PDA

View Full Version : Something That make me go Hmmm?

tcdog70
09-18-2014, 10:31 PM
I keep hearing that the hurry up offense makes the defense tired. But doesn't the offense get just as tired?
I refereed for 25 years and the offense got just as tired as the defense.

missouridawg
09-18-2014, 10:36 PM
It makes roster management much more important. The 2s vs 2s then become very key to the outcome of the game.

Also, if the offense is conditioned for it and the defense is not.... Advantage offense.

But the biggest key to hurry up is defensive play calling and situational subbing. It forces the defense to not be able to read a formation and call a blitz package or zone coverage or whatever...

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Also, the offense can pick and choose which play to run, depending on who is tired. They dictate the action. In doing that, they are able to manage their exhaustion.

The defense can only react. If offense can a play at the tired guy every time.

Finally, since the offense has 4 downs, the offense can make mistakes and be fine. The defense can't make a mistake or it is a score.

jumbo
09-19-2014, 09:37 AM
I keep hearing that the hurry up offense makes the defense tired. But doesn't the offense get just as tired?
I refereed for 25 years and the offense got just as tired as the defense.

I'd say that you hope your offense is conditioned to run the HU and therefore doesn't tire as easy as the D does.

tcdog70
09-19-2014, 10:33 AM
I still think, the Defense gets tired is way overblown.Those fat boys in the OL get just as tired. I think the hurry up's advantage would come in their ability to out scheme the defense.

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2014, 10:37 AM
The only real advantage to the hurry up is it prevents the defense from subbing and scheming as much.

Jack Lambert
09-19-2014, 01:39 PM
I think it is like any other offense idea that has come along the past 100 years. The Pass, Notre Dame box, Wish Bone, West Coast, Wing, Power Eye and anything else. Defenses learn how to defend against it and it goes away. Then something else comes along.

tcdog70
09-19-2014, 02:42 PM
since the Early Days of leather Helmets--The team that blocks and tackles best usually wins

Mutt the Hoople
09-19-2014, 07:39 PM
No kidding. I remember playing offensive line, and when we had a 11-12 play drive by the end of the drive I'd be barely leaning on guy in front of me.

bulldawg28
09-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Offensive lineman can wait for the defensive lineman to attack them in the hurry up. When most DL are tired they are less aggressive and take plays off even though they're moving.

Dawgcentral
09-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Set, push off, and get the feet moving. Beats the hell out of constant containment, swim moves and complete aggression. It's the every play expense of energy.

Of course there's a depletion of energy on the offensive side of the line, but you decide where you're going and you make sure you get the job done. I'd guess there's a 30% advantage over the course of the game.

If you're solid and can move your feet, your an asset.