PDA

View Full Version : Besides the Lucky Breaks.... The real difference in Auburn this year is not having...

RougeDawg
09-19-2014, 01:05 AM
Tre Mason. I said it before the season and I'll say it again. Tre Mason made Nick Marshall last year, and tonight was an example of Auburn without a RB who could take the pressure off of Marshall. It translated into a great season for Marshall last year and him being 1st team SEC. AU doesn't have any Mason caliber RB's this year to keep the defenses guessing. This showed tonight. It's also why Auburn will be a 8-4 team like they should have been last year without the 3 last play wins they had.

dawgs
09-19-2014, 01:53 AM
Tre Mason. I said it before the season and I'll say it again. Tre Mason made Nick Marshall last year, and tonight was an example of Auburn without a RB who could take the pressure off of Marshall. It translated into a great season for Marshall last year and him being 1st team SEC. AU doesn't have any Mason caliber RB's this year to keep the defenses guessing. This showed tonight. It's also why Auburn will be a 8-4 team like they should have been last year without the 3 last play wins they had.

i think you mean greg robinson. the OL wasn't opening holes for artis-payne, who up until now has been plenty good.

msstate7
09-19-2014, 06:00 AM
i think you mean greg robinson. the OL wasn't opening holes for artis-payne, who up until now has been plenty good.

Yep

Offshore Dawg
09-19-2014, 06:00 AM
Looks like Auburn still has that horseshoe firmly planted up their ass !!!

hailmari
09-19-2014, 06:02 AM
They definitely have some improving to do if they wanna repeat last year's success/luck. Like OM, I saw a lot of holes that'll get exploited soon.

msstate7
09-19-2014, 06:29 AM
They definitely have some improving to do if they wanna repeat last year's success/luck. Like OM, I saw a lot of holes that'll get exploited soon.

Personally I think you could say that for the whole sec. I haven't seen that championship contender like normal years in the conference. There are plenty good teams, but not sure if there's a great team. Bc of this I expect conference play to be a bloodbath of evenly matched teams

shoeless joe
09-19-2014, 06:48 AM
A lot of folks prolly said the same things about them last year after we played them...

thf24
09-19-2014, 07:17 AM
A lot of folks prolly said the same things about them last year after we played them...

Last year they were still establishing their new identity. This year they're doing exactly the same thing they did last year, and a national championship game team last season with no scheme changes should look a whole lot better four games in. Unless of course the loss of key talent in several areas hurts them a lot more than anyone who knows has been willing to admit.

MetEdDawg
09-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Auburn's offense is one that now has a pattern to it without Tre Mason. Mason was effective both between the tackles and on the edge and was also a huge threat in the passing game. Their current stable of RBs can't do that. Artis-Payne is a between the tackles runner. Grant runs outside the tackles about 90% of the time.

The way Auburn beats you is what they showed last night late. Overly aggressive CBs that will get beat on the read option pass. When Marshall does keep the read option and steps back to throw, a lot of times CBs in man coverage will get beat over the top because they are looking to come up and make a tackle on Marshall. So they take their eyes off their WR and boom they get burned.

Exact type of play Auburn ran last night to ice the game. Read option pass where at the moment Marshall acts like he's going to keep it and run, the WR jabs up the field to finish his double move over the top. CB is stepping up to get in position to attempt to tackle Marshall while also anticipating the throw on the slant. If you time it right where Marshall steps up at the same time the WR angles deeper down the field, you get exactly what happened on that last play. That's where our CBs have to maintain their responsibility and not get caught looking.

Covercorner2
09-19-2014, 08:29 AM
They really miss Jay Prosch

Homedawg
09-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Personally I think you could say that for the whole sec. I haven't seen that championship contender like normal years in the conference. There are plenty good teams, but not sure if there's a great team. Bc of this I expect conference play to be a bloodbath of evenly matched teams

At this point, this is pretty dang accurate. No one really stands out to me either.

RougeDawg
09-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Auburn's offense is one that now has a pattern to it without Tre Mason. Mason was effective both between the tackles and on the edge and was also a huge threat in the passing game. Their current stable of RBs can't do that. Artis-Payne is a between the tackles runner. Grant runs outside the tackles about 90% of the time.

The way Auburn beats you is what they showed last night late. Overly aggressive CBs that will get beat on the read option pass. When Marshall does keep the read option and steps back to throw, a lot of times CBs in man coverage will get beat over the top because they are looking to come up and make a tackle on Marshall. So they take their eyes off their WR and boom they get burned.

Exact type of play Auburn ran last night to ice the game. Read option pass where at the moment Marshall acts like he's going to keep it and run, the WR jabs up the field to finish his double move over the top. CB is stepping up to get in position to attempt to tackle Marshall while also anticipating the throw on the slant. If you time it right where Marshall steps up at the same time the WR angles deeper down the field, you get exactly what happened on that last play. That's where our CBs have to maintain their responsibility and not get caught looking.

^^This^^. You took it more in depth but Mason was a dynamic player that is close to irreplaceable. He made that offense last year and opened it up for Marshall. Last years AU offense would have blown out KState in the first half last night. But now a defense only has to really watch Marshall and key on him because the other guys aren't likely to beat you on their own.

HancockCountyDog
09-19-2014, 09:27 AM
^^This^^. You took it more in depth but Mason was a dynamic player that is close to irreplaceable. He made that offense last year and opened it up for Marshall. Last years AU offense would have blown out KState in the first half last night. But now a defense only has to really watch Marshall and key on him because the other guys aren't likely to beat you on their own.

I really thought the AU OL simply wasn't getting the push they got last year. Robinson was a damn monster. Mason was damn good, so they are certainly missing him, but they aren't living on 2nd and 3 this season, which they did pretty much all last year.

Guys, we need to take care of business on Saturday.

MarketingBully01
09-19-2014, 09:44 AM

Nick Marshall hasn't improved at all in the passing game as well. Teams can still make them one dimensional. I think they are a 3-4 loss team. We definitely have a great shot against them.

MetEdDawg
09-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Nick Marshall hasn't improved at all in the passing game as well. Teams can still make them one dimensional. I think they are a 3-4 loss team. We definitely have a great shot against them.

I think Marshall has gotten a little better. Problem for defenses is that he has a year older Sammy Coates and now has Duke Williams. Both of those are legit targets that can use their bodies to catch balls and get behind a defense. If those two catch those easy passes they dropped Auburn scores at least 10 more points last night. They will be better in the passing game because they are better in the receiving game.

I think that's very similar to us as well. We aren't going to be better in the passing because Dak improved his passing ability so much in the offseason. He was already pretty good. But our WR core is significantly better than it was last year in terms of talent and experience. That helps your passing game a ton and Auburn will be a benefactor of that as well.

HoopsDawg
09-19-2014, 10:03 AM
They really miss Jay Prosch

Bingo.

dawgs
09-19-2014, 10:12 AM

Could say that about the whole country though. F$U hasn't been dominant. Oregon has looked like oregon and has a great W over Michigan st, but I fear the OL injuries might catch up with them soon. Baylor hasn't played anyone. I guess maybe oklahoma? Either way, everyone has either a hole or 2 or some major questions yet to be answered.

borne
09-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Auburn's secondary looked like garbage. A good passing team will embarrass them

msstate7
09-19-2014, 10:30 AM
On another note.... How bad is ark's defense? Auburn destroyed them and TT scored a ton also

borne
09-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Arkansas seems to be improving every game... they may be a good team by the end of the year

MarketingBully01
09-19-2014, 12:34 PM
I think Marshall has gotten a little better. Problem for defenses is that he has a year older Sammy Coates and now has Duke Williams. Both of those are legit targets that can use their bodies to catch balls and get behind a defense. If those two catch those easy passes they dropped Auburn scores at least 10 more points last night. They will be better in the passing game because they are better in the receiving game.

I think that's very similar to us as well. We aren't going to be better in the passing because Dak improved his passing ability so much in the offseason. He was already pretty good. But our WR core is significantly better than it was last year in terms of talent and experience. That helps your passing game a ton and Auburn will be a benefactor of that as well.

You could say the same exact thing last year. If he wasn't over throwing his receivers they dropped balls. He must not throw a very catchable ball. I see the same weaknesses they had last year in the passing game. Want to also remind you that K-State gave them 19 points between turnovers and missed field goals. Should have been a 30-17 type game with Auburn in deep shit.

dawgs
09-19-2014, 12:40 PM
You could say the same exact thing last year. If he wasn't over throwing his receivers they dropped balls. He must not throw a very catchable ball. I see the same weaknesses they had last year in the passing game. Want to also remind you that K-State gave them 19 points between turnovers and missed field goals. Should have been a 30-17 type game with Auburn in deep shit.

Only auburn gets the benefit of one of the best WRs in the country letting a TD pass hit him in the chest and having it bounce into the air for an int. That's about as auburn as it gets. Right up there with marshall's clutch pass to himself against us, the uga shoulda been int turned into a tipped ball for a miracle td, and the Bama kick 6.

msstate7
09-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Only auburn gets the benefit of one of the best WRs in the country letting a TD pass hit him in the chest and having it bounce into the air for an int. That's about as auburn as it gets. Right up there with marshall's clutch pass to himself against us, the uga shoulda been int turned into a tipped ball for a miracle td, and the Bama kick 6.

Surely fate has all their bad luck just around the corner. I hope it starts with us

MarketingBully01
09-19-2014, 12:51 PM

And to top it off, the DB was beat on that play and the only reason he was in position to make the catch was that he was beaten on the play. But with all that said, the WR has to bat the ball down if he can't make the catch. No INTs have ever been made on balls being knocked into the ground. Now balls batted up? Different story...

dawgs
09-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Surely fate has all their bad luck just around the corner. I hope it starts with us

Typing all that out reminds me auburn has had more luck in the last 12 months than msu football has had in history. And that's not even going back to 2010 and dyer's miracle run to set up the last second title winning FG when his knee somehow didn't hit the ground when he was tackled. I'm just going to stop now before I go put my head in the oven.

chef dixon
09-19-2014, 12:54 PM
And to top it off, the DB was beat on that play and the only reason he was in position to make the catch was that he was beaten on the play. But with all that said, the WR has to bat the ball down if he can't make the catch. No INTs have ever been made on balls being knocked into the ground. Now balls batted up? Different story...

Just curious, how exactly do you bat it down if you are trying to catch it?

MarketingBully01
09-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Just curious, how exactly do you bat it down if you are trying to catch it?

It went through his hands and he tipped it up. If he just knocks it down, it doesn't get picked off. Hopefully he would know he would have no chance to catch the football. He did the absolute worst thing he could do. He could still have knocked it down.

Jack Lambert
09-19-2014, 01:18 PM

I think it's both.