PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America weighs in

Coach34
05-24-2013, 02:34 PM
"Indiana ranks 14th in the RPI—no small feat for a Big Ten team—and owns a 9-8 record against the top 50 and a 13-10 record against the top 100. The Hoosiers have more top 50 wins than Oregon (6-10) and UCLA (5-8), and considerably fewer series losses (one) than Mississippi State (six). Obviously, the Bulldogs played a stronger conference schedule and have far more wins against the top 50 (21-14). But MSU’s six series losses are a black mark against it, as is its 8-9 record in road games (compared with Indiana’s 15-9 mark on the road). Bearing in mind that the landscape could still change over the next three days, we’d rank the contenders for that last national seed in this order: Indiana, Mississippi State, UCLA, Oregon, Louisville.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/thursday-roundup-hokies-hogs-continue-to-surge/

Sandman14
05-24-2013, 02:38 PM
ya'll got my hopes up a couple days ago, but 4% was right on the money. nevertheless, I'll gladly take a matchup in the supers AT Indiana.

SaltyDawg
05-24-2013, 02:40 PM
So a RPI roughly 4-5 spots higher and 12 less wins (bear in mind we also have a higher win percentage) against the RPI Top 50 get you ranked ahead of MSU? I guess we've been going about this all wrong. After seeing Oregon's and Louisville's record against Top 50- they shouldn't even have a shot at it.

I seen it dawg
05-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Huh? Seriously go on the road to play a Super vs playing at home? I don't care who is on the list coming to our place lets get after it. Never go on the road if you can stay home in a Super.

SaltyDawg
05-24-2013, 02:44 PM
So it looks like it's either Florida State or NC State for a national seed, but not both because that would give ACC four national seeds. Is that correct?

CadaverDawg
05-24-2013, 02:53 PM
but 4% was right on the money.

Haha I see what you did there

messageboardsuperhero
05-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Just an FYI, Indiana's SOS is in the 70s, so that helps too.

The way I see it, we're basically competing with Indiana and Oregon for the #8 seed, since NC state and FSU are hopefully just competing for one spot. As of today, we have 43 wins and a top 10 RPI and SOS. We're also 21-14 v. top 50. Neither Indiana nor Oregon has that kind of balance in their resumes. The biggest thing holding us back is our road record and some of those early series loses against Arky, Kentucky, Cent. Arkansas, etc. Also, getting swept at Vandy didn't help any either.

If we do get a national seed though, I'd like our chances against just about anyone we'd face at Dudy Noble in a regional and super. The park is built for our team, and the crowds would be insane. There's a good chance attendance would break 15k more than once. We'd have an almost unfair home field advantage.

CadaverDawg
05-24-2013, 03:19 PM
The biggest issue we have is that the "experts" seem to think the committee is wanting a team outside of the SEC or ACC for that last host spot. So if Oregon doesn't get it, they wanted Louisville...but Louisville choked, so now they are pimping Indiana...If Indiana chokes, they will have to with either us or NCState. And since they won't give the ACC 4 Natty Seeds, that would leave us to take that 8th spot.

It's going to take us winning AND getting some help. We really need Oregon to lose 2 of 3 to Utah, Indiana to lose to Ohio State, and of course we need to win.

gravedigger
05-24-2013, 03:22 PM
might be difficult to get over 15k with students gone. more than once would be less likely.

mparkerfd20
05-24-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm calling it. The pundits are wrong and we're getting the National 7 seed.

Edit: if resumes mean anything a win today and we're clearly a national seed.

theloungeinleft
05-24-2013, 11:34 PM
"Indiana ranks 14th in the RPI?no small feat for a Big Ten team?and owns a 9-8 record against the top 50 and a 13-10 record against the top 100. The Hoosiers have more top 50 wins than Oregon (6-10) and UCLA (5-8), and considerably fewer series losses (one) than Mississippi State (six). Obviously, the Bulldogs played a stronger conference schedule and have far more wins against the top 50 (21-14). But MSU?s six series losses are a black mark against it, as is its 8-9 record in road games (compared with Indiana?s 15-9 mark on the road).Bearing in mind that the landscape could still change over the next three days, we?d rank the contenders for that last national seed in this order: Indiana, Mississippi State, UCLA, Oregon, Louisville.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/thursday-roundup-hokies-hogs-continue-to-surge/

Then I don't understand why they are still comparing series losses. SEC > B1G. And yeah, we were 8-9 on the road, but shouldn't it be somewhat accounted for that we were a victim of double headers for 2 of those series?...In the SEC.