PDA

View Full Version : Changing Attitudes at Mississippi State

TXDawg
09-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Another great SEC Blog article for Alex Scarborough:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/88881/mississippi-state-out-to-prove-it-belongs

I like the way Dan thinks.

starkvegasdawg
09-19-2014, 10:45 AM
I like that. Kind of went along with my fake pregame speech from another thread. We've been laughed at and told we're not good enough to ever amount to anything but tomorrow night we have a chance to shut everybody up. How bad do we want it?

archdog
09-19-2014, 10:46 AM
That is the way it should be. Great write up.

War Machine Dawg
09-19-2014, 10:49 AM
It's amazing how quickly so many of our fans reverted to, and still have, the "Poor ol' Missippi State" mindset following the Kang's success. Mullen had to rebuild the psyche of our fans when he got here, in the way The Kang had to build our psyche the first time. And I imagine that was one of the large points of discussions Mullen & JWS had early on. I see a lot of similarities in the way they've approached the job.

We can win here. We can be a program that's relevant. But we've got to eliminate the old school MSU mindset to truly move forward as a program.

thunderclap
09-19-2014, 11:06 AM
It's amazing how quickly so many of our fans reverted to, and still have, the "Poor ol' Missippi State" mindset following the Kang's success. Mullen had to rebuild the psyche of our fans when he got here, in the way The Kang had to build our psyche the first time. And I imagine that was one of the large points of discussions Mullen & JWS had early on. I see a lot of similarities in the way they've approached the job.

We can win here. We can be a program that's relevant. But we've got to eliminate the old school MSU mindset to truly move forward as a program.

That's true. The King made us believe. But that Croom shit went a long way in tearing it all down. I not only gave up going, didn't even watch it. And part of that was Croom and LT both accepted we had little to no chance here, and all the doomsdayers followed right along.

Pollodawg
09-19-2014, 11:22 AM
If I were Mullen, I would make this game personal to the team, but especially to Dak and Jrob. I would ask Dak what he had to fear from this team. Sure, there are a lot of LSU fans in the stands. Are they going to jump on the field and make one iota difference in the game? No. I know the game's in Louisiana, but the dirt and grass down there don't rob the opposing team of their abilities or make LSU immortal. Dak, you're home, baby boy. You're the native son. This is YOUR backyard.

JRob, look at what's happening. These people rejected you, man. Miles and Co. took one look at your highlight tape, shrugged, and tossed it in the trash. This team that you from the cradle until now ingested as a native Louisianan turned its back on you and said they didn't care about all of your hard-work, your sweat, and blood. You weren't good enough for them. Show em, son. Show 100,000 people and the world that they were wrong. YOU are the best thing to come out of Louisiana since Gumbo. Fight, and win their respect. Show them that a grown ass man wears number 13, and he came to play today.

And to the team as a whole: This is it, boys. We stand on the big stage. Nobody brought us here, and nobody but us decides where we go from here. LSU has no say in this. They're just one more team, one more hurdle, one more stop on the way. You might even call them a mountain, and if you can't go over the mountain, move the son-of-a-bitch. I want 60 minutes of everything you have, every snap, every play, until the whistle blows and fourteen years of futility and heart break become nothing more than a memory. I want 100,000 stunned LSU fans. I want this place as quiet as it has ever been. And when they are sufficiently aware of the fact that THE MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS have arrived in Baton Rouge, LA, I want them to turn to one another and say: "Aint nothing we can do with em." Let's go.

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2014, 11:28 AM
All the new SEC money has had as much to do with the change as any thing. Our expectation ceiling got a lot higher because it COULD. In the past we didn't have the money. Byrne, Strickland, and Mullen came along at a time when our landscape was about to change anyway. They have benefited from it but they also have done very well in steering it.

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Oh and as for this weekend: To Dak and JRob, REMEMBER ORLANDO LUNDIE!

CadaverDawg
09-19-2014, 11:36 AM
If I were Mullen, I would make this game personal to the team, but especially to Dak and Jrob. I would ask Dak what he had to fear from this team. Sure, there are a lot of LSU fans in the stands. Are they going to jump on the field and make one iota difference in the game? No. I know the game's in Louisiana, but the dirt and grass down there don't rob the opposing team of their abilities or make LSU immortal. Dak, you're home, baby boy. You're the native son. This is YOUR backyard.

JRob, look at what's happening. These people rejected you, man. Miles and Co. took one look at your highlight tape, shrugged, and tossed it in the trash. This team that you from the cradle until now ingested as a native Louisianan turned its back on you and said they didn't care about all of your hard-work, your sweat, and blood. You weren't good enough for them. Show em, son. Show 100,000 people and the world that they were wrong. YOU are the best thing to come out of Louisiana since Gumbo. Fight, and win their respect. Show them that a grown ass man wears number 34, and he came to play today.

And to the team as a whole: This is it, boys. We stand on the big stage. Nobody brought us here, and nobody but us decides where we go from here. LSU has no say in this. They're just one more team, one more hurdle, one more stop on the way. You might even call them a mountain, and if you can't go over the mountain, move the son-of-a-bitch. I want 60 minutes of everything you have, every snap, every play, until the whistle blows and fourteen years of futility and heart break become nothing more than a memory. I want 100,000 stunned LSU fans. I want this place as quiet as it has ever been. And when they are sufficiently aware of the fact that THE MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS have arrived in Baton Rouge, LA, I want them to turn to one another and say: "Aint nothing we can do with em." Let's go.

Man, THIS is what I'm talkin bout, right here. Bravo and hand me a ****ing helmet and some shoulder pads.

BrunswickDawg
09-19-2014, 11:53 AM
"Well then... I guess we will just have to win the whole got-damned thing"

preachermatt83
09-19-2014, 12:00 PM

JRob, look at what's happening. These people rejected you, man. Miles and Co. took one look at your highlight tape, shrugged, and tossed it in the trash. This team that you from the cradle until now ingested as a native Louisianan turned its back on you and said they didn't care about all of your hard-work, your sweat, and blood. You weren't good enough for them. Show em, son. Show 100,000 people and the world that they were wrong. YOU are the best thing to come out of Louisiana since Gumbo. Fight, and win their respect. Show them that a grown ass man wears number 34, and he came to play today.

im suited up ... when's the bus leave.?

Mjoelner34
09-19-2014, 12:08 PM

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110705203442/glee/images/3/38/Orson-welles-clapping.gif

hailmari
09-19-2014, 12:13 PM
JRob wears 13... *buzz killer*

gtowndawg
09-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Watching the Croom documentary will show you one of the reasons many think like that. he said, "First think I told them was they don't know how bad they are." Or something crazy like that. That's why that documentary ticked me off. The whole thing was about Croom trying to turn around a horrible program where it was impossible to compete. No mention of how the Kang had already proved otherwise.