PDA

View Full Version : RGIII Presumably Forced to Turn Shirt Inside Out For Press Conference

TheRef
09-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Sounds pretty ridiculous that the NFL/whomever made him do this, if this is indeed true. Might need to move this Politics forum, but I figured we could try it out here first. But this happened Sunday after the game.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxmyHLHCcAAUblE.jpg:large

RossDawg82
09-16-2014, 09:24 AM
We live in a shitty world my friend

Johnson85
09-16-2014, 09:24 AM
What was on his shirt?

Jacksondevildog
09-16-2014, 09:25 AM
The NFL keeps tripping on its dick. Too Big to Fail 2.0 movie coming to HBO.

msstate7
09-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Would the same thing had happened if he wore Mohammed on his shirt?

TheRef
09-16-2014, 09:28 AM
What was on his shirt?

Know Jesus, Know Peace

Some letters blacked out to also read:

No Jesus, No Peace

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2014, 09:30 AM
NFL basically has a "no slogan/no endorsement" policy for players at press conferences. Go back and look at tape of other press conferences (not just local locker room interviews). It is all about $ and protecting endorsement deals the league has, not politics. We are talking about the league that will fine you if your socks fall down. Nothing to see here....

HereComesTheSpiral
09-16-2014, 09:33 AM
NFL has been fining players for clothing not approved by the league for a while. I think a player got a $10000 fine last year because the polo emblem was visible or something.

TheRef
09-16-2014, 09:34 AM
NFL basically has a "no slogan/no endorsement" policy for players at press conferences. Go back and look at tape of other press conferences (not just local locker room interviews). It is all about $ and protecting endorsement deals the league has, not politics. We are talking about the league that will fine you if your socks fall down. Nothing to see here....

Didn't know that...just interesting to me so I decided to post it. Thanks for that, though. #TheMoreYouKnow

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2014, 09:34 AM
How would you feel is RGIII wore a shirt that said, "No Allah, No Peace, Know Allah, Know Peace"?

OR a shirt that said

"Jesus is not the son of God" ?

msstate7
09-16-2014, 09:37 AM
How would you feel is RGIII wore a shirt that said, "No Allah, No Peace, Know Allah, Know Peace"?

OR a shirt that said

I wouldn't be offended. I thought we had religious freedom

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2014, 09:37 AM
NFL has been fining players for clothing not approved by the league for a while. I think a player got a $10000 fine last year because the polo emblem was visible or something.

And the players all know it - they have regular meetings about policy for stuff like this, the uniform code, etc. So when you see it, they are usually doing it on purpose (not that there is anything wrong with it) and know what will happen.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2014, 09:38 AM

Good. Just wanted to make sure. I agree with you

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2014, 09:38 AM

OR a shirt that said

And that is another reason the NFL is so strict. It is all about the money, and limiting negative impacts and debate

Bully13
09-16-2014, 09:40 AM

Nothing to see here my ass. What do you think he was trying to promote? Bible sales?

Bully13
09-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Nothing to see here my ass. What do you think he was trying to promote? Bible sales?

dawgs
09-16-2014, 09:48 AM

Pretty much anything that's has a logo or phrase on it isn't gonna fly except team gear or official nfl gear. It's that simple. This doesn't have anything to do with Jesus and everything to do with their policy from polo logos to big johnson shirts to Jesus shirts. No need to turn this into an attack on Christianity situation.

LC Dawg
09-16-2014, 09:50 AM
And that is another reason the NFL is so strict. It is all about the money, and limiting negative impacts and debate

They seem do be doing a great job so far this year.

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Pretty much anything that's has a logo or phrase on it isn't gonna fly except team gear or official nfl gear. It's that simple. This doesn't have anything to do with Jesus and everything to do with their policy from polo logos to big johnson shirts to Jesus shirts. No need to turn this into an attack on Christianity situation.

Exactly.

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2014, 09:53 AM
They seem do be doing a great job so far this year.
That is the thing about trying to perpetuate an image that is not based in reality - eventually it makes you do dumb things, lie, or break the law to keep the image intact.

msstate7
09-16-2014, 10:01 AM

Perhaps a Jesus shirt would make the nfl look a little better than they image they've portrayed this past week

BeardoMSU
09-16-2014, 10:02 AM

I'm not offended by either the Jesus shirt, or it was a Mohammad shirt. But the NFL is a business and its just easier to nip it in the bud and take out all labels, brands, etc.

BeardoMSU
09-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Exactly, well said.

Dawgtini
09-16-2014, 10:38 AM

This

Bully13
09-16-2014, 10:55 AM

I disagree. I understand the pimping of ? for sale product ban but this is just a message. Nothing for sale. Not different than Christian athl?tes praying on the field. RG'S freedom of speech was violated.

dawgs
09-16-2014, 11:15 AM
I disagree. I understand the pimping of ? for sale product ban but this is just a message. Nothing for sale. Not different than Christian athl?tes praying on the field. RG'S freedom of speech was violated.

Mmmm might wanna read up on freedom of speech. I guarantee there's things you can say in your place of business that will get you fired (like calling your boss or the owner an asshole) and your employer will be well within their rights to terminate your employment. Rg3 is an employee of the redskins and therefore under the umbrella of nfl, it's the league policy, he simply is abiding by their rules. The nfl doesn't wanna get into drawing lines in the sand between which tshirt slogans should and shouldn't be allowed, so they are all against their policy. It has nothing to do with religion or specifically Christianity. Stop trying to turn this into an attack or Christianity.

Bully13
09-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Good point on free speech. But its Still not trying to get anybody to buy anything. His shirt wasnt hurting anything. Whoever made him flip it sucks and i consider it an attack on Christianity.

fishwater99
09-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Link

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/investigating-what-happened-rg3s-t-shirt-after-jags-win

dedawg9
09-16-2014, 11:45 AM
According to the tweet by Michael Phillips in the article he was made to flip the shirt because it was not a Nike product. So by flipping the shirt does it then become a Nike product? Confusing

dawgs
09-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Good point on free speech. But its Still not trying to get anybody to buy anything. His shirt wasnt hurting anything. Whoever made him flip it sucks and i consider it an attack on Christianity.

And what if the shirt said "satan 666" on it? Is that an attack on satan?

What if it said "9/11 was an inside job"? Is that an attack on 9/11 truthers?

The point is that the league doesn't wanna get into this shit every week, and so eliminating all the slogans is an easier and less pothole-filled policy than allowing the league to tell some players to flip their shirts around and letting others go wear it normally. Instead of leaving it up to a subjective standard of the player and league official on hand, they just make it an objective standard because it's easier to enforce and limits the likelihood of the league being accused of discrimination when an official in St. Louis allows a guy to wear a Jesus shirt, but an official in buffalo forces a player to flip a Muslim shirt inside out. Or racism when an official in San Diego allows a player to wear a Reagan shirt, but an official in Dallas forces a player to turn a MLK shirt inside out. It's much easier to tell league officials to tell players to flip all shirts inside out if there's a message like that than to allow them to make subjective judgments.

dawgs
09-16-2014, 11:48 AM
According to the tweet by Michael Phillips in the article he was made to flip the shirt because it was not a Nike product. So by flipping the shirt does it then become a Nike product? Confusing

Nike makes the official redskins gear. As I said earlier, players are generally supposed to wear logo-less clothes or official team/league gear to post-game press conferences. End of story.

dawgs
09-16-2014, 11:51 AM
To make clear, I'd expect Kerrigan to either get a small fine or a reprimand and warning for not wearing the proper attire too. Though I wonder if he might be ok since the logo wasn't visible from the podium (at least in the pic in that article), and whether visibility from behind the podium makes a difference.

ckDOG
09-16-2014, 12:00 PM
On one hand, I don't care because my own employer would do the same thing to cover their ass. Why should RG3 be treated any different? On the other hand, people are too damn sensitive these days. Quit finding inconsequential trivial crap to be offended about. It's a t shirt. Worry about players beating their wives and children instead is a piece of clothing.