PDA

View Full Version : Well, after watching the USA game not much has changed for me...

maroonmania
09-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Still have questions in the same areas I had after the UAB game, pass defense and FG kicking. We still looked very vulnerable in the passing game but it was obvious both in throwing and catching that USA's skill guys were nowhere near as polished in the passing game as UAB was. But I'm still very concerned that a sophisticated passing game will eat us up. Will be interesting to see how we hold up against LSU in that regard who is still more of a running team. Also, again no FGs attempted. Can we make a pressure FG in these next 3 games that could win or lose the game? I highly doubt it based on what we have observed so far.

These are the 2 pressing concerns to me, not the lack of playmakers on offense like the Bounds guy is talking about. Heck, we've scored 49, 47 and 35 points in our first 3 games while really not even trying to score in the 4th quarter. We've only scored 7 points in all 3 4th quarters combined this year and that was very early 4th against USM because in all 3 games we've been just running clock for the most part. This is the most productive, prolific offense Mullen has ever had to date so of all problem areas we might have I don't see how a "lack of playmakers" on offense is at the top of that list. Now I know LSU's defense will be at a whole other level from our first 3 opponents but given the production we've had relative to the number of series Dak has been on the bench I'm not sure how the offense can be listed as an issue until we see another team regularly stop us.

justwin
09-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Not as worried about the DBs. We had 2 picks and could've had 3 more. I think Bridge is one of the top three QBs were going to play this year besides Hill & Marshall....menaing Bridge made passes that other QBs we face won't be able to do.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not too worried about FG kicking. I think Sobiesk is the guy and he's going to hit >60% within 40 yards and that's all we really need.

Still have questions in the same areas I had after the UAB game, pass defense and FG kicking. We still looked very vulnerable in the passing game but it was obvious both in throwing and catching that USA's skill guys were nowhere near as polished in the passing game as UAB was. But I'm still very concerned that a sophisticated passing game will eat us up. Will be interesting to see how wee hold up against LSU in that regard who is still more of a running team. Also, again no FGs attempted. Can we make a pressure FG in these next 3 games that could win or lose the game? I highly doubt it based on what we have observed so far.

These are the 2 pressing concerns to me, not the lack of playmakers on offense like the Bounds guy is talking about. Heck, we've scored 49, 47 and 35 points in our first 3 games while really not even trying to score in the 4th quarter. We've only scored 7 points in all 3 4th quarters combined this year and that was very early 4th against USM because in all 3 games we've been just running clock for the most part. This is the most productive, prolific offense Mullen has ever had to date so of all problem areas we might have I don't see how a "lack of playmakers" on offense is at the top of that list. Now I know LSU's defense will be at a whole other level from our first 3 opponents but given the production we've had relative to the number of series Dak has been on the bench I'm not sure how the offense can be listed as an issue until we see another team regularly stop us.

maroonmania
09-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Not as worried about the DBs. We had 2 picks and could've had 3 more. I think Bridge is one of the top three QBs were going to play this year besides Hill & Marshall....menaing Bridge made passes that other QBs we face won't be able to do.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not too worried about FG kicking. I think Sobiesk is the guy and he's going to hit >60% within 40 yards and that's all we really need.

Granted USA receivers dropped passes regularly but Bridge was not as good of a passer as the 2 UAB guys were from what I saw.

Political Hack
09-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Granted USA receivers dropped passes regularly but Bridge was not as good of a passer as the 2 UAB guys were from what I saw.

here's a secret... neither are either of LSU's QBs.

Irondawg
09-15-2014, 02:15 PM
I know this is ticky tak, but I hate the fact that we've scored 7 points in all the 4th quarters. What really bugged me in the 4th against USA was how lazy we played it on both sides of the ball. i know we were up 35-3 and we weren't going to lose, but those guys that were in there were pretty much half assing it. You're not getting any better doing that and you certainly aren't giving the coaches anything to see to move up the depth chart. DL barely moved, LB's didn't fly to the ball, OL barely tried to block anything. There's no reason our 3rd stringers shouldn't be putting forth the same effort as the guys in front of them. Of course Shump and Holloway and Nick are going to look back when the O-line barely attempts to block anybody.

maroonmania
09-15-2014, 03:14 PM
here's a secret... neither are either of LSU's QBs.

Well even if we pull of the LSU win there is still lots of football ahead with better QBs to defend starting with Kenny Hill.