PDA

View Full Version : Vandy's lineup

Big4Dawg
05-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Stole from 'Mark M' from 247:

If you look at Vandy's lineup today you will notice that Tyler Beede is in it. Tyler Beede was last night's starting pitcher and can't hit and won't hit. Vandy's DH will hit in that spot.

The media has already reported that Vandy does this to disguise who their DH is, but I thought I would share the real reason for this strategy, and it has nothing to do with disguising who the DH is. Vandy could care less about that.

The strategy was developed by Orioles manager Earl Weaver in the 1960s and 70s and was practiced by the Orioles until MLB outlawed the strategy in the late 70s early 80s.

The strategy makes a lot of sense when you have a right handed and left handed DH option. The strategy is employed to protect against the opposing starting pitcher getting taken out of the game before the DH spot come up in the order.

For example: Vandy has a left and right handed DH and MSU is starting a left handed pitcher. Vandy has every intention of starting their right handed DH. However, if Lindgren doesn't last long enough to get to the DH's spot in the lineup, then MSU could simply bring in a right handed pitcher to match up against him. Vandy would then be forced to either take him out and lose him, or let him hit against a pitcher that isn't a great matchup. By putting Last night's starting pitcher in the lineup, Vandy avoids this circumstance. They will simply "pinch hit" for Beede with the opposite handed hitter of the current pitcher.

Stanford is the only other college team I have seen do this.

Hope this makes sense.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Stole from 'Mark M' from 247:

If you look at Vandy's lineup today you will notice that Tyler Beede is in it. Tyler Beede was last night's starting pitcher and can't hit and won't hit. Vandy's DH will hit in that spot.

The media has already reported that Vandy does this to disguise who their DH is, but I thought I would share the real reason for this strategy, and it has nothing to do with disguising who the DH is. Vandy could care less about that.

The strategy was developed by Orioles manager Earl Weaver in the 1960s and 70s and was practiced by the Orioles until MLB outlawed the strategy in the late 70s early 80s.

The strategy makes a lot of sense when you have a right handed and left handed DH option. The strategy is employed to protect against the opposing starting pitcher getting taken out of the game before the DH spot come up in the order.

For example: Vandy has a left and right handed DH and MSU is starting a left handed pitcher. Vandy has every intention of starting their right handed DH. However, if Lindgren doesn't last long enough to get to the DH's spot in the lineup, then MSU could simply bring in a right handed pitcher to match up against him. Vandy would then be forced to either take him out and lose him, or let him hit against a pitcher that isn't a great matchup. By putting Last night's starting pitcher in the lineup, Vandy avoids this circumstance. They will simply "pinch hit" for Beede with the opposite handed hitter of the current pitcher.

Stanford is the only other college team I have seen do this.

Hope this makes sense.

Makes sense. We should do it too.

FFF
05-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Where is vandy's DH batting in the order? If your DH bats 6-9, it makes more sense than if your DH bats 1-3.

msstate7
05-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Where is vandy's DH batting in the order? If your DH bats 6-9, it makes more sense than if your DH bats 1-3.

Leadoff... Haha