PDA

View Full Version : If we don't win one of the next 3 games will we ever get over the hump??

fishwater99
09-16-2014, 11:43 AM
How do you feel about this??

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/football/2014/9/16/6151677/the-next-four-weeks-will-define-the-dan-mullen-era

"If we reach October 12th and Mississippi State sits at 3-3, ...I'll know that the 7-5 seasons and the occasional 8-4 is as good as it is probably going to get under Mullen.

All we're asking for is a win over a top ten opponent, Dan. Is that so much? While I'm sure it does seem steep, I also think the time is now or never. If MSU can't beat one of the next three teams on its schedule with the full compliment of Mullen-recruited and coached (and healthy) players, then I fear it will never happen. It's a tall order, but the landscape of the SEC West isn't going to change much for the foreseeable future. If we can't break through this season then I fear it will be four non-conference wins and Kentucky and a down team for us for the remainder of the time that Dan is the head coach.

The talent seems to be there; the coaching, the want to take that next step seems to be in place. Now we just need to see Dan and the Bulldogs go out and do it, because I'm afraid that if we don't do it before October 12th, we never will."

thf24
09-16-2014, 11:54 AM
I feel like you're worried Mullen is going to beat a top 20 team this Saturday and you'll have to find something new to obsess over.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Yes, we'll get over the hump eventually

Johnson85
09-16-2014, 11:59 AM
I feel like you're worried Mullen is going to beat a top 20 team this Saturday and you'll have to find something new to obsess over.

You're reading comprehension sucks. The goal posts have already been moved.

All we're asking for is a win over a top ten opponent, Dan. Is that so much? While I'm sure it does seem steep, I also think the time is now or never.

If we win on Saturday, LSU will fall out of the top 10 and we'll still be waiting for Dan to beat a 'real' top 10 opponent.

MadDawg
09-16-2014, 12:03 PM
All we're asking for is a win over a top ten opponent, Dan. Is that so much?

Nah, man. That's nothing. Wins over top ten teams come as easily as coeds in the stands at Tiger stadium.

shoeless joe
09-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Why are folks so eager to set a ceiling?

Was Jackie's 6th season his ceiling?

People are not as good as they can be until they are.

Goat Holder
09-16-2014, 12:10 PM
My response to this article:

...when Dan Mullen walked off that plane at the Starkville Airport (yes, Starkville has an airport), he walked into a....
Starkville has a fully jet-capable airport, and is less than 20 minutes from GTRA, which is the third biggest air carrier airport in the state. Not sure why this 'joke' continues to be made.

...that Dan Mullen the head coach is more than 7-5 and a cupcake king.
It needs to be noted that 6-8 wins at MSU is equivalent to 8-10 wins at an SEC-have school. He's proven to be a good coach who could probably get close to winning a title at say Florida or LSU. But it takes a truly great coach to take a have-not SEC school to 8-10 wins consistently. Who has actually done it? Spurrier and Petrino are all I can come up with.

I think we all want top ten wins. Too bad they are hard to come by.

Coach34
09-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Nope- we will be locked into the 6-8 win category for the rest of our natural lives

engie
09-16-2014, 12:28 PM
I just want to know what it would take for you to quit making 95% of your threads and 80% of your posts a single, simple-minded obsession over this statistic? The WHOLE fanbase is aware of Mullen's reality. Saying something obvious 100 times in a row while bringing nothing else to the table doesn't bode well for one's intelligence.

Yes, Mullen has got to win one of these 3. I agree with that premise and have all along. And when he does, I don't want to see these stupid ass weekly threads anymore.

fishwater99
09-16-2014, 01:09 PM
FYI
I didn't write the article.

My point is, that if Mullen is such a great coach, don't you think that he would have a win over a Top 20 team by year 6.
We very well could get 2 or 3 Top 20 wins this year and end the season ranked in the Top 10 if we do.
When Mullen beats a Top 20 team I will be the first to congratulate him on the win. Trust me, I can't wait..
#webelieve

maroonmania
09-16-2014, 01:11 PM
I think it likely means we won't get over the hump THIS YEAR. However every year breeds new hope so it doesn't mean we won't ever get over the hump. The talent base is generally being increased and hopefully every year Dan is getting a little better as a HC. Our only problem is it seems the SEC West teams in general keep getting better every year at the same or faster rate than we do.

engie
09-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Wow -- you actually felt the need to spell it out again. Holy.Shit.

Johnson85
09-16-2014, 01:30 PM
I just want to know what it would take for you to quit making 95% of your threads and 80% of your posts a single, simple-minded obsession over this statistic? The WHOLE fanbase is aware of Mullen's reality. Saying something obvious 100 times in a row while bringing nothing else to the table doesn't bode well for one's intelligence.

Yes, Mullen has got to win one of these 3. I agree with that premise and have all along. And when he does, I don't want to see these stupid ass weekly threads anymore.

Easy, bring back Stansbury.

Johnson85
09-16-2014, 01:31 PM
FYI
I didn't write the article.

My point is, that if Mullen is such a great coach, don't you think that he would have a win over a Top 20 team by year 6.
We very well could get 2 or 3 Top 20 wins this year and end the season ranked in the Top 10 if we do.
When Mullen beats a Top 20 team I will be the first to congratulate him on the win. Trust me, I can't wait..
#webelieve

What is Mullen's record against teams ranked from 10 through 20 and 16 through 20? Show us all the opportunities Mullen has blown to win against top 20 teams.