cheewgumm
09-16-2014, 10:28 AM
A quote I saw: "Defensively, we'll be pretty different this week."

Translation: "Chris Jones and Preston Smith will play together this week."

mstatefan91
09-16-2014, 10:30 AM

This and a lot more blitz packages. Hopefully some better coverage in the secondary as well.

BulldogDX55
09-16-2014, 10:32 AM

It just moved a little bit.

This and a lot more blitz packages. Hopefully some better coverage in the secondary as well.

Yeah, we have to have been playing fairly vanilla (Preston's pick 6 was on a zone blitz) so far this year- our blitzing scheme in the Rice game was a whole hell of a lot more varied than it has been so far this year.

TrapGame
09-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Real Translation: The straightjacket comes off the Psycho Defense.

1bigdawg
09-16-2014, 11:02 AM

Great run of phrase.+++

starkvegasdawg
09-16-2014, 11:07 AM
This may be old news but Mullen admitted in his press conference yesterday that he has not shown everything on offense or defense so far this season. So we definitely have some wrinkles on both sides of the ball we have not shown yet. I know coaches want to win every game, but I really think he wants this one bad. I think he is tired of hearing that he hasn't beaten anybody week after week after week. Say what you will about Mullen, the man has an ego the size of Texas. And I say that as a compliment. You want a coach that pisses confidence and shats cockiness. The players feed off that. But with that ego comes the pain when you haven't been able to do something that everybody is calling you out for. I think his ego has reached DEEF-CON 1 in hearing that and he will come out like his ass is on fire and his head is catching this Saturday night.

PMDawg
09-16-2014, 11:19 AM
I really hope Dan makes me eat some week 2 crow on Saturday.

TXDawg
09-16-2014, 11:24 AM

Also, if I remember correctly (and without reviewing the games), I think we've primarily played a base 4-3 defense and relied on LB's in coverage on multiple WR sets. I have a feeling that we'll see a bit more nickle & dime formations this game if LSU tries to run 3-4 WR sets. Hopefully this (and no safety help) were the reasons for the big plays for UAB. I have a feeling our secondary will be less of an issue on Saturday.

RougeDawg
09-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Also, if I remember correctly (and without reviewing the games), I think we've primarily played a base 4-3 defense and relied on LB's in coverage on multiple WR sets. I have a feeling that we'll see a bit more nickle & dime formations this game if LSU tries to run 3-4 WR sets. Hopefully this (and no safety help) were the reasons for the big plays for UAB. I have a feeling our secondary will be less of an issue on Saturday.

Don't worry. They will run max protect and try to run play action on us. They haven't been tested by a defense of our caliber and Jennings has looked shaky and indecisive under pressure from ulm and Sam Houston. They will run 2-3 we sets, mainly 2 and hope he can find an open guy. They are goin to run the ball 80% of plays early on and make us stop them. Once we do and take a lead, I expect our defense to start making some big plays. Jennings is a pocket passer completing 51% of his passes against weak competition. I fully expect us to force him to beat us, which I do not think he can.

preachermatt83
09-16-2014, 01:25 PM

wow! That's an awesome analogy! Ok so now IM PUMPED!!!

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2014, 01:25 PM
I want Collins to go Coach Yoast on LSU - "you Blitz, all night...."

borne
09-16-2014, 01:37 PM
We will live in the offensive backfield this weekend

Spider-Man
09-16-2014, 01:47 PM
I want to have the Tiger fans throwing trash on the field midway through the 3rd.

fishwater99
09-16-2014, 01:48 PM

We hope so... Got to stop that LSU rushing attack, or at least slow it down and keep them out of the endzone..

Dawgtini
09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
I want to have the Tiger fans throwing trash on the field midway through the 3rd.
If this happens, we may need those straight jackets ourselves.

War Machine Dawg
09-16-2014, 02:43 PM

Correct. We've seen little to no Nickel or Dime so far. To those paying attention, it's been pretty easy to see our plan these first three weeks has been to win with our depth and to out-athlete overmatched CUSA/Sun Belt teams. I'll be shocked if we don't look very different this week.

War Machine Dawg
09-16-2014, 02:46 PM
I want Collins to go Coach Yoast on LSU - "you Blitz, all night...."

Just for you, BD! Would kill for Collins to channel this on Saturday night. Chills....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5QXV-W5_g

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2014, 02:55 PM
WMD - One of my favorite sports movie scenes of all time! If Collins is our Yoast, who is our Petey???

DudyDawg
09-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Does that make McKinney Gerry Bertier

GreenheadDawg
09-16-2014, 02:59 PM
WMD - One of my favorite sports movie scenes of all time! If Collins is our Yoast, who is our Petey???

I would vote Redmond

War Machine Dawg
09-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Does that make McKinney Gerry Bertier

I would vote Redmond

Dunno, but I could definitely get on board with Redmond as Petey. One thing I can say with certainty: Preston Smith is our Big Julius.

BulldogBear
09-16-2014, 03:38 PM
You'd have to move Shumpert to DB to be Petey!!

JDog13
09-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Just for you, BD! Would kill for Collins to channel this on Saturday night. Chills....

As long as Collins doesn't go this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU9MBW1E_8

BulldogBear
09-16-2014, 09:36 PM

Hail Yeah!

aerodawg
09-17-2014, 12:48 AM

They played together last week. I'm pretty sure they were both in during Chris Jones's sack. I think Mullen said something to the fact that he chewed Jones's ass so hard for the penalty because it was Smith who created the pressure that made the qb run right into Jones who was being blocked.