we wouldn't completely go backwards when we put them in a real game situation, then I give them a grade of F-.

The backup center snapped the ball way too high. That's all that happened. Do you need some time to process that? One man made one bad mistake. Not 10 men making 10 mistakes.

MadDawg
09-22-2014, 01:45 PM
The backup center snapped the ball way too high. That's all that happened. Do you need some time to process that? One man made one bad mistake. Not 10 men making 10 mistakes.

It was pointed out to me this morning that when we went for it on 4th and goal late in the game (had no problem with that call) our entire 2nd string line was in the game. That might not have been the best time for that either.

Dawg496
09-22-2014, 02:09 PM
It was pointed out to me this morning that when we went for it on 4th and goal late in the game (had no problem with that call) our entire 2nd string line was in the game. That might not have been the best time for that either.

Not to mention Nick Griffin was the ball carrier. We were on their 4 yard line. If we score there, LSU maybe doesn't even try anything since it would have been 41-16 at that point.

Dawg61
09-22-2014, 03:01 PM

Definitely was disappointed in that series. Mullen has gotten stuffed twice on the goal line now. He needs to add in a pass or jump ass or bootleg with Dak or something.

dawgs
09-22-2014, 03:31 PM

Not that difficult to set up a rotation of 2-3 guys to subbing in each drive and still having the starters play roughly the same number of snaps until the game is a blowout, then sub in the whole 2nd team.