PDA

View Full Version : SEC Tournament perspective

Todd4State
05-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Did I mention that I hate the SEC Tournament? It has too many teams, and it lasts too many days and on top of that the format sucks. OK, now on Saturday they are all of a sudden going to worry about starting pitching with a single elimination game? LOL. Maybe I could have tolerated it better at Autozone Park while eating Rondezvous ribs and Dyer's hamburgers.

Because of what we at MSU did last year, the committee is supposed to take postseason conference tournaments into consideration more. Mizzou was a trap game for us, and had we lost that game, we may not have hosted. We took care of business there. Then we played South Carolina again and separated ourselves from them completely by beating them again which means that we are solidly the third SEC team and then we beat a decent Texas A&M team. We put ourselves in a position to possibly get a national seed and we just couldn't quite pull it off. But we at the very least solidified ourselves as a regional host.

One of these damn years, the injury bug is going to leave and we are actually going to have a team at full strength as it was intended and then we are going to play up to our full potential. We simply are not at Vandy's level quite yet- but they are the number one or two team in the country. That's a long way from where we started out at five years ago. And we are a lot closer to them with a true ace on our staff.

War Machine Dawg
05-25-2013, 10:03 PM
It would also help if Hoover had dimensions that fit the shitastic new bats in college baseball. Has anyone hit a HR yet? And if so, I'm betting it was right down one of the lines. I don't think you can hit a ball much better than the one Rea hit with the bases juiced.....and it turned into a can of corn that didn't even make it to the warning track. Ridiculous. I lost count of how many times Jim said this week: "And that's a ball that's out of a lot of parks in this league."

We've definitely got to upgrade our rotation. We need more power swing-and-miss type starters. I know those guys don't grow on trees and most go in the Draft straight out of HS. But if we really want to make a serious run at a title then we've got to find a way to get a few of those guys, like LSU and Vandy have. Hell, our closer only tops out at about 92-94.

I also think it's time to re-shuffle the rotation aGAIN. Yank Lindy, start Fitts. I love Pollo as much as anyone, but I'd consider starting Cox instead of him. As I've said a million times lately, Pollo is much more valuable out of the bullpen than starting.