PDA

View Full Version : Confession and question for the board

Bully13
09-19-2014, 08:05 PM
51 yrs old, I've not missed a MSU football game whether it be via radio, t.v. or internet since I was 9 yrs old. God's Honest Truth.

I don't know what changed, but this internet, cable t.v. & social media along with my expansion into living in bigger cities outside MS, or maybe my older age but something has changed over the last few years.

I have found myself recording our important games that make me nervous and keeping up with them on my phone or P.C. while I engage in another activity. If the outcome is to my liking, I hurridly rush to my DVR and watch.

I just don't seem to be able to handle it like I used to. I get nervous and can't watch live. too much for the nerves. All this National media, internet and stuff is so new to me based on what I grew up on.

My best friend these days over the last 12 years is a LSU fan. . (graduate of Lafayette) (go figure) (you know how that goes)

I feel like a long haired cat in a room filled with rocking chairs right now. There is no way I watch this game tomorrow night live. I don't have the emotional capacity to handle it. Unless things go our way early on for a change. Dear God (sports God that is) can I have a little sumpin' sumpin'?)

So go ahead and rip me a new one. Maybe I deserve it. But based on history, much more of me believes we will lose tomorrow than what believes we have a shot at winning.

Forgive me for my age and experience, forgive me for my weakness, but I'm just wondering if there are any other MSU fans that are WAY to emotionallly wrapped in this season as I am..

I've been waiting for maybe way too long. . Who knows..

Mutt the Hoople
09-19-2014, 08:13 PM
It's only a game. One hundred years from now, we'll all be moldering rotted corpses, and our souls will have to answer to God for everything we do in our lives....I seriously doubt The Lord will ask us how well Mississippi State did in 2014 against LSU. However, if He WERE to ask, it'll probably show that Dak and Company kicked their every-loving-Nutria-eating asses.

Political Hack
09-19-2014, 08:17 PM
I can get the appeal of not watching live, but I have to see it when it happens.

jbjones
09-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Ha, I hear ya. My latest ex-ladyfriend (a New Orleans native) spent more of the '09 season outside during Saints games than watching them. Hell, even the games we went to, she would go to the concourse or outside..she couldn't handle the rough times. The Saints still won the Super Bowl that year. Do what you have to do!

codeDawg
09-19-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm very happy to have a 3-year-old birthday party to throw until 6:30 tomorrow night. That's just enough time to DVR a good chunk of the game that I can hurry through and hopefully watch the end in real time. It's the first half my nerves can't handle.

Jack Lambert
09-19-2014, 08:28 PM
You are sounding like a girl. Nut up!

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Have you tried alcohol or weed during our games?

Jack Lambert
09-19-2014, 08:32 PM

Why can't you have both?

Dawgcentral
09-19-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm 50, so I can understand completely. My first game was on the radio in 1974. From then on I was hooked. No way I miss it live. I manage to watch live, on TV, or listen on the radio for every damn game possible. Only one I can recall missing was an Audurn game while I was on the road in Colorado/Wyoming, and I was getting hourly updates by phone from a friend.

We have a chance tomorrow. Thats all I need to get excited. I'll have to deal with a loss just like I deal with every disappointment in life. I once took apart a picnic table with my cowbell during an away game at Baton Rouge, but I managed to survive and not hurt any bystanders. So be it. I survived.

Barking 13
09-19-2014, 08:36 PM

white widow.... severe couch lock

FlabLoser
09-19-2014, 08:46 PM
As much as I engage in social media, I have to say I think I enjoy games LESS because of it. Too much anticipation. Too much hype. To much moping after a loss.

Ya know how a movie can be so hyped that no matter how good the movie is, it just can't live up? I'd like to say I feel that way, but I'll probably change my mind IF WE EVER GET THAT ****ING ELUSIVE SIGNATURE WIN...OR TWO!

Bully13
09-19-2014, 08:54 PM
I gave up weed 15 years ago when I got married to someone who would not tolerate it. That, along with now having a 10 yr old son, was the extra incentive. Times like this make me miss weed. Thank God for alcohol though.

preachermatt83
09-19-2014, 09:00 PM
I enjoy the nervousness.. I feed off of it!!

godlluB
09-19-2014, 09:00 PM
I told my boss this afternoon that if we win Saturday night, I'll probably still be too drunk to come to work on Monday.

tcdog70
09-19-2014, 09:06 PM
The thrill of victory or the agony of defeat.. It ain't just MSU fans. this is why people are called Fanatics.

gravedigger
09-19-2014, 09:15 PM
I'm 47 and I have the opposite reaction. I used to get very nervous before games. Nauseated if we lost the egg bowl.

Now, not so much. Almost to the point it's an afterthought. I guess when my dad passed, the joy of winning and agony of losing subsided.

I still scream at the tv in the middle of games but the aftermath just doesn't last like it used to.

Of course if we play to our ultimate potential I'll relive it all again. But until then, it's just good Saturday fun.

IMissJack
09-19-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm a lot like you, I don't like watching us (especially against OM) on TV. I can deal with it better in person for some reason. As a young person 8-20, I got everything from radio usually, and we were on TV maybe 2 games a year. Now that every game is on, it is more nervousness involved. I do believe the games are generally overhyped now, not just us. Every week, there is a game of the decade on some station.

preachermatt83
09-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Can the name of this thread be changed to "Old Geezers"?

Bully13
09-19-2014, 09:34 PM

Preach on Matt, I intentionally left the door open for yall. "Ain't promisin' ya nothin' ya don't already have"

Dawgcentral
09-19-2014, 09:40 PM

Name it whatever you please.

If you're lucky, one day you'll have the privilege and experience to call yourself an "Old Geezer". And you might have the wisdom to refrain from insulting those with a wealth of experience.

Schultzy
09-19-2014, 09:46 PM

Your time's coming too mf'r. Now go preach a sermon.

Coach34
09-19-2014, 09:49 PM
I told my boss this afternoon that if we win Saturday night, I'll probably still be too drunk to come to work on Monday.

If we win Saturday night, my boss may be too drunk to come to work on Monday

Coach34
09-19-2014, 09:53 PM
I still have the same excitement and anticipation I did when I was 10. I cant stand not to watch- except from 2004 thru 2008- when I probably didnt watch or listen to at least 10 games. But other than the Croom Error- I havent missed watching or listening on radio since I was 4 years old.

defiantdog
09-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Watch it like a man. I went to State from 2001 to 2005.... I remember sitting in the stands watching us lose to Maine. **** that.... those days are gone. Now we have a chance to beat the big boys. Watch the game and thank god we don't have four foot qbs anymore. We are considered a threat again.... gotta soak it in and live it every chance we get!

CadaverDawg
09-19-2014, 10:48 PM
My Dad is like you, Bully13. He can't stomach to watch. He'll watch a replay if we win, but that's it. I'll get a few texts during the game that says "how bad is it?" And shit like that. And when it really is bad, it pisses me off....but when we're winning or playing well, I love getting to send back "we're winning, turd...turn it on", or something like that. I was in person at the Maine game, so nothing during the Mullen era can be that bad.

I watch every minute of every game, and then watch the replay at least one time whether we win or lose. Sometimes it's painful, and I know that I can be obnoxiously passionate about my Dawgs....but I can't help it. I watch every game no matter if we're down 45-0 in the 3rd quarter or whatever. I'll be searching for some positive in our second string QB or something in garbage time. It's stupid, but it's me.

I can totally understand where you're coming from though, 13....because I've witnessed it first hand, and often times have asked myself why I don't do the same and save my sanity and blood pressure...but I can't do it.

Hell, I'm so anxious, I won't sleep worth a shit tonight. I've got my alarm set for earlier than it would be on a work day....just so I can get up and get the day started. I can not wait. Like a kid on Christmas every Saturday.

hells bells
09-19-2014, 10:58 PM
51 yrs old, I've not missed a MSU football game whether it be via radio, t.v. or internet since I was 9 yrs old. God's Honest Truth.

I don't know what changed, but this internet, cable t.v. & social media along with my expansion into living in bigger cities outside MS, or maybe my older age but something has changed over the last few years.

I have found myself recording our important games that make me nervous and keeping up with them on my phone or P.C. while I engage in another activity. If the outcome is to my liking, I hurridly rush to my DVR and watch.

I just don't seem to be able to handle it like I used to. I get nervous and can't watch live. too much for the nerves. All this National media, internet and stuff is so new to me based on what I grew up on.

My best friend these days over the last 12 years is a LSU fan. . (graduate of Lafayette) (go figure) (you know how that goes)

I feel like a long haired cat in a room filled with rocking chairs right now. There is no way I watch this game tomorrow night live. I don't have the emotional capacity to handle it. Unless things go our way early on for a change. Dear God (sports God that is) can I have a little sumpin' sumpin'?)

So go ahead and rip me a new one. Maybe I deserve it. But based on history, much more of me believes we will lose tomorrow than what believes we have a shot at winning.

Forgive me for my age and experience, forgive me for my weakness, but I'm just wondering if there are any other MSU fans that are WAY to emotionallly wrapped in this season as I am..

I've been waiting for maybe way too long. . Who knows..

Loss of words. Locate your manhood and check back in next week. Meantime let's kick corn dogs ass.

MSUDawg4Life
09-19-2014, 11:13 PM
I understand. I haven't watched a game live this year. I've gone fishing instead.

I use the TuneIn Radio app on my iPhone to listen to the game and the ESPN app to keep up with the stats. ESPN Gamecast even lets you watch video of big plays a few minutes after they happen. I watch the game later when I get home.

These past few Saturdays have been pretty relaxing for me.

FlabLoser
09-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Name it whatever you please.

If you're lucky, one day you'll have the privilege and experience to call yourself an "Old Geezer". And you might have the wisdom to refrain from insulting those with a wealth of experience.

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister

hells bells
09-19-2014, 11:33 PM
This post should be renamed, Mary Hartman Mary Hartman. Google it.

FlabLoser
09-19-2014, 11:36 PM
I've you've eaten from a TV Dinner, join the club. You're an old geezer. Salute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-6mI708yWc

Dawgtini
09-19-2014, 11:42 PM
It's only a game. One hundred years from now, we'll all be moldering rotted corpses, and our souls will have to answer to God for everything we do in our lives....I seriously doubt The Lord will ask us how well Mississippi State did in 2014 against LSU. However, if He WERE to ask, it'll probably show that Dak and Company kicked their every-loving-Nutria-eating asses.
As my kids would say: "You Rock!"

Smitty
09-19-2014, 11:54 PM
Can't stand not to watch.. Do not miss one single drive, play, second?. Home games in stadium with family; road games watch ALONE!

Can't do watch parties, watch at a bar nonsense. Just me and my beer. Big-time games like tomorrow will probably cost me 1-2 years of life with the added stresses, hopefully no more. How many near heart-attacks did the Wallacing fumble or Anthony Johnson pick-6 or Pegues return TD cause...

Maroonthirteen
09-20-2014, 12:00 AM
Same here Gravedigger.

When I was a kid up to 30, I got nervous for games. I got really high and low depending on outcome. Then the Croom era happened. I had kids. I then understood the proper perspective on SEC football. Now, I still do everything I can to watch the games. I watch live and prefer to be in attendance. But I'm no longer nervous during games and get over it quickly if we lose.

Dawgowar
09-20-2014, 06:20 AM

Been at it as long as you. I left to live and work in the big cities of the world and remote corners of it as well in 1985. 'Battered Bulldog Syndrome' is a reversible state of mind. First what Mutt said was true. Second, enjoy the ride. As bad as game day whining can get and the nit-picking at our team supporters have now, it will be ten times worse when we 'arrive'. We are slowly at times and faster at others taking our place at the table. If you are in a revolution fighting you forgo the right to whine and bitch. It's a fight. The worse thing that happens if you lose a battle is that you re-group. It's sports, you are not having to notify next of kin or stand by a gravesite after a loss.

I enjoy watching these kids prove people wrong. Particularly some MSU fans who are apparently in an online hyperventilating contest.

If you are wanting the result of seeing this team establish itself then have the commitment to endure the discomfort now (Crap, we have already endured 30-40 years of it already). Your inability to watch will only get worse when we win, because you will fear losing more than enjoy winning. How can that be fun after so many years of bad football?

Enjoy the ride. We finally have a stable and effective leadership group. We have solid kids who develop. Unlike our time, we are not looking at the schedule hoping schools have injuries in order to get to six wins. Nobody refers to us as "the toughest 3-8 team in the conference" any longer. How can you not enjoy this enough to watch it live? Respect the hard work these kids and coaches have put in. Take an antacid and sit down. Turn the TV on. Breath. Watch. Cheer. Make yourself watch. STAY AWAY FROM THE GAMEDAY THREAD! LOL.

Political Hack
09-20-2014, 06:46 AM
"Old geezers" are winning... just in case some of you young geezers didn't know that.

phatdog
09-20-2014, 06:50 AM
The Croom years doused the desire for me.

Dawgowar
09-20-2014, 06:56 AM
The Croom years doused the desire for me.

My Maroon Blood barely survived then end of Bellard and the entirety of Felker's reign. The horror, the horror.

BogeyGolfer
09-20-2014, 07:11 AM
I'm 47 and I have the opposite reaction. I used to get very nervous before games. Nauseated if we lost the egg bowl.

Now, not so much. Almost to the point it's an afterthought. I guess when my dad passed, the joy of winning and agony of losing subsided.

I still scream at the tv in the middle of games but the aftermath just doesn't last like it used to.

Of course if we play to our ultimate potential I'll relive it all again. But until then, it's just good Saturday fun.

This is how I feel... I have so much shit going in in my life that actually matters, I don't have the same feeling as I did when I was 10. I can remember driving down from Tupelo on what used to be a shitty two- lane highway 45 and the anticipation was overwhelming. Now, I still want us to win, and I get really pissed if we play poorly but the hurt after a loss doesn't linger like it used to. Honestly the 2009 LSU loss hurt me tremendously,and I couldn't watch TV or read the internet for a while after that game... I guess it kind of toughened me up to where now I get over it quickly...

Maroonthirteen
09-20-2014, 07:20 AM
Well said, Dawgofwar.

In the 80s, luckily, I was to young to know any better. When Bellard and Felker took the field, all I saw was maroon head gear with the diagnol MSU. I loved them regardless of scores.

In the 90s, I went to about every game we played. Red Stick, Tuscaloosa, Auburn.....I didn't care. I loved my Bulldogs and had to be there to support them. In the late 90s, living in TN, TN fans asked why I did it........(around 98,99) I said we may never be this good again. I am taking it all in. But low and behold, here we are again....maybe better overall than we were back then. I will watch every second I can (kids activities get in way sometimes) and savior every moment. But I am better about not getting ridiculously high or low regarding the outcome.

Regardless tonight, I hope like haides that we win, but I know Dan the boys will represent MSU well.

Ralph
09-20-2014, 10:08 AM
white widow.... severe couch lock

skywalker helps too. i can now watch games with less pain

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-20-2014, 10:17 AM
I gave up weed 15 years ago when I got married to someone who would not tolerate it. That, along with now having a 10 yr old son, was the extra incentive. Times like this make me miss weed. Thank God for alcohol though.

You gave up weed FOR alcohol? No wonder you are always pissed off.

tcdog70
09-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Ha, ha-- Hell I was there when Memphis State beat us for their first win against a SEC team. saw a hell of a riot when they tried to tear down our goal post. I lived through the Charlie Shira era, shit he was worse than Croom ( you newbies imagine that shit). But all that does Is make me appreciate what Dan has done to bring us to this level. But I'm tired of knocking on the door, I'm ready to kick the Mfer down. Bum Phillips said that.

I'll be there watching every play, from the start to the end. Grow some nuts .

Coach34
09-20-2014, 10:30 AM
But all that does Is make me appreciate what Dan has done to bring us to this level. But I'm tired of knocking on the door, I'm ready to kick the Mfer down. Bum Phillips said that. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dn9T5NUBQ

Bully13
09-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Ha, ha-- Hell I was there when Memphis State beat us for their first win against a SEC team. saw a hell of a riot when they tried to tear down our goal post. I lived through the Charlie Shira era, shit he was worse than Croom ( you newbies imagine that shit). But all that does Is make me appreciate what Dan has done to bring us to this level. But I'm tired of knocking on the door, I'm ready to kick the Mfer down. Bum Phillips said that.

I'll be there watching every play, from the start to the end. Grow some nuts .

Damn, you may just be one of the oldest people here at ED. my dad was at that game while going to State. there was indeed a riot on the field but our fans were equipped with cowbells. we lost the game but won the riot. several memphis state rioters ended up in the hospital that night. big memphis state fan in a suit and tie literally saved several memphis state fans from getting hurt real bad. at least that's the story my dad always told. trying to take down goal posts while visiting is classless. shouldn't do it.

tcdog70
09-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Damn, you may just be one of the oldest people here at ED. my dad was at that game while going to State. there was indeed a riot on the field but our fans were equipped with cowbells. we lost the game but won the riot. several memphis state rioters ended up in the hospital that night. big memphis state fan in a suit and tie literally saved several memphis state fans from getting hurt real bad. at least that's the story my dad always told. trying to take down goal posts while visiting is classless. shouldn't do it.

I was in the ninth grade. It was an eye opener for a young chap.

tcdog70
09-20-2014, 11:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dn9T5NUBQ

Nice clip, you had to Love some Bum. He ran Earl Campbell into a wheel chair

AROB44
09-20-2014, 11:51 AM

I hope you never become an "old geezer". Think about that and the alternative, Elmer Gantry.

MSUDawg4Life
09-20-2014, 12:22 PM
"See, you learn something when you listen to old people. They ain't all fools. You don't get to be old being no fool. A lot of young, wise men they deader than a motherf***er, ain't they?" - Richard Pryor (Mudbone)

Coach34
09-20-2014, 12:42 PM
I used to think that way until I started getting older. Now at 45, that old saying is true-"I aint as good as I once was- but I'm as good once as I ever was"

AROB44
09-20-2014, 04:03 PM
I was in the ninth grade. It was an eye opener for a young chap.

I was in school at MSU and was at that game. Saw some poor bastard get hip in the mouth with a cowbell. Was one hell of a riot.