PDA

View Full Version : 11 more games and the Greek tragedy that is the Braves is over for a while

starkvegasdawg
09-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Quite obvious they have already mailed it in this season. The whole team from the coaches on down. I was hoping my prediction opening day that they would be around a .500 ballclub this season was going to be wrong but sadly, it looks to be about their best case scenario. 11 to play and one game under .500.

Be interesting to see what moves are made this off season. Who goes, who stays, and who is brought in.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Wren, fredi, and walker all gone IMO

They'll try and move bj and cj. Doubt there are any takers.

Should try and move jup IMO. They won't resign him and he could pull a lot.

Gattis has been out for 2 weeks with "strep throat". Really got me wondering if he's back on the sauce.

I'd try and move gattis also. Turn the reigns over to bethancourt

Simmons should be shut down right now and work exclusively on his swing. Winter ball with a good hitting coach should be required not suggested.

I'd resign jhey.

I've watched every game. It's been extremely painful lately, but I think this will help the team get better. A wildcard game (loss) would save fredi and wren

Oh and look for peraza to be opening day 2b and leadoff hitter. Think he'll make us better immediately. Bc of this, I'd try and move lastella

Cut doumit and pena

starkvegasdawg
09-17-2014, 09:06 AM
You think they'll fire Fredi? Not saying he doesn't deserve it. I'm just not so sure they pull the trigger on him. He did take them to the playoffs last year. I figured that would buy him an extra season at least. But, if they show Wren the door then the new guy may want to make a change at the coaching level too. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the next three weeks or so bring.

dawgs
09-17-2014, 09:41 AM
If I were y'all, I wouldn't move la Stella. He's got like 6 years of team control and at worst can be a decent super utility guy, while still developing the next couple of years at a dirt cheap salary. He doesn't have enough upside to bring any real talent either.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 09:43 AM
If I were y'all, I wouldn't move la Stella. He's got like 6 years of team control and at worst can be a decent super utility guy, while still developing the next couple of years at a dirt cheap salary. He doesn't have enough upside to bring any real talent either.

He only plays 2b. Gosselin can play ss, 2b, ss, and lf. I'd much rather keep him. Oh and he's faster than lastella and better at 2b

The Croom Diaries
09-17-2014, 09:54 AM
You may think Fredi and Wren should go, but I would be absolutely shocked if they do. I've been watching the Braves closely for 25 years and that's just not how they do business. They might fire the hitting coach but that's it. Braves are like the Steelers - extremely loyal if you've had some success before, they will keep you around.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2014, 09:58 AM
7, you have an irrational man crush on J-Hey. I'd deal him in a heartbeat. Other than D, he isn't an elite talent, but he's fooled most of baseball into thinking he is. I cash in on that perception for a serious return.

We're going to give away BJ, whatever it takes. I expect CJ will return. No way in hell we will, or should, deal Gattis. Bethancourt isn't ready to hit at this level.

I'd definitely get rid of Wren. Fredi & Walker get a pass. You don't lose 2 of your top 3 pitchers in spring training and expect to be competitive, but we were for most of the season. I know Fredi does some stupid stuff, but he's not nearly the idiot most of our fans seem to think he is, either.

The Croom Diaries
09-17-2014, 10:10 AM
I agree WMD. I though Fredi did a great job with the team last year. They can't hit, I'm not sure what Fredi could do about it. I'm indifferent about Wren. 80% of his moves are good but he has of course made some horrible costly moves that may be worthy of bring fired.

The Braves served their purpose for me this year. They were enjoyable enough to watch for 4+ months until football season. Unless they have a decent chance to win in October I'd rather them not take away from my football time with me worrying over a playoff race/games.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 10:39 AM
7, you have an irrational man crush on J-Hey. I'd deal him in a heartbeat. Other than D, he isn't an elite talent, but he's fooled most of baseball into thinking he is. I cash in on that perception for a serious return.

We're going to give away BJ, whatever it takes. I expect CJ will return. No way in hell we will, or should, deal Gattis. Bethancourt isn't ready to hit at this level.

I'd definitely get rid of Wren. Fredi & Walker get a pass. You don't lose 2 of your top 3 pitchers in spring training and expect to be competitive, but we were for most of the season. I know Fredi does some stupid stuff, but he's not nearly the idiot most of our fans seem to think he is, either.

Our pitching has been been fine. We haven't lost bc we lost medlen and beachy. We've lost bc we can't hit. We've lost bc fredi and walker keep letting Simmons swing like a 12 year old at the local park. We've lost bc fredi keeps doing dumb stuff like batting Simmons 2nd, not bunting runners over when cj (the dp machine) has runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs, leaving starters in too long, always seeming to choose the wrong reliever, showing no fire, continuing to PH with doumit, and we've lost bc this team quit on fredi... Fredi has to go

Oh and fredi always seems to have us playing our worst at the end of the season. Check out September records for this year and 2 years ago

dawgs
09-17-2014, 10:41 AM
He only plays 2b. Gosselin can play ss, 2b, ss, and lf. I'd much rather keep him. Oh and he's faster than lastella and better at 2b

I'd bet he could learn to play 3B and corner OF. I don't think he's a great player, but I think he could be a cheap decent utility guy, and trading him won't bring anything of substance back.

MS_half-step
09-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Peraza, La Stella, and Gosselin are all the same player...meh

Light hitting 2B are just what this teams needs.

I'd blow up the whole roster. Freeman is way overpaid, I think we all can officially see what Jhey now is. There is really not one position player on this team worth a damn. And sad thing is that they are all locked up now.

IMHO Wren has got to go.

trob115
09-17-2014, 11:01 AM
IMO, we won't see LaStella traded this off season due to the fact that he's a great role player. Having LaStella and Gosselin at your platoon 2B position is a good thing. I am not sure we see Peraza on the opening day roster just yet. I want him to be the leadoff hitter and starting at 2b, but not sure the braves are ready to do that. I think Fredi, Frank, and Greg Walker will all be shown the door. Braves have recently hired John Hart as a senior adviser and there seems to be a lot of smoke in the front office that a major turnover is going to happen. Just check out what Mark Bowman and David O'Brian are saying about it.

Gattis is more than likely going to be traded this off season to an AL club that needs a power bat. Lots of teams will be interested and we should be able to haul in a good chunk for him. JUP, BJ, and CJ will also be put on the trade market. JUP isn't going to resign with us, so I imagine we will see what we can get for him. This winter should be a busy one for the Braves as they have to "rebuild" if you will, and get ready to open a new park in 2 years.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Peraza, La Stella, and Gosselin are all the same player...meh

Light hitting 2B are just what this teams needs.

I'd blow up the whole roster. Freeman is way overpaid, I think we all can officially see what Jhey now is. There is really not one position player on this team worth a damn. And sad thing is that they are all locked up now.

IMHO Wren has got to go.

Peraza is a plus defender with base stealing ability and can hit. He is far superior to gosselin and lastella

dawgs
09-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Freeman is way overpaid

He's the same player he was last year, with less RBIs due to the OBP of guys in front of him. His avg is still good, though slightly lower, mainly because a .372 BABIP from last year is unsustainable for a guy without high end speed. He's still got a 4+ WAR, still only 25, and is making a reasonable salary given his WAR. Generally teams pay ~$6-7M per win above replacement (WAR) on the market. The braves have freeman locked up through his entire prime at an avg of $16.875M/season. You can expect at worse he maintains being roughly a 4 WAR player through the life of the contract. Based on estimates, a 4 WAR player is worth ~$25/season on the open market (on top of signing a 4 WAR replacement player would necessitate signing an older player that's far more likely to decline through the life of te contract than signing a homegrown talent long term like freeman). Obviously things like WAR are inexact, but it definitely paints a fair picture of a player's value, especially with the bat (and unlike heyward, Freeman's WAR is bat driven, not the iffy defensive metrics behind heyward's WAR).

Braves have a lot of holes, but bitching about freeman just seems ignorant and short sighted. If you have a problem with the contract, you just have a problem with the realities of sports salaries in 2014, but if the braves think freeman is overpaid, there's 29 other teams that will gladly take him off their hands and absorb that contract because reality is it's a great deal.

MS_half-step
09-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Peraza is a plus defender with base stealing ability and can hit. He is far superior to gosselin and lastella

We'll see. If I remember correctly you were all over La Stella when he first came up too. He'll get figured out like all the Braves "elite, can't miss prospects" and fail to make the necessary adjustments.

MS_half-step
09-17-2014, 11:19 AM
He's the same player he was last year, with less RBIs due to the OBP of guys in front of him. His avg is still good, though slightly lower, mainly because a .372 BABIP from last year is unsustainable for a guy without high end speed. He's still got a 4+ WAR, still only 25, and is making a reasonable salary given his WAR. Generally teams pay ~$6-7M per win above replacement (WAR) on the market. The braves have freeman locked up through his entire prime at an avg of $16.875M/season. You can expect at worse he maintains being roughly a 4 WAR player through the life of the contract. Based on estimates, a 4 WAR player is worth ~$25/season on the open market (on top of signing a 4 WAR replacement player would necessitate signing an older player that's far more likely to decline through the life of te contract than signing a homegrown talent long term like freeman). Obviously things like WAR are inexact, but it definitely paints a fair picture of a player's value, especially with the bat (and unlike heyward, Freeman's WAR is bat driven, not the iffy defensive metrics behind heyward's WAR).

Braves have a lot of holes, but bitching about freeman just seems ignorant and short sighted. If you have a problem with the contract, you just have a problem with the realities of sports salaries in 2014, but if the braves think freeman is overpaid, there's 29 other teams that will gladly take him off their hands and absorb that contract because reality is it's a great deal.

I don't have a problem with the contract, I have a problem with his performance.

ScoobaDawg
09-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Im not a braves fan so havent been paying attention, last i knew they were on fire and playing well.. then i went to the rangers game vs them on sunday and saw a butt kicking from a horrible rangers team. just wow.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 11:30 AM
We'll see. If I remember correctly you were all over La Stella when he first came up too. He'll get figured out like all the Braves "elite, can't miss prospects" and fail to make the necessary adjustments.

Lastella has never been a great prospect unless you compare him to uggla. Comparing him to uggla is why "I was all over him"

Don't get me wrong. I like lastella, but if he wants to be a brave he has to play more than one position. Peraza is the future 2b

shoeless joe
09-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Fredi is definitely the anti-Cohen...worst ball at the end.

JHey is not elite. I like him but not as a top tier player we depend on for big #s

Freddie is good. Very good.

What this team has lacked is leadership from gamers. Not a surprising this shitty year came right after we got rid of great leaders and character guys in Hudson and McCann.

MS_half-step
09-17-2014, 11:55 AM

JHey is not elite. I like him but not as a top tier player we depend on for big #s

What this team has lacked is leadership from gamers. Not a surprising this shitty year came right after we traded great leaders and character guys in Hudson and McCann.

Technically the Braves didn't trade them, they left via free agency. But I do agree the team lacks player leadership.

shoeless joe
09-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Technically the Braves didn't trade them, they left via free agency. But I do agree the team lacks player leadership.

Correct. I fixed it.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2014, 12:12 PM

What this team has lacked is leadership from gamers. Not a surprising this shitty year came right after we traded great leaders and character guys in Hudson and McCann.

It may have hurt leadership, but it was the right decision to let McCann walk. The Yankees wayyyy overpaid him for his production at this point in his career. His average is way down and will continue to plummet. He still has some power, but that will start to decline soon, too.

Letting Huddy walk was dumb. I know we wanted to get younger, but I'd much rather have him than Harang or Floyd. Yet another in the long line of mistakes for Wren.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 12:16 PM
It may have hurt leadership, but it was the right decision to let McCann walk. The Yankees wayyyy overpaid him for his production at this point in his career. His average is way down and will continue to plummet. He still has some power, but that will start to decline soon, too.

Letting Huddy walk was dumb. I know we wanted to get younger, but I'd much rather have him than Harang or Floyd. Yet another in the long line of mistakes for Wren.

Agree with this.

shoeless joe
09-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Completely agree. I was speaking more to the fact that they lost leaders without gaining any than whether or not it was the correct business decision.

dawgs
09-17-2014, 12:35 PM
I don't have a problem with the contract, I have a problem with his performance.

His offensive skills are the same as they ever were. Don't get caught up looking at the RBIs, which is driven by opportunities, not necessarily "skill". You can have the most skillful hitter in the world and he's not going to have a bunch of RBIs if no one is on base for him to drive in. Freeman benefited from a ridiculous BABIP of .372 last year, which is pretty unsustainable for a slower runner (and this year he's still got a BABIP of .351 or something, which is very very good), so accordingly his average has dropped a little bit, but it's still a very good .291. Finally his RBIs were also helped last year by a completely and utterly unsustainable avg with RISP or like .450 or something ridiculous.

Don't let natural variations and luck color your perception of a player's skill set. There's going to be fluctuations in every hitter from season to season. Freeman is the same hitter he was last year.

But as a nats fan, we'd gladly take Freeman's contract to be the long term replacement for laroche.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Completely agree. I was speaking more to the fact that they lost leaders without gaining any than whether or not it was the correct business decision.

No doubt. And that's another reason to question the big contracts Wren doled out in the offseason. Freeman's production is great, but he doesn't strike me as the leader you build around and pay mega money. Simba might be the best defensive SS of all time, but he doesn't hit much and isn't really a leader himself. CJ - Dubya. Tee. Eff.

J-Hey *could* have been that guy, but he doesn't care enough, it appears.

If it were up to me, I get rid of BJ, J-Hey, La Stella, and CJ. I'd shop Hale, too. See if anyone has seen enough from him to bite. It sucks that we let Schafer go, but I think both parties needed the change of scenery. I do what it takes to get a deal done with J-Up, move Gosselin to 3B, and hand Peraza the 2B job. Blow up the bench entirely. No Laird, Doumit, or Pena. I also want to see us re-sign Ervin Santana. We need him as Medlen/Beachy insurance. No one knows what they'll be like when they get back since so few have ever tried to come back after a 2nd TJ.

I really like Gattis. Maybe we could send him back down and try to convert him to a 1B. That would give us some flexibility to move Freeman if he doesn't step up in a leadership role. I'd at least listen to offers for both he & Gattis, though. Maybe someone would be willing to sell the farm to get one of them. I think Bethancourt is Simba 2.0 as opposed to Yadi Molina or Salvadore Perez. Defensive stud that won't hit much.

Bottom line, it's time for the Braves to nuke Wren and the lineup. Radical changes have to happen to be legit title contenders again as opposed to the annual playoff chokers. If that means moving some big names like a Freeman, so be it. The only guys that would be untouchable for me are Teheran, Kimbrel, and maybe J-Up.

dawgs
09-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Freeman is 25. Give him a chance to grow into a leader.

It's pretty hilarious to me that, as a nats fan, I was trying to tell some of y'all last year that freeman wasn't the best young player in baseball this side of mike trout, and now this year, I'm trying to tell y'all that freeman is not the problem and his contract is a very reasonable contract for his skill set, the kinda production he provides, and his age.

Braves' fans overreacting much?

shoeless joe
09-17-2014, 03:06 PM

It's pretty hilarious to me that, as a nats fan, I was trying to tell some of y'all last year that freeman wasn't the best young player in baseball this side of mike trout, and now this year, I'm trying to tell y'all that freeman is not the problem and his contract is a very reasonable contract for his skill set, the kinda production he provides, and his age.

Maybe some other fans but not this one. I'm a huge freeman supporter. I think he is Fred mcgriff made over, but only time will tell.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Overreact how?

You think fredi, wren, and walker should still be employed by the braves?

You think Simmons swing is fine?

Should keep cj and bj around?

I'm sure as a nat fan, you'd like us to stand pat with this team. That way werth could win his 7th of last 9 nl east titles.

dawgs
09-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Overreact how?

You think fredi, wren, and walker should still be employed by the braves?

You think Simmons swing is fine?

Should keep cj and bj around?

I'm sure as a nat fan, you'd like us to stand pat with this team. That way werth could win his 7th of last 9 nl east titles.

Reread what I said and who I said it about. I haven't said anything positive about any of the guys you listed. But good luck finding a bj taker that doesn't result in y'all either packaging him with a young talent with team control years like minor or eating a very large chunk of his contract for him to play elsewhere.

I've only commented on the comments about shopping freeman and how he's overpaid and hasn't performed this year and not a leader yadda yadda yadda.

And I guess to a lesser extent la Stella in that I think he can be a fine utility guy (learning to play 3B and corner OF is obviously necessary to be that) and his cost is minimal, and because he's relatively low ceiling, he's not likely to being much in return. So he's likely more valuable with the braves than what he'd bring on the trading block, especially when you consider you'd have to then sign another veteran (more expensive) utility guy.

BoomBoom
09-17-2014, 03:38 PM

His BABIP is .352. And his walks are up. pretty sure you predicted the opposite of that.

dawgs
09-17-2014, 03:40 PM
His BABIP is .352. And his walks are up. pretty sure you predicted the opposite of that.

Huh? Your comment makes no sense with regards to the post you quoted. I predicted his walks to fall? Don't remember that. I probably said his BABIP would fall from the .372 of 2013 and it did. I still think .352 is pretty high, but at this point you gotta just chalk freeman up as a guy that'll have a high BABIP regardless of his speed.

BoomBoom
09-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Reread what I said and who I said it about. I haven't said anything positive about any of the guys you listed. But good luck finding a bj taker that doesn't result in y'all either packaging him with a young talent with team control years like minor or eating a very large chunk of his contract for him to play elsewhere.

I've only commented on the comments about shopping freeman and how he's overpaid and hasn't performed this year and not a leader yadda yadda yadda.

And I guess to a lesser extent la Stella in that I think he can be a fine utility guy (learning to play 3B and corner OF is obviously necessary to be that) and his cost is minimal, and because he's relatively low ceiling, he's not likely to being much in return. So he's likely more valuable with the braves than what he'd bring on the trading block, especially when you consider you'd have to then sign another veteran (more expensive) utility guy.

BJ will likely be swapped for a starter with an overpriced contract. The Braves lose Santana and Harang from the current rotation, Floyd will be a FA, and Medlen will likely be non-tendered. not sure about Beachy. and there is no one in AAA ready to make the jump. might as well take on someone that their pitching staff might can fix.

i think 2B will be competed in ST.

dawgs
09-17-2014, 03:50 PM
BJ will likely be swapped for a starter with an overpriced contract. The Braves lose Santana and Harang from the current rotation, Floyd will be a FA, and Medlen will likely be non-tendered. not sure about Beachy. and there is no one in AAA ready to make the jump. might as well take on someone that their pitching staff might can fix.

i think 2B will be competed in ST.

So trade one bad contract for another? Sounds like a great plan.

Really Clark?
09-17-2014, 05:14 PM

I would agree it's not a great plan but if you are going to move BJ it's a likely scenario unless you come up with a package or eat a significant part of his salary.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Chances of braves fixing a pitcher much greater than hitter. Harang good example

dawgs
09-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Chances of braves fixing a pitcher much greater than hitter. Harang good example

That probably depends on what y'all do about the coaching staff.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 06:28 PM
That probably depends on what y'all do about the coaching staff.

Roger must be retained at all costs. He's a great pitching coach.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2014, 06:28 PM

It's not about production for me with Freeman. As others pointed out, his average is fine and his power is still there. It's the intangibles. He just doesn't strike me as a leader. Some guys just are, and it's obvious early on. Look at McCann. Even back when he first came up, you could see the leadership qualities. Same for Chipper.

But the reason I'd at least listen to offers for Freeman is because he's about the only bat we have that will command a big haul. Do we keep one guy or do we accept that the franchise needs to be reinvigorated? If we accept that we need reinvigorating, who's going to bring us the most bang for a deal? I'd say Freeman, because he's such a good hitter. And his D is highly underrated, too. It's a shame he hasn't been in the Gold Glove discussion yet.

Like I said before, we've got to do some serious soul searching as an organization if we want to get back to being a legit contender. That, and find a way to get the team sold to Arthur Blank, which is who should've gotten the team when Time Warner sold to Liberty. We need an owner who actually gives a damn about the team beyond being a tax shelter and is wiling to spend money to compete. Until the organization is willing to have a serious look in the mirror, all of this is irrelevant. We'll just continue to be a team that hopes to win the division and chokes in the first round of the playoffs every season.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Roger must be retained at all costs. He's a great pitching coach.

I'm not that worried if we let McDowell walk. He's great, but we all worried when Mazzone left. We just replaced him with McDowell. I'm willing to bet we'd replace McDowell just as easily. Braves are great at finding pitching coaches.

dawgs
09-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Freeman's defensive metrics aren't great (pretty much middle of the pack). I know they are a bit flawed, but they give a general idea of where a guy ranks relative his peers.

That said, you gotta build around someone, I'd let freeman be your core and trade j-upton, who should bring a nice haul of young bats. If in a few years, y'all aren't looking like contenders over the next few seasons, then trade freeman. Given his age and contract, he'd still bring a huge haul in a few years.

(McCann and chipper are 2 huge douchebags. Like others in the south I grew up watching the braves as they got good just in time for me to really start understanding the game. I loved those maddux, smoltz, bream, mcgriff, justice, gant, pendleton, etc teams, but when chipper and later McCann came up, they just rubbed me the wrong way and triggered the beginning of the end of me caring about the braves. Fast forward a few years and I spend 5 years in DC watching and going to a bunch of nats games every season and watching the team grow from basically an expansion roster to a contender and became a fan.)

msstate7
09-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Anyone still supporting fredi? Watch a little of the game tonight

Nats aaa team 1
Braves 0. 7th inning

If you can't get your big league team to show enough pride to beat a team with only backups playing, you should be fired after the 3rd out in the bottom of 9th.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 07:37 PM
8:36 PM
David Cameron ?@DCameronFG 6m
No one?s job should be decided by one game, but it feels like maybe Fredi Gonzalez needs to not get shutout by the Nats JV team.

msstate7
09-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Bethancourt breaks up the shutout with a big hit.

Bethancourt also threw out a base runner in top of the inning. Bethancourt has an absolute cannon

smootness
09-17-2014, 09:45 PM
I only read the first page, but Heyward leads the entire NL in WAR. The people dogging him are only doing so b/c he hasn't quite reached the mammoth expectations placed on him. The guy is a stud; he's valuable in every part of the game and still has room to get even better.

dawgs
09-17-2014, 10:24 PM
I only read the first page, but Heyward leads the entire NL in WAR. The people dogging him are only doing so b/c he hasn't quite reached the mammoth expectations placed on him. The guy is a stud; he's valuable in every part of the game and still has room to get even better.

He does?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=nl&qual=y&type=8&season=2014&month=0&season1=2014&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=21,d

And a lot of his WAR value is derived from defensive metrics. No doubt heyward is any elite defender, but they are much more difficult to accurately gauge than hitting metrics. For instance, it's pretty difficult to say heyward is that much better defensively than rendon who is also considered a very good defender, but at completely different positions.

dawgs
09-19-2014, 02:33 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/washington-nationals-masterful-roster-construction-mike-rizzo/

read up on how to build a roster braves fans

trob115
09-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Bump for the imminent dismissal of Wren and all front office personnel according to the AJC and Ken Rosenthal.

starkvegasdawg
09-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Bump for the imminent dismissal of Wren and all front office personnel according to the AJC and Ken Rosenthal.

Pretty obvious the Braves mailed the last two weeks of this season in. They are just ready to clear out and go play some golf.