PDA

View Full Version : Starting pitching in the regional

msstate7
05-25-2013, 09:12 PM
What you guys think? Does pollo start game 1? Does lindgren start a game? Perhaps lindgren should start game 1 against a swac like team

mparkerfd20
05-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Time to flip the rotation again. Lindgren in an extremely short leash against 4 seed, then Pollo/Fitts against 2, and Gravemen

msstate7
05-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Time to flip the rotation again. Lindgren in an extremely short leash against 4 seed, then Pollo/Fitts against 2, and Gravemen
I'd flip pollo/fitts with graveman for game 2. Game 2 is the biggest game if we win game 1

Todd4State
05-25-2013, 09:22 PM
It depends on the match-up, so it's too soon to know. We are likely a one seed, so we are going to be playing someone like Army or Jackson State. If that's the case, I would probably go with Lindgren since he is our least reliable starter right now. And after him, go with Pollo and then Graveman. If it's a dangerous four seed like Lamar- I might go ahead and start Pollo.

It just totally depends on whether we think we can beat the four's ace without using our best guys. That's likely going to be the case.

Todd4State
05-25-2013, 09:24 PM
I'd flip pollo/fitts with graveman for game 2. Game 2 is the biggest game if we win game 1

That decision is largely based on what we do in game one. If we lose game one, we probably start Graveman. If not, it could go either way with Pollo or Graveman.

msstate7
05-25-2013, 09:31 PM
That decision is largely based on what we do in game one. If we lose game one, we probably start Graveman. If not, it could go either way with Pollo or Graveman.

Really hope we get a swac like #4. Don't wanna see a legitimate ace in game 1

War Machine Dawg
05-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Personally, I go with anyone but Lindgren and Wild Thing. Neither one should see the light of day the rest of the season, except in a blowout situation - win or loss.

I definitely save Graveman for game 2, though. It's either an elimination game or a pass straight to the regional championship. Either way, it's our most important game, so I want my best starter out there for it. I say either Pollo & Fitts for games 1 & 3, however you want to make that work.

Todd4State
05-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Personally, I go with anyone but Lindgren and Wild Thing. Neither one should see the light of day the rest of the season, except in a blowout situation - win or loss.

I definitely save Graveman for game 2, though. It's either an elimination game or a pass straight to the regional championship. Either way, it's our most important game, so I want my best starter out there for it. I say either Pollo & Fitts for games 1 & 3, however you want to make that work.

I'm not too down on Lindgren. He sucks against Vanderbilt- but he has pitched much better against pretty much everyone else even with his struggles and he was very good against non-conference teams early in the year. His SEC experience is going to pay off for us in the regional because after facing SEC hitters all spring, seeing SWAC hitters is going to be easy.

War Machine Dawg
05-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Lindgren is a head case in the vein of Mitchell. One thing goes wrong and he implodes. I bet he leads the team in 1-2 inning outings. Look at today: Frazier gets an E6, blown call on the pickoff. No biggie, right? Wrong. Lindgren plunks the guy at the plate, then proceeds to miss every target Ammo gave him. Never records an out and gives up 6 runs. Sure, it was Vandy. But it's not like they're the only team he's pulled this shit against, especially lately. He's been bad for at least a month. Exile him to Siberia already.

Coach34
05-25-2013, 10:58 PM
I could read Lindgren's body language out there- it got tough and he folded. No way I start him in Game 1

I go with Fitts or Gentry then bullpen in game 1...Graveman Game 2...Pollo Game 3

msstate7
05-25-2013, 11:00 PM
I could read Lindgren's body language out there- it got tough and he folded. No way I start him in Game 1

I go with Cox and bullpen in game 1...Graveman Game 2...Pollo Game 3

Lindgren was hell out of the bullpen last year. Perhaps we should move him back.

Todd4State
05-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Lindgren is a head case in the vein of Mitchell. One thing goes wrong and he implodes. I bet he leads the team in 1-2 inning outings. Look at today: Frazier gets an E6, blown call on the pickoff. No biggie, right? Wrong. Lindgren plunks the guy at the plate, then proceeds to miss every target Ammo gave him. Never records an out and gives up 6 runs. Sure, it was Vandy. But it's not like they're the only team he's pulled this shit against, especially lately. He's been bad for at least a month. Exile him to Siberia already.

At least Lindgren can throw a strike. No doubt he needs to learn to let mistakes go and then go get the next hitter. I just think he needs an easy opponent to get him back on track because he doesn't get that opportunity in the SEC. I guarantee you that they don't see 92-93 MPH gas in the SWAC very often. He will look like Roger Clemens to them.

msstate7
05-26-2013, 12:24 AM
At least Lindgren can throw a strike. No doubt he needs to learn to let mistakes go and then go get the next hitter. I just think he needs an easy opponent to get him back on track because he doesn't get that opportunity in the SEC. I guarantee you that they don't see 92-93 MPH gas in the SWAC very often. He will look like Roger Clemens to them.

Please don't let us get usm as a 4 seed. Saw one projection with usm #4, Miami #3, and south Alabama #2. I don't want that regional

Lefthandersrule
05-26-2013, 12:53 AM

Your a jack a$$. Maybe we should exile the whole staff to Siberia and let your sorry a$$ go out there compete.

Coach34
05-26-2013, 12:58 AM
Please don't let us get usm as a 4 seed. Saw one projection with usm #4, Miami #3, and south Alabama #2. I don't want that regional

It's unlikely we get Jackson State as the 4-seed. Because LSU is going to be in the top 3 seeds- I think they get sent there

We need to let Fitts and Gentry take down the #4 seed

CadaverDawg
05-26-2013, 01:01 AM
I'm 100% in agreement with Todd on this one...

It will all depend on matchups. Personally, I think if we face a SWAC type 4 seed...we either start Fitts or Lindgren. I am tempted to say Lindgren since Fitts has been better lately. Maybe Lindgren could go 7 innings or so vs a JSU so we don't get into our pen too much.

Then you go with Graveman against the 2 seed, and then Pollo and pen to close it out. If we started Lindgren game 1, we would also have Fitts there for long relief in any of the other games, OR if we were to slip up and lose a game he could be our 4th starter. And I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have Fitts in a Game 4 must win right now, than Lindgren.

If we have a decent 4 seed to play in game 1, I think you definitely throw Pollo...or at the very most, Fitts. You can't screw around and lose to the 4 or you're toast.

CadaverDawg
05-26-2013, 01:04 AM
It's unlikely we get Jackson State as the 4-seed. Because LSU is going to be in the top 3 seeds- I think they get sent there

We need to let Fitts and Gentry take down the #4 seed

By the way, we need to root for USM to lose tomorrow. Why? Because if they steal a bid, they will likely be in our Regional as a 3 seed. Nobody wants a 3 seed that won their conference....and they have 2 pretty solid starting pitchers. If USM loses, then we likely get a much weaker 3 seed based on the projections I've seen.

Again, I'm not saying USM could beat us, but they have more talent and potential than most 3 seeds. However, it would be great if South Alabama or whoever the 2 seed is, had to battle it out with USM and use up some pitching.

Todd4State
05-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Your a jack a$$. Maybe we should exile the whole staff to Siberia and let your sorry a$$ go out there compete.

Well, that escalated quickly.

I know that you know Lindgren personally though.

Todd4State
05-26-2013, 01:27 AM
By the way, we need to root for USM to lose tomorrow. Why? Because if they steal a bid, they will likely be in our Regional as a 3 seed. Nobody wants a 3 seed that won their conference....and they have 2 pretty solid starting pitchers. If USM loses, then we likely get a much weaker 3 seed based on the projections I've seen.

Again, I'm not saying USM could beat us, but they have more talent and potential than most 3 seeds. However, it would be great if South Alabama or whoever the 2 seed is, had to battle it out with USM and use up some pitching.

Pollo owns USM. If they are the three, even more reason to save him. USM has Andrew Pierce who is very good, but they will likely have to use him against the two seed.

Todd4State
05-26-2013, 01:31 AM

USM is going to have to beat Rice basically on the road. If they don't win, I think they are pretty much toast.

The Croom Diaries
05-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Instead of asking who starts in Game 1, maybe the question should be who do we use out of the bullpen in game 1.

Basically all we can hope for from the starters of late is dont blow the game in the first 4-5 innings until we can get our bullpen in there.

I'd stick with the rotation as it is. Start Pollo in Game 1. Even if it is a Swac like team, I don't want to mess around. There were a few games in March Woodruff started we had to fight to win vs those type teams.

Winning the first two is obviously the most important. Even if Lindgren pitched game 3 and didn't have it again we've still got Ross and others to go the distance.

Todd4State
05-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Instead of asking who starts in Game 1, maybe the question should be who do we use out of the bullpen in game 1.

Basically all we can hope for from the starters of late is dont blow the game in the first 4-5 innings until we can get our bullpen in there.

I'd stick with the rotation as it is. Start Pollo in Game 1. Even if it is a Swac like team, I don't want to mess around. There were a few games in March Woodruff started we had to fight to win vs those type teams.

Winning the first two is obviously the most important. Even if Lindgren pitched game 3 and didn't have it again we've still got Ross and others to go the distance.

We were able to beat SWAC teams with a pitcher with a broken arm. That's all you really need to know about SWAC baseball. If we threw Evan Mitchell whom I do not trust at all, it still wouldn't be a bad decision in my book. Pollorena is one of our better pitchers relatively speaking as far as our rotation goes. There's just no need to waste him. He could very easily give us 5-6 quality innings against a 2-3 seed, and if USM is in our regional and we play them, you know we're going to throw him.

Goat Holder
05-26-2013, 10:06 AM
This is easy. Same rotation as always. Pollo then Graveman, like others have said. Unless we get an EXTREMELY good break on a #4 seed like Jackson State. But Graveman is our ace and he goes second no matter the situation.

What I really hope happens is that we can get through Games 1 and 2 without using Ross Mitchell. One can only dream.

msstate7
05-26-2013, 10:11 AM
This is easy. Same rotation as always. Pollo then Graveman, like others have said. Unless we get an EXTREMELY good break on a #4 seed like Jackson State. But Graveman is our ace and he goes second no matter the situation.

What I really hope happens is that we can get through Games 1 and 2 without using Ross Mitchell. One can only dream.

If we do, you thinking we should start him game 3?

The Croom Diaries
05-26-2013, 10:24 AM
We were able to beat SWAC teams with a pitcher with a broken arm. That's all you really need to know about SWAC baseball. If we threw Evan Mitchell whom I do not trust at all, it still wouldn't be a bad decision in my book. Pollorena is one of our better pitchers relatively speaking as far as our rotation goes. There's just no need to waste him. He could very easily give us 5-6 quality innings against a 2-3 seed, and if USM is in our regional and we play them, you know we're going to throw him.

Just going off memory, but didn't we only beat Alcorn State 6-5 and need Holder to close it out?

Lindgren has been about as bad as Woodruff was lately. If you aren't being effective you can give up runs. I would hate to even get into a 2-0 hole against a low-level team. If we get into the 3rd, 4th inning and are down 2-0 or 3-0 and start pressing then we could end up with an embarrassing L. Sure, that's likely not to happen, but I don't want to take the chance.

I'd rather start Pollo in game 1 vs whoever, and he should give us 5-7 good innings and we'll win plus save the bullpen.

Our greatest asset is the bullpen, not Pollo or Graveman (unless he churns out one of those complete games). I'd rather throw a pitcher to start the Regional who can log some innings and know we'll have Girodo, Ross, Bracewell and Holder fresh for Games 2 and 3.

Todd4State
05-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Just going off memory, but didn't we only beat Alcorn State 6-5 and need Holder to close it out?

Lindgren has been about as bad as Woodruff was lately. If you aren't being effective you can give up runs. I would hate to even get into a 2-0 hole against a low-level team. If we get into the 3rd, 4th inning and are down 2-0 or 3-0 and start pressing then we could end up with an embarrassing L. Sure, that's likely not to happen, but I don't want to take the chance.

I'd rather start Pollo in game 1 vs whoever, and he should give us 5-7 good innings and we'll win plus save the bullpen.

Our greatest asset is the bullpen, not Pollo or Graveman (unless he churns out one of those complete games). I'd rather throw a pitcher to start the Regional who can log some innings and know we'll have Girodo, Ross, Bracewell and Holder fresh for Games 2 and 3.

Well, it was 7-6, but we started Woodruff and that's who they did most of their damage against. And after spotting them a five run lead, we had the game tied by the fourth inning. They made it 7-6 by the eigth inning and Cohen didn't want to mess around even though we probaby could have closed it with someone else.

You also have to take into account that the crowd for that game was probably the Candy Man and a few of his friends and the fact that the team probably didn't have 100% focus. If we play a SWAC team in a regional, the team will probably be jacked up and the crowd will be huge.

Goat Holder
05-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Probably not, why change a good thing? Let Lindgren go with a short leash as usual. I'm thinking we can score runs on anybody's #3 guy, so we've got a little wiggle room if Lindgren gives up a few runs.

War Machine Dawg
05-26-2013, 07:57 PM

I see we have a combination Six Packer/Swan Laker on the loose. Jean, come rescue your lost sheep!

Lefthandersrule
05-26-2013, 08:39 PM
I had just left the game and was as mad as anyone, but for other posters to blatantly cuss individual players just got to me. I'm as big a Dog fan as anyone and want them to win every time out but baseball is baseball.

engie
05-26-2013, 09:10 PM
If we get ETSU in game one as is being projected right now, we can't pull ANY punches to win that game. Their ace is the 12-1 nightmare that the committee would love to stick us with that we really don't want to see in game one...

msstate7
05-26-2013, 09:14 PM
If we get ETSU in game one as is being projected right now, we can't pull ANY punches to win that game. Their ace is the 12-1 nightmare that the committee would love to stick us with that we really don't want to see in game one...
That would be just our luck.