PDA

View Full Version : Pete Roussel Outlines his most critical thing to watch in our game.

Miss. Stake
09-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Pete Roussel (one of my favorite columnists) says this about what he sees as a critical factor for a Bulldog victory

"Keep an eye on the sideline procedure of Mississippi State this weekend in Baton Rouge. Dan Mullen calls the plays for the Bulldogs, but with the departure of former offensive coordinator Les Koenning to Texas, the Bulldogs' offense is more of one-voice. Mullen called the plays last season, but Koenning was the veteran coach in the booth who could aid in game management. Wide receivers coach Billy Gonzales and offensive line coach John Hevesy each received co-coordinator titles during the off-season, but Mullen is undoubtedly in charge of the offense and both Gonzales and Hevesy are on the sidelines on game day. One voice can mean one vision and when the vision comes from a play-caller who has achieved two BCS national championships and another undefeated season, it?s can be a great formula as long as the game management isn?t compromised. Mullen?s championship achievements came with Urban Meyer managing timeouts and managing the clock. On Saturday night, Mullen will be responsible for both tasks, and let?s be honest, it?s not an easy task to call plays and manage the clock simultaneously. In the SEC, Gus Malzahn is truly the only head coach that calls every play and manages the clock. Spurrier Jr. helps Spurrier calls plays and Dan Werner calls the third-down plays for Ole Miss, which allows Hugh Freeze to think more about clock management. Saturday night?s game could come down to whichever team can control the clock late in the game."

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/Sideline-procedure-3-things-to-watch-on-Saturday-31256267

TL;DR-- Dan is taking on a LOT of sideline responsibility. Can he handle it under the lights at Tiger Stadium?

Johnson85
09-18-2014, 09:42 AM
So if Mulen, Gonzales, and Hevesy are all on the sidelines, who the hell is in the press box? The QB coach?

bluelightstar
09-18-2014, 10:01 AM
So if Mulen, Gonzales, and Hevesy are all on the sidelines, who the hell is in the press box? The QB coach?

yes, Brian Johnson is

Bully041184
09-18-2014, 10:09 AM

TL;DR-- Dan is taking on a LOT of sideline responsibility. Can he handle it under the lights at Tiger Stadium?

How long does it take HF to brush those pearly whites?

FlabLoser
09-18-2014, 10:13 AM
My goldfish can manage the clock better than Les Miles.

AROB44
09-18-2014, 10:48 AM
My goldfish can manage the clock better than Les Miles.

But he still wins. Hopefully not Sat night however.

maroonmania
09-18-2014, 10:54 AM

So this guy is telling me that Gonzales and Hevesy, who have been with Dan forever, give him no assistance in any game managing on game day? And that doesn't even consider Johnson up in the booth. If they are not helping on situational issues on game day then the OC titles they have are a joke.

Reason2succeed
09-18-2014, 11:01 AM
So this guy is telling me that Gonzales and Hevesy, who have been with Dan forever, give him no assistance in any game managing on game day? And that doesn't even consider Johnson up in the booth. If they are helping on situation issues on game day then the OC titles they have are a joke.

Exactly. Dude is give Les Koennig WAY more credit than he deserves. If game management falls apart because Les is no longer in the box then Mullen has been stealing money for six years. I think that play calling should be more instinctive and more gutsy since it is coming from one person.

RougeDawg
09-18-2014, 11:06 AM
How long does it take HF to brush those pearly whites?

How long we going to let this BearShart hang around on here?

Dawgdom
09-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Hire a game clock manager...

HAIL STATE BOYEEE

Miss. Stake
09-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Posing legitimate questions and I'm now a "BearShart"

Dawgfan77
09-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Rousell is a black bear. He knows we have a special team and he knows his beloved bears are paper thin top ten team

Bully041184
09-18-2014, 12:37 PM

This is the second time you've called me out. Look through my posting history on this board--it will make it very clear I'm all dawg. I'ts pretty pathetic that you couldn't read through the scarsasm that I was attempting to call out the poster with the name "Miss Stake" with a hugh freeze dig.

Maybe you should take the day off as bear troll police.

ETA
I'm pretty sure I'd be banned a long time ago if I were ruffling that many feathers. I appreciate the ED site and enjoy what it has to offer.

TrapGame
09-18-2014, 12:48 PM
So, Dan won't take any game management advice from Hevesy or Gonzales? Is Pete implying that Dan is too hard headed or arrogant to let his staff aid him on game decisions? I think Pete may be way off on this article. I think Dan is more than capable of being the head shot caller and clock reader at the same time.

RougeDawg
09-18-2014, 12:49 PM
This is the second time you've called me out. Look through my posting history on this board--it will make it very clear I'm all dawg. I'ts pretty pathetic that you couldn't read through the scarsasm that I was attempting to call out the poster with the name "Miss Stake" with a hugh freeze dig.

Maybe you should take the day off as bear troll police.

ETA
I'm pretty sure I'd be banned a long time ago if I were ruffling that many feathers. I appreciate the ED site and enjoy what it has to offer.

How was you post relevant to anything in this thread? Brushing Bucky's teeth is irrelevant and bear-like. Therefore I said troll alert. It's not rocket science. Your posts smell of bear shit so I called a spade a spade.

RougeDawg
09-18-2014, 12:50 PM

My reply was to the bear troll bully041184.

MSUDawg4Life
09-18-2014, 12:52 PM

That wasn't a legitimate question ... and ... you know ... they say hit dogs holler. Or is that hit Bear Sharts in your case?

Dawgtini
09-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Exactly. Dude is give Les Koennig WAY more credit than he deserves. If game management falls apart because Les is no longer in the box then Mullen has been stealing money for six years. I think that play calling should be more instinctive and more gutsy since it is coming from one person.
The way I read it, he is saying exactly that "play calling should be more instinctive and more gutsy since it is coming from one person." He is only saying that now he has to do it and manage the clock without Les to assist. I would think BJ in the booth can help with that.

Bully041184
09-18-2014, 01:27 PM
How was you post relevant to anything in this thread? Brushing Bucky's teeth is irrelevant and bear-like. Therefore I said troll alert. It's not rocket science. Your posts smell of bear shit so I called a spade a spade.
Honestly, how is making a bucky teeth joke bear like? Shit man the original thread seemed fishy to me and that's why I originally posted to "miss stake" but of course bear police sniffed out another troll!!! Somebody get RougeDawg his merit badge! He's all over.

Give me a break dude; we both have better things to do than fighting each other--we're both on the same side.

basedog
09-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Clock management is the least of our concerns. JWS didn't call plays and we had a bunch clocl problems as did Croom who didn't do nothing! Butch Johnson is in Dan's ear and understands play calling.