PDA

View Full Version : Experience in Death Valley

EdDawg
09-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Anyone who went care to share their experience before, during, and after the game. I'm sure many like myself would like to hear about it. We heard Fitzgerald's experience before the game which was awesome.

GreenheadDawg
09-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Well before the game most fans were nice, only slightly obnoxious but all in good fun. When we went up 14-0 the attitude in the stadium shifted. I had never heard so much bitching and moaning in my life, not even from OM when they start losing. We held on every play, late hits, and we even had their plays, which I thought was funny. They were livid. It was beautiful

IMissJack
09-21-2014, 07:09 PM
I sat in the South end zone (in LSU section) with my son and two LSU fans that invited us. I had no problems at all, got a few Tigah Baits (always expected) but nothing malicious. After the game several around us shook hands and said congratulations. I agree with previous poster they were very negative when they got behind and were really on their own team pretty bad. They are just not used to being put in that position. By the way the chicken and sausage gumbo before the game was excellent.

I seen it dawg
09-21-2014, 07:31 PM
You've never heard 99,000 people so quiet.....

RC3
09-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Great experience, as always. I had some pretty decent seats right in front of our band and players' families. Had no issues with harassment and in fact had some good conversation with the lsu fans around me. Stadium had emptied out pretty much by the time they made their little comeback but it was still loud in there somehow. I couldn't believe that 25k fans they had in there at that point were making that much noise. I gave Megan and dan high fives after the game as well as many of the players. Everyone was ecstatic. One of the best nights of my life. Ms state sports are so important to me, to a fault even. But to be there, after watching us lose to them in person for 14 years straight..... It was special. All I can really do is say thank you to the coaching staff and players. They don't know how happy they made me personally. How proud I am right now to be a damn bulldog. I cried. Literally cried after the game. Second time in my life that I've gotten that emotional at a sporting event. The other was master's grand slam and I was probably 10 years old then.
So proud

HAILSTATE

MaxedOutMaroon
09-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Greatest college game experience for me maybe ever. Baton Rogue and the LSU campus is not the prettiest place, but other than that I had a ball. When we first arrived, an LSU fan invited us over to his tailgate and offered us free red beans and rice and beer. They were super nice. The worst thing I heard was a funny "tiger bait," in which I have no problem with. Everyone I met was super laid back, complementary, and nice. People shook our hands and wished us luck on the year. The stadium atmosphere was a one of a kind. Super loud and fun to be in. Anyone will be negative once their team goes down including us, so it didn't bother me. And to come out with a win was really special! I will go back

RougeDawg
09-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Nice day all around. We got out there around 1 and had some excellent Jambalaya at a tailgate with some people from work. To be in one of the most difficult places to play in college football, and hear it that quiet was pretty amazing. I've been to a good bit of games there and never seen it like that, ever. I've never felt like that at a MSU sporting event in my life, and I can't really describe it. It was a surreal experience that I'm sure most of us there, didn't really know how to react. Still feel somewhat in a fog today. To everyone who came, you did a damn good job staying in the game, being loud, and giving our players the boost they needed to pull that off last night. That was the most energy I've seen our fans put in to an away game. We were drowning out some of their noise and making decent noise on 3rd downs. One of the best experiences of my life, not just sports. Something I will never forget and cherish forever. Been waiting on this day for a long time, and it feels damn good.

sandwolf
09-21-2014, 10:03 PM
I had an excellent experience, and I was honestly shocked at how nice their fans were. Shot the shit with a couple of younger guys at half time who were talking about how much they liked Prescott and even after the game, just after we had intercepted the hail mary, a guy came over and shook our hand and said good game. The food was outstanding and that venue is by far the best that I have seen.

Offshore Dawg
09-22-2014, 06:03 AM
Damn = seems like the new LSU fans are much better at behaving in a civil manner than those of +/- 20 years ago.

DownwardDawg
09-22-2014, 06:30 AM
Damn = seems like the new LSU fans are much better at behaving in a civil manner than those of +/- 20 years ago.

Agree. I went in '91 and vowed to never return. Maybe I'll give it a try again in a couple years.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2014, 06:38 AM
One thing that has helped the experience down there is economics. It weeded out a lot of the trash that was hanging around because said trash could tailgate and harass the shit out of people. Everything has gotten so damn expensive that you have to be really committed to the whole game weekend experience to be down there for the weekend. Takes more money to do it now than before.

Offshore Dawg
09-22-2014, 08:48 AM
One thing that has helped the experience down there is economics. It weeded out a lot of the trash that was hanging around because said trash could tailgate and harass the shit out of people. Everything has gotten so damn expensive that you have to be really committed to the whole game weekend experience to be down there for the weekend. Takes more money to do it now than before.

This^^^the lower class, lower income life forms don't have much money left after buying a carton of cigarettes, a case of cheep beer, and putting gas in the old pickup. I may sound somewhat snobbish but life is this way sometimes.

KennyPowers2
09-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Well I cannot remember my experience very well. The last memory I have is taking two jello shots with a chick from Tupelo while playing corn hole. That was a couple of hours before the game. The next memory I have is Mcdonalds somewhere and My uncle telling me that we won. Apparently I got into two fights but by the feel of my head today I think I lost the second one. I am embarrassed about my drunkedness and vow to stay off of the hard liquor in public from now on or get to the game right before kickoff and skip tailgating. I never made it to the game. My buddy said some nice LSU fans opened up the bed of their truck to me and there I lay for the next 4-5 hrs.

ckDOG
09-22-2014, 09:13 AM
I had a blast. This was my first experience in BR. I was a little apprehensive due to some of the horror stories but didn't get many nasty attitudes. Plenty of "tiger bait" and some clever heckling, but that is all done in jest and good fun. I think I came across three jackasses the entire day and their shit talking was done with their backs turned while walking away.

The game likely wasn't representative of a typical Sat night in Death Valley. It only got rowdy after their fumble return after half. Dak quickly shut them up. Hundreds began leaving mid 3rd quarter and it was one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. I remember thinking, "damn, don't these folks realize they are playing MSU?". Turns out, I was right, but serves the fair weather fans right.

I stuck around to see the team come to the visitor section then left with an excited group of State fans. Waking back to the tailgate (about a block distance from the memorial tower? on the other side of the stadium) was strange. Not a soul to be found except a handful of folks cleaning up tailgate remnants. It felt more like a night on campus during summer session than post game of an SEC matchup. Those folks sure can dish it out, but they are afraid to take it.

Campus was beautiful. I'm partial to live oaks and their style of architecture. I'd say it's the best looking campus in the SEC although they could bump up the landscaping a bit. Saw several spots with a lot of weeds and grass that needed edging.

RC3
09-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Well I cannot remember my experience very well. The last memory I have is taking two jello shots with a chick from Tupelo while playing corn hole. That was a couple of hours before the game. The next memory I have is Mcdonalds somewhere and My uncle telling me that we won. Apparently I got into two fights but by the feel of my head today I think I lost the second one. I am embarrassed about my drunkedness and vow to stay off of the hard liquor in public from now on or get to the game right before kickoff and skip tailgating. I never made it to the game. My buddy said some nice LSU fans opened up the bed of their truck to me and there I lay for the next 4-5 hrs.
Well at least you are living up to your board handle name. I've been there before. Hate you missed this one tho

Dawg496
09-22-2014, 10:19 AM
I was not impressed with Baton Rouge nor the tailgating scene. Tiger Stadium is extremely nice, probably the nicest stadium I've been to. Especially the new endzone - it's all first class.

Didn't get to experience the whole aura of Death Valley at night since we took them out of the game from the first play, but it was loud as hell even in the upper deck after Dak's fumble.

DudyDawg
09-22-2014, 10:31 AM
I was not impressed with Baton Rouge nor the tailgating scene. Tiger Stadium is extremely nice, probably the nicest stadium I've been to. Especially the new endzone - it's all first class.

Didn't get to experience the whole aura of Death Valley at night since we took them out of the game from the first play, but it was loud as hell even in the upper deck after Dak's fumble.

Agree about BR not being what it was cracked up to be as far as fun goes. Stadium is sick tho.

As far as people, they were great. I found myself walking around wondering what I was so nervous about. Some "tigah bait" was all we heard and as long as you smile and keep walking they'll do the same. No biggie.

Park duck
09-22-2014, 11:10 AM
I heard stories this morning of idiots yelling, "Dak, to bad your mama isn't here to watch this" OVER AND OVER AND OVER from the LSU student section.

RC3
09-22-2014, 12:04 PM
The lsu student section is nowhere near the visitor'a bench. Furthermore, I doubt many if any ms state fans were in that section. I just don't know that I believe that. Sorry

Park duck
09-22-2014, 01:23 PM
The lsu student section is nowhere near the visitor'a bench. Furthermore, I doubt many if any ms state fans were in that section. I just don't know that I believe that. Sorry

High School students of mine in sitting in the student section. I teach in La. Those kids are LSU fans and said it was wrong what they were saying. Why would I make that crap up?

LC Dawg
09-22-2014, 10:28 PM
I just remembered something from Saturday night I wanted to share with the board. We got turned around trying to find our car after the game and asked directions from five LSU fans. Three of them said they were from Mississippi and didn't know their way around campus. I kid you not.