PDA

View Full Version : It's time for Mullen to take off the Pampers and put on whitey tighties

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2014, 10:07 AM
We have broken this game down in every which way possible, but Saturday night's game could ultimatley come down to whether Mullen shows up trying to reinvent football and be cute, or whether Mullen has looked at himself in the mirror this week and decided he will wear their ass out and RTGDF.

You don't win big SEC games by being finesse. Mullen must wear his man pants Saturday night and fully commit to a physical, knock down, drag out, heavy weight brawl.

We're going to find out if Mullen has testicles Saturday night.

Irondawg
09-18-2014, 10:13 AM
I think we still need to take a downfield shot to Bear early if they are stuffing the box and we can find man coverage on him

But you are right - we have to commit to running the ball down their throat if possible.

DudyDawg
09-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Run the ball, PA passes and double moves. Dont get too fancy.

Oh, and PSYCHODEFENSE

Drugdog
09-18-2014, 10:16 AM
My call is that if Bear has 100 yards we win if either Dak or Jrob have 100 as well.

Reason2succeed
09-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Whether it is a run or short passes we need to protect the football and keep our defense off the field. LSU is going to try to manhandle us but I think we have the defensive depth in our front 7 to hold up. It is our secondary that scares me. Luckily, their QB doesn't scare me with his arm either. It is a great matchup for us to knockoff the #8 team in the nation. I think we do it. I think that if we start fast on offense and hold them on defense that we could get up and have their fans leaving in the third qtr. Sound crazy? Wisconsin had absolutely no passing game and just about pulled it off. It's going to take focus an efficiency but we have the team and this is our time.

Percho
09-18-2014, 10:24 AM
We have broken this game down in every which way possible, but Saturday night's game could ultimatley come down to whether Mullen shows up trying to reinvent football and be cute, or whether Mullen has looked at himself in the mirror this week and decided he will wear their ass out and RTGDF.

You don't win big SEC games by being finesse. Mullen must wear his man pants Saturday night and fully commit to a physical, knock down, drag out, heavy weight brawl.

So you are saying whether we win or lose depends on whether they have dropped or not?

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2014, 10:40 AM
So you are saying whether we win or lose depends on whether they have dropped or not?

Your statement is a straw man, but I don't believer we can win unless they've dropped. Obviously, they could drop but we still lose. To win though, Mullen must commit to simplicity and physicality.

starkvegasdawg
09-18-2014, 10:41 AM

They need to be dragging about three feet behind him Saturday night.

gtowndawg
09-18-2014, 10:48 AM
I want to run the ball and I think that's what we will do. But what if our O-line is getting dominated upfront? I don't think that's out of the question to be honest.

I'm all for running. I think Dak will have to run the ball 15+ to have a chance. But I'm also for trying just about anything if it's obvious they are shutting the run down. I don't care if it's cute. If cute helps beat LSU that's all I care about.

CadaverDawg
09-18-2014, 10:54 AM
If we have to run Dak 50 times to win this game....we should. And Dak would tell you the same thing. Our two biggest weapons are Dak and JRob. We may have to go Jackie Sherrill on them, and run it 20 times, then play action and throw one deep to keep them honest, over and over. Whatever it takes to keep our ground game going. We will not win this game if our balance is 60/40 run in my opinion. It will probably have to be more like 75/25 or even 80/20. If it's less than 65% run, we are probably playing catch up or came in with a bad game plan.

defiantdog
09-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Throwing the ball early will lose this game for us. Mullen knows that LSU's DL is their weakest part of their defense (if any part is actually weak). We need to control the clock, RTGDF and go into halftime with either the lead or close. Our defense has to really step up though. If our defense plays this game like they did against Alabama last year, we'll win.

maroonmania
09-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Well I believe that we can all agree that Dan, historically, in big SEC games tends to get MUCH more conservative. Sometimes like he's just trying to keep the score close rather than trying to win. In this game that might actually play to our advantage UNLESS our OL can't get any movement and we are routinely going 3 and out. We may have to mix in the pass some to keep the ground game going but we do need to focus on running the ball for sure.

TXDawg
09-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Wasn't it the Florida game a couple of years ago when we only threw the ball once in the second half?

I think Dan has shown he can commit to the run. The only question is whether or not he will this week.

maroonmania
09-18-2014, 11:06 AM
If we have to run Dak 50 times to win this game....we should. And Dak would tell you the same thing. Our two biggest weapons are Dak and JRob. We may have to go Jackie Sherrill on them, and run it 20 times, then play action and throw one deep to keep them honest, over and over. Whatever it takes to keep our ground game going. We will not win this game if our balance is 60/40 run in my opinion. It will probably have to be more like 75/25 or even 80/20. If it's less than 65% run, we are probably playing catch up or came in with a bad game plan.

Hopefully Dan played the way he did to keep our starters fresh but if I see too much Griffin, Shumpert and Holloway in this game I won't be happy. Dak and JRob need the lion's share of the carries.

HoopsDawg
09-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Wasn't it the Florida game a couple of years ago when we only threw the ball once in the second half?

I think Dan has shown he can commit to the run. The only question is whether or not he will this week.

Yep, we used a fullback then, but we totally committed to the run. UF couldn't move the ball on our defense. We are going to get stuffed at times vs LSU running the bal,l but we have to stay with it. It's important not to give up big plays on special teams or have turnovers. That will force us to abandon the run and the game could get ugly. We have to play a clean game.

gtowndawg
09-18-2014, 11:09 AM

I just have a bad feeling we're going to get stuffed in the run game leaving us with 3 and outs or long 3rd down conversions. Completing passes will be huge, huge, huge for us.

Who knows. Nothing left to talk about now. "Nothing to it but to do it" as they say....

shoeless joe
09-18-2014, 11:09 AM

Fairly certain we didn't pass a single time after halftime.

gtowndawg
09-18-2014, 11:12 AM
but don't forget their kicker got hurt and the punter was kicking field goals. He missed two of them including the game winner.

We still deserved to win that game, I think we were the better team. But if they had their regular kicker, I'm not sure we could have simply run the clock out with no passing. I think we would have had to score at least one more time.

Bullmutt
09-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Throwing the ball early will lose this game for us. Mullen knows that LSU's DL is their weakest part of their defense (if any part is actually weak). We need to control the clock, RTGDF and go into halftime with either the lead or close. Our defense has to really step up though. If our defense plays this game like they did against Alabama last year, we'll win.

^^^This!

Goat Holder
09-18-2014, 12:57 PM
My call is that if Bear has 100 yards we win if either Dak or Jrob have 100 as well.

I see it differently. Stats or no stats, the winner will be the team that makes those crucial plays. It's all on the players. Mullen has about done all the coaching he can. Players gotta play.

This game has the makings of one of those types where stats are there but points are not. Most frustrating losses of all. We need to finish.

blacklistedbully
09-18-2014, 01:12 PM
I will admit I am really nervous about Dak throwing a key INT or 2 this weekend. He got away with a few versus USM, UAB & USA. LSU's DB's are on an entirely other planet compared to those guys. Those earlier "near misses" we experienced versus the first 3 could very easily turn into 7-21 points against LSU.

I really hope it was just a case of Dak finding his rhythm and/or groove, and perhaps conservative sets that made it easier for the previous secondaries than it will for LSU's. To me, we need Dak to be a threat to pass without the poor choices he made a few times so far. Don't get me wrong, I'm very high on Dak. I'm just a little worried about his passing so far this year.

Coach34
09-18-2014, 01:20 PM
RTGDF and take your shots for big plays in the passing game. Get Bear in the slot and get those CB's off of him. Bear and MoJo running the slot in a doubles set would be ideal to me. LSU has guys that can run to keep up with Tubby- but having guys to match-up with those two in the middle of the field is a lot tougher.

Commit it to the run and take your shots every now and then in the passing game.

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2014, 01:32 PM
I don't understand why MSU fans are scared of anything in this game. They've beaten us 14 straight times and 21 of 22. WTF do we have to lose? I'm not worried about this game because I know the worst thing that can happen is we leave BR 3-1 going into an off week.

Stop being scared like little feudle serfs. Let's just show, lay it all out there, and whip their ass. Stop worrying about what could go wrong an celebrate what may go right.

blacklistedbully
09-18-2014, 01:40 PM
I don't understand why MSU fans are scared of anything in this game. They've beaten us 14 straight times and 21 of 22. WTF do we have to lose? I'm not worried about this game because I know the worst thing that can happen is we leave BR 3-1 going into an off week.

Stop being scared like little feudle serfs. Let's just show, lay it all out there, and whip their ass. Stop worrying about what could go wrong an celebrate what may go right.

Shotgun, I like you, but you can seriously kiss my ass on this one. Your "scared like feudal serfs" BS is just that...BS.

I suspect most of us who are "nervous" or "concerned" are thus because we have felt this is potentially one of our best teams ever, and quite possibly our best chance since WWII to actually win the SEC. To be sure, it's sure feels like, if Mullen can't do it this year, then the chance of him EVER doing it are slim at best.

We are nervous because, if we lose to LSU, we are behind the 8-ball in our quest to be a legit SEC contender. Frankly, it could be argued that your approach is more the "feudal serf" one, as you come across as already willing to accept your fate, or think we have, "little to lose". We have a great deal to lose if you're one who believes this could be our year.

Reason2succeed
09-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Mullen will be looking to get mismatches like our WR and TEs against their LBs and safeties. Dak will be cut loose to make plays when needed. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I believe we pull the upset going away. Don't tell our team but this is an overrated LSU. MSU 31-10

HancockCountyDog
09-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa - I think we are all missing the most crucial issue in this thread.

Isn't it Tightey Whities. I mean, have I been saying it wrong all of these years?

HancockCountyDog
09-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Shotgun, I like you, but you can seriously kiss my ass on this one. Your "scared like feudal serfs" BS is just that...BS.

I suspect most of us who are "nervous" or "concerned" are thus because we have felt this is potentially one of our best teams ever, and quite possibly our best chance since WWII to actually win the SEC. To be sure, it's sure feels like, if Mullen can't do it this year, then the chance of him EVER doing it are slim at best.

We are nervous because, if we lose to LSU, we are behind the 8-ball in our quest to be a legit SEC contender. Frankly, it could be argued that your approach is more the "feudal serf" one, as you come across as already willing to accept your fate, or think we have, "little to lose". We have a great deal to lose if you're one who believes this could be our year.

I have to agree with this guy. We have a lot to lose. The problem is that most of our fans don't want to accept the fact that we have the talent on this year's team to be SEC title contenders. This doesn't happen every year - but it is happening this year. We had the same issue in 2010 when we had SEC title talent on defense - but simply didn't have the weapons on offense. That isn't the issue this year.

For those of you not willing to put all the chips in and commit to realizing that we are legit SEC title contenders, I really can't help you. We have a lot to play for and a lot to lose.

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2014, 02:26 PM

Make sure your hands don't shake so much that you can't get those prunes in your mouth.

blacklistedbully
09-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Make sure your hands don't shake so much that you can't get those prunes in your mouth.

??? Not getting what you're inferring.