PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
05-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Have won 8 straight now. They have a 5.5 game lead over the Nats and 6.5 over phillies. If we can find a reliever or 2, I really like our chances of winning this division

Todd4State
05-25-2013, 10:05 PM
The Braves will be streaky all year because they have so many guys that strike out a lot. I don't think you have to worry too much unless the Nationals make a major impact trade for another big time starting pitcher like Felix Hernandez or get another impact bat like a Carlos Gonzalez. I'm not looking for that to happen.

msstate7
05-25-2013, 10:07 PM
The Braves will be streaky all year because they have so many guys that strike out a lot. I don't think you have to worry too much unless the Nationals make a major impact trade for another big time starting pitcher like Felix Hernandez or get another impact bat like a Carlos Gonzalez. I'm not looking for that to happen.

I hope you're right. Speaking of adding a big time starting pitcher, beachy will be back soon...

War Machine Dawg
05-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Our bullpen should be fine. Walden is close to being back. Don't know about Cristhian Martinez, but he'll give a boost whenever he comes back, too. Rasmus has a lot of upside, so maybe he can provide some help. Plus we always have the option of moving Teheran or Medlen out there when Beachy comes back. We might need to trade for 1 reliever, but overall I'm not worried about the bullpen yet. We've still got plenty of arms and options out there.

Nice to see this team showing some balls on the road for a change, too. Wish I could've watched tonight. But I was stuck with the Cards-Dodgers on "big Fox" in my area. Did BJ continue his shitastic slump tonight? It's past time let Schafer take a very healthy portion of his starts.

msstate7
05-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Our bullpen should be fine. Walden is close to being back. Don't know about Cristhian Martinez, but he'll give a boost whenever he comes back, too. Rasmus has a lot of upside, so maybe he can provide some help. Plus we always have the option of moving Teheran or Medlen out there when Beachy comes back. We might need to trade for 1 reliever, but overall I'm not worried about the bullpen yet. We've still got plenty of arms and options out there.

Nice to see this team showing some balls on the road for a change, too. Wish I could've watched tonight. But I was stuck with the Cards-Dodgers on "big Fox" in my area. Did BJ continue his shitastic slump tonight? It's past time let Schafer take a very healthy portion of his starts.

Heyward started in cf with jupton in right and gattis in left. Mike minor provided a 2-run blast into the wind tonight. Minor is our ace

War Machine Dawg
05-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Heyward started in cf with jupton in right and gattis in left. Mike minor provided a 2-run blast into the wind tonight. Minor is our ace

Huddy disagrees. But there's no doubt Minor is much improved since last year's ASB. He finally looks like the guy we thought we were drafting. I'm damn excited about how well he's pitched. We've needed a solid lefty for a while. And best of all, Gilmartin is waiting in the wings. Who knows, we may see him out of the pen some if we need a little more help.

And J-Hey in CF? Wow. I know he can play it, but never thought we'd see it. I really don't know what we're going to do with Gattis when we start getting these bullpen guys & Beachy back. He's too good to send down, but we don't have room for him b/c of management's man-crush on Laird. I'm hoping BJ comes up "injured."

msstate7
05-25-2013, 10:26 PM
I hope the talk about laird is just to give us more leverage in a trade. Wren does some dumb things do he may keep laird, but I really hope we move him. If we send gattis down to catch everyday, I think that's a sign McCann won't be back next season.

War Machine Dawg
05-25-2013, 10:40 PM
As I've said before, I'd at least listen to offers for Mac. I know he's not 30 yet, but he's got a lot of tread on the tires. I think now would be the perfect time to sell high on him. He's my favorite current Brave, so I'd hate to see him go. But it might also be the right move for the franchise to avoid losing him without getting anything in return.

Todd4State
05-25-2013, 10:46 PM
I would think the Braves are keeping Laird because they might want to move Gattis to another position possibly? You're better with McCann and Gattis in the lineup healthy at the same time if possible. The thing is, if you have Gattis and McCann both in the game at the same time and say for some reason Gattis gets pinch hit for and then McCann gets hurt in the same game, you are SOL for that game. I know that's a straw man argument, but my point is if you are a MLB team you can't carry only two catchers if one if them is basically a guy that plays another position a good bit. It's just too risky.

The other option would be to platoon Gattis and McCann. If it were me, I'd much rather have Gattis getting more at bats playing him at another position at least some of the time than have him sitting out half the games.