PDA

View Full Version : I was there

Todd4State
09-21-2014, 03:18 AM
I've made the trek through Death Valley about six times. Never with a win. Today just felt different going into the stadium, although no one in my group dare say anything of the sort. I now have the elusive win at LSU.

Dak was awesome. I remember a couple of posters on the Internet MB world saying that they had fears about things going to his head. LOL. He's legit. He has "it". The only bad plays I remember were when he threw a ball up for grabs like Derrick Taite and it almost was turned into a pick 6, and then of course the fumble. Of course, he made up for that with his TD run and also with his TD pass to Jameon as the pocket broke down. Both of which occurred after he gave up the fumble.

Robinson should get the ball more. One of the best performances I have ever seen by a MSU running back.

I thought Bear kind of emerged a little bit tonight. And Jameon has a really good game.

We have a very good o-line, and they showed it tonight. They whipped LSU up front.

Our front seven is as good as advertised. Preston Smith and Chris Jones are absolute beasts. Jamerson Love got beat A LOT tonight. We probably should stick with Redmond and Calhoun. Redmond I thought played well, and then they didn't even test Calhoun.

GREAT JOB SPECIAL TEAMS! Devon Bell was really good on KO and punts. And then Sobiesk made both of his field goals, which ultimately were the difference in the game. Graham did well in the return game minus the one time he fair caught a ball on the five.

Now Dan........

This is really weird to say- but I thought it was maybe one of the worst performances by a coach in an upset win. Especially the fourth quarter. I'm OK with messing around against USM, South Alabama, UAB, etc. But #8 LSU on the road after we haven't beaten them in 14 years? REALLY? We had a chance to put them away in the fourth quarter if we had used Robinson on the fourth down on the 5. What do we do? We use Griffen and it doesn't work. I would have been OK with a field goal too if anyone points that out. I guarantee you that Robinson probably gets the first down, and very likely a TD. And then ball game. But no. Let's go with the guy with two blown out knees.

And then what the hell is the back up o-line doing in the game when LSU has three time outs and around 5 minutes of game time left? I mean seriously? Yes, we were up by three scores and imposing our will, but why **** around? So our back-ups can get experience blowing a game on the road to a top 10 team? PUT THEM AWAY!!!!!

And then how does Dan not see this and think- gee, this is a dumb idea? Maybe this is why no one else does this? It's like he's a poor mans Les Miles.

But despite the fact that the game ended up being close, it's still a win at the end of the day, and it's a very big win for us. It's one I'll never forget. Nothing is more satisfying than watching LSU fans run off and go back to man their ferris wheels in the third quarter.

ShotgunDawg
09-21-2014, 06:20 AM
Dan took accountability for it in the post game. My guess is that you'll never see it again.

bulldawg28
09-21-2014, 06:30 AM
Worst performance by winning an upset? Who called all those plays for Dak? Who called those Josh Robinson runs? Who motivated the team and had them razor sharp mentally? Whose ultimately responsible for the team performance?....DAN THE MAN MULLEN. You need to take football 101 over sir. Your instructor forgot to mention rule #1 of football. Everything stays abd ends with coaching. MSU fans are just wow sometimes.

Coach 57
09-21-2014, 07:34 AM
I agree with 28 on this. Even Barrett Sallee tweeted "Dan Mullen is play calling circles around John Chavis". I thought he (as another poster mentioned earlier) learned a valuable lesson in a win. He admitted he messed up by putting in the 2s way too early. If you want lay some blame on him then you've gotta lay some at Collins too. I'm our defensive scheme late we rushed 3 & dropped 8 WAY too much. We are not built for that type of scheme. We got away from what dominated them throughout the entire game which was pressure, pressure, pressure! But Collins' schemes were also why we were dominant. Our coaches will learn from this folly & now we are 1-0 in the SEC (over a top 10 team) and 4-0 into the bye week. When we play aTm it likely will be a top 10 team coming into a too 15 ranked MSU team's packed house!

dawgoneyall
09-21-2014, 08:18 AM
But you just disagreed with 28.

Dawgface
09-21-2014, 08:29 AM
But you just disagreed with 28.
Lol.

Political Hack
09-21-2014, 08:57 AM
we absolutely crushed Chavis. It was beautiful to watch. Even the plays that didn't work (the option to Tubby out of the slot on 3rd down) were brilliant calls. CDM called a masterpiece on offense. no way around it.

State82
09-21-2014, 10:55 AM
If you want lay some blame on him then you've gotta lay some at Collins too

Definitely. Although everything ultimately ends up at the top, and Dan is the 3 million dollar man, you are right that Collins should have just about as much responsibility laid at his feet. I also assume that both are intelligent enough to gather some VERY valuable on-the-job training from the last few minutes last night. I hope. And they can gather it without any harm done to the season.

Behrdawg
09-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Mullen and Collins flat out-coached Miles and crew. Mullen got arrogant with subbing in those guys way too early and nearly cost us the game. He has admitted to it and I doubt we see it again. Guys- remember, this is just one. One big win. We need to learn from it as fans. Let's not go all "Roll Tide suicidal" on people and point fingers. We aren't world beaters, yet. We will lose again, and when we do- we've got to hold it together as a fan base.

gravedigger
09-21-2014, 11:25 AM
No offense intended however:

Until we lose I'm not buying the argument we will this year or need to prepare for it.

And I also don't give a shit how that sounds either.

Behrdawg
09-21-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm not speaking in terms of this year. I'm just speaking in general terms.

Todd4State
09-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Worst performance by winning an upset? Who called all those plays for Dak? Who called those Josh Robinson runs? Who motivated the team and had them razor sharp mentally? Whose ultimately responsible for the team performance?....DAN THE MAN MULLEN. You need to take football 101 over sir. Your instructor forgot to mention rule #1 of football. Everything stays abd ends with coaching. MSU fans are just wow sometimes.

For the first three quarters he was awesome. The fourth quarter- not so much. If we had lost on a last second hail Mary (which LSU has a history of doing), you would definitely agree with me.

Even Dan agrees with me.